Orchids! and instructional guide (mostly phals and Psh)

atsutane

so right now i have 4 different phal orchids and two Hawaiian orchids that are the same plant but split, and im going to get another here pretty quick.

they are a little more time consuming than other plants, but not more so than any cham, and they make good additions to your cage because they will flower and thrive in the chams environment. with proper knowledge they can be as easy to take care of as African violets.

though not the best choice of protection or climbing vegetation, they are a simple addition to your chams cage and with a little observance, can be a cheap addition too.

most orchids will sell at 20-40$ a piece, then get taken home and shortly die after the flowers fall off because people do not know how to take care of them.

im no expert, but what i have been doing has been working and all of mine have flowered more than once and are quite happy from the looks of it.

the pictures are slightly bad but bear with me.

step 1) finding the orchid for you: there are a few different types of orchids commonly found, the most being the Phalaenopsis Orchids, and occasionally the Prosthechea or "Psh" orchids. i have had some experience with other species, but they are much more difficult IMO to take care of.

"phals" are characterized by a main plant consisting mainly of a few dark meaty leafs and the flower petals are very round and come in a variety of colors. they seem to be the most tolerant of different temperatures and are the easiest to get to flower often. they love cooler temps 75day 65 night.

"Psh" orchids are characterized by bulbs that have "grassy sprouts" off the bulbs. the flowers often are more slender and star shaped than the "phals."
psh orchids like a little higher temps, 80-90day, 70 night, to flower, but can easily sit in a window with phals at 75ish day and 65ish night and do well, rarely flowering though.

i have 4 phals, the pink and yellow, the yellow and maroon "jaw" (both pictured below), as well as a pure white and a white with purple veins. all but one of my orchids is planted in a sphagnum moss / bark perlite charcoal mix. the other two are the same "Psh"orchid from Hawaii.

watering is the trickiest part about an orchid, but with a few simple rules, it becomes quite easy.

#1 dont drown your orchid. they need water often, but like to have their feet dry out between waterings. im not sayign let your orchid get bone dry, just make sure the soil your orchid is in isnt soggy...

#2 mist the foliage too, orchids live on the sides of trees up in the canopy. they get high humidity and bright indirect light in their natural environment. its easy to simulate that if you put your orchid in or next to a cham cage and mist it whenever your cham gets misted. I will sometime mist mine as often as 4 -5 times a day and sometimes as little as 0-1 times a day and they all do fine either way.

#3 when misting phals, make sure water doesnt collect excessively at the "crown" of the leaves. this can cause crown rot, and from that point its very difficult to save that orchid because new foliage sprouts from the crown. I mist mine fiarly heavily and will grab a towel just to wipe the center if water is collecting too much in the crown.

#4 make sure the soil the orchid is potted in is conducive to some airflow/ easy to dry between watering. as i mentioned above, mine are planted in a bark with some charcoal and perlite with a pinch or two of sphagnum to keep a little more moisture in if the orchid needs it or i forget to water a few days. this way i can water light/ moderatley on a daily or every 3rd day basis. (basically i will mist the whole plant and squirt 5-10 streams from the mister into the soil)

however, if your orchid is planted only in sphagnum moss, then the water retention is much higher and you should water less, misting 4-6 sprays when the sphag dries out on the top 1.5cm or so. the one orchid I keep in sphagnum moss i will pour enough water into the plant to where if i were to wring out the moss only about half would come out easily. keeping the moss more moist than damp, and only watering every 3rd day or so.

step 2) Buying an orchid

when you walk into the store and see the orchids on display, they are quite beautiful... very beautiful in fact, until you see the price tag. 20$, 30$, 40$ i have even seen a phal orchid in bloom for 55$... outrageous and highway robery i say!

there is a simple solution, resist the urge when the first shipment comes in, let other buy off the better looking plants and come back in a week or so. the store usually has no idea how to properly take care of the plant, the flowers will soon drop off the plant and then they cant sell the orchid for as much and soon the prices will tumble.

the white phal orchid i bought, i saw for sale at 40$ in bloom, when it lost its blooms it was only 20. the pink and yellow one was 20 at walmart, i got it for 5 a week later. only thing wrong with it was it needed to be re situated in its pot because it was falling over.

simple strategy to get cheap orchids and with proper care they bounce back very fast.

In summary

keep watering, soil, light and temps in mind and your orchids should do well, all these things can be achieved if the orchid is placed in a good location in your chams cage and you mist the orchid along with your cham.

happy hunting :)

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 180
Ive been thinking of doing a pggmy cage and i think that they would look awesome in an exo terra. Or maybe one of those protean vivs.

luckey! i wish i knew of a nursery who specifically grew orchids and gave me a deal on them XD...

my dream job would be growing lots of orchids and breding chams... but for now im just trying my best at aerospace :p

I usually buy the ones in the 2-3'' pots because they are a ton cheaper and I get to grow them up form little babies. If they grow up large and flower I know its because of me.

I don't really have any hobbies but all my money goes to school so I have none.

Caution

Most orchids should be considered poisonous to grazing animals and should not be used in environments where the might be eaten.

Also note that orchids grown commercially are sprayed heavily with insecticides and fungicides which might present a danger to chameleons as they drink water from the leaves. Washing and wiping the leaves repeatedly would be my recommendation before placing any orchid into an animal cage.

The bark chips that plants are grown in might present a danger of impaction if ingested by an animal.

On the cultural side: orchids grown in bark chips need air to circulate around their roots. The pots should not be covered or buried. These arboreal orchids usually need good air circulation to thrive. Fungus diseases are very hard to prevent in an enclosed environment. Orchids usually need very high, to extremely high light levels to bloom.

Young leaves, soft shoots, and flower buds on orchids are very fragile and could be easily damaged by a small chameleon.

On a positive note: terrestrial orchids such as jewel orchids (Ludisia discolor) might like be good candidates for pygmy environments.

I have lots of orchids that bloom great! I always thought they were toxic to chams. Even if they weren't, I wouldn't put mine in with Rupert. I have some that cost too much to be eaten...haha

Most orchids should be considered poisonous to grazing animals and should not be used in environments where the might be eaten.

Also note that orchids grown commercially are sprayed heavily with insecticides and fungicides which might present a danger to chameleons as they drink water from the leaves. Washing and wiping the leaves repeatedly would be my recommendation before placing any orchid into an animal cage.

The bark chips that plants are grown in might present a danger of impaction if ingested by an animal.

On the cultural side: orchids grown in bark chips need air to circulate around their roots. The pots should not be covered or buried. These arboreal orchids usually need good air circulation to thrive. Fungus diseases are very hard to prevent in an enclosed environment. Orchids usually need very high, to extremely high light levels to bloom.

Young leaves, soft shoots, and flower buds on orchids are very fragile and could be easily damaged by a small chameleon.

On a positive note: terrestrial orchids such as jewel orchids (Ludisia discolor) might like be good candidates for pygmy environments.

Not all orchids need high light. phals and paphs are low light orchids.They need about 1200 footcandles.

I grow all of my orchids under flourescent lights.

I totally agree about the pesticides and fungicides in the larger nurseries that mass produce them.

while light is important for some of the species to bloom ie. Cattleyas. probably the most important factor is night time temps.

I personally would not used them in the screen cage environment, but a viv that has high humidity and good air circulation they can be great.

luckey! i wish i knew of a nursery who specifically grew orchids and gave me a deal on them XD...

my dream job would be growing lots of orchids and breding chams... but for now im just trying my best at aerospace :p

I don't know of any in Iowa. but you can look to see if there is an orchid society near you.

Back
Top Bottom