Not sure what is going on Female Veiled

NatesChams

Female Veiled Chameleon 1 year 1 month Old.

Handling: She is very nice and loves to be held. I take her out of the cage just about every day. She won’t hiss or bite at all. She has a very strong grip also.

Feeding: I feed her 5 Crickets on Sun, 10 Crickets on Mon, 15 Crickets on Fri. I also supplement super worms, meal worms and duias on Wed. I breed my own Crickets and Dubias and gutload with dry food from my supplier. I also gutload with mustard greens, spring mix lettuce, oranges, apples, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, and potatoes.
Supplements: I dust my feeders every feeding with Calcium w/o D3. 1st and 3rd Monday I dust with ReptiVite w/ D3 every month. I will skip a dust every now and then since she is over a year now but not too often.

Watering: I mist the cage 3-4 times Daily. 9am, 12pm, 4pm. I also mist at 6pm on shedding days. I also have a dripper that I run from 12am to 4pm.

Fecal: Fecal is dark black/brown color. Urate is white with a little yellow/orangish.(I know it seems she might be a little dehydrated but I see her drinking often and she is getting plenty of water to drink).Not really sure how often but at least 1-2 times a week.

History: I have had her since she was 4 months old. She has never had any problems in the past.

Cage: She has a 18x18x36 screen cage that she has had since I got her. I clean it once every month from top to bottom.

Lighting: Basking - 5.5in Fluker Dimmable w/ Zoo Med 75 watt basking bulb. UVB- r Zilla slimline t8 fixture w/ Zoo Med 5.0 T8 1 month old.

Temperature: Basking 84-86(Current 85), High Temp 78-82(Current Top 80) Low Temp 74-76(Current Bottom 76)

Humidity: Current is 60%

Plants/ Laying Bin: She has a 12in deep Plastic Flower pot with 65% Organic Soil/35% Screen Washed Sand. She currently has a pothos plant in it. I have a schefflera arboricola waiting to put in her cage after she lays her eggs.(Been waiting quite a few months)
Placement: In our reptile room. Current Temp 74. All 4 of our chameleons are in a row, each separated by a divider. No duct work just a radiator that is off(summer) and no A/C or Fan. I breed my own crickets and dubia in there. 2 Other Veiled (One Male, One Female) and a Male Panther all are healthy and well. I do have a dog and 2 cats that sometime go in when the door is open but they don't climb on the cages. I have tried putting a pillow case over the front of the cage to see if that would help but no change to the problem(dark color).

Egg Laying: She has yet to lay eggs. She has had a egg laying bin since 5 months old.I have felt her stomach multiple time to check for eggs and have never felt anything nor no signs of not eating the occasional not eating every cricket(leaving like 3-4 behind)(loves worms never misses one of them) but not at the bottom of the cage.

Breeding: July 4th 2014 was first time she mated. We tried a month before this and she got gravid and starting hissing and bouncing. On that day I took her out of the cage and when she was by the males cage she got very bright(First time I have seen her bright in about 3 weeks and didn't get a picture of that) and she started reaching and grabbing at his cage. Although she was not showing robin egg blue colors as soon as I opened his cage she crawled right in and just sat there. As soon as she saw the male she turned dark again even darker then she has been almost gravid.
VIDEO_0000028185.jpg

(Picture does not do any justice looked a lot darker in real life) He advanced her and she accepted. After about 40 mins she started walking away and he grabbed her and pulled her back and she accepted again but this time about halfway through she turned gravid but was not fighting still just accepting
IMAG0146.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg
. After another 20 mins they went their separate ways with her starting to hiss a little bit.
Other Info: She has a tight grip almost feels like she could chop a finger off haha, Loves to come out of her cage and walk and climb around. We have a fake tree in the living room that she will go all over. She basks in her cage a lot but also goes all around it. She hunts food all around her cage as well. She will every once and a while lay with her chin on a branch but not very often she is usually sitting legs cocked and up in the air. She seems very healthy other than her color of dark. I have had a real time webcam on her for past 2 weeks to monitor her while I am gone and every time I check it she is somewhere else in the cage. She does not seemed to be stressed. Here is 2 pictures of her about a month ago.

IMAG0068.jpg
IMAG0066.jpg

Problem: Dark in Color for the past 3 weeks. Even when basking. I have not seen anything on this site or elsewhere that is is normal so if it is please inform me. I am out of ideas and asking the great people here for wisdom and/or ideas.
IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

Questions:
1. Is the dark color she is showing normal or should I be worried and if so any suggestions on a why or how to change.
2. Is it normal for a chameleon to mate without showing the robin egg colors?
3. Is it normal for a chameleon to let a male finish even is she is gravid?
4. Should I still be worried because she hast laid eggs and even though she just mated?
5. Could her colors just be messed up or something seems like she is doing the opposite of what she should be showing.

Also Thank You for reading and spending your time trying to help me.

I have stated that above I will quote things so it is easier for you to read.(not trying to be rude so please don't take it that way)

Plants/ Laying Bin: She has a 12in deep Plastic Flower pot with 65% Organic Soil/35% Screen Washed Sand. She currently has a pothos plant in it. I have a schefflera arboricola waiting to put in her cage after she lays her eggs.(Been waiting quite a few months)

Egg Laying: She has yet to lay eggs. She has had a egg laying bin since 5 months old.I have felt her stomach multiple time to check for eggs and have never felt anything nor no signs of not eating, the occasional not eating every cricket(leaving like 3-4 behind)(loves worms never misses one of them) but not at the bottom of the cage.

Plus she did just mate with my male about 3 days ago, I could be wrong but I don't think she will mate if she has eggs. Right?

Last edited:
I have stated that above I will quote things so it is easier for you to read.(not trying to be rude so please don't take it that way)

Plus she did just mate with my male about 3 days ago, I could be wrong but I don't think she will mate if she has eggs. Right?

You might try a different kind of laying bin. The females can be really picky about where they lay. I had one I had to use a large trash can for a laying bin. Also I have never been able to feel eggs in my female veileds. Once even my vet couldn't feel any and she laid in a few days after his visit. The only way to know for sure if there's eggs is an x-ray but from that last photo she look like she's really to lay to me unless she's just really fat. :)

I assume they could mate at anytime in their cycle but late in the cycle the eggs would probably not be fertile unless she had mated before.

If she only mated on July 4th she won't lay eggs yet. It will depend on where she was in her cycle somewhat but generally takes about thirty days from mating. It's still important to have a proper placing her cage for her to dig when she needs to.

I will try a bigger laying bin like a trash can with just plain sand as a different medium. I'm guessing she won't lay eggs yet since she is still eating like normal. She is maybe a little fat haha but I don't think to much. The picture of her with the male, the male is only 7 months old and she is 1 year 1 month. As for her cycle I have no idea because she has never laid eggs yet and is kind of scaring me. I am hoping she lays them within the next month. I just don't understand her behavior has not changed one bit just her color is dark.

EDIT:

Also that last picture I think she was puffed out a little bit. She is a little camera shy sometimes. I have seen her go fully gravid from putting a camera in front of her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom