Orange Head (Eublaberus posticus) Roach Cannibal Connundrum

I don't know how they could feel threatened or crowded, their enclosure is huge, out of the way, heated, decent humidity, and cared for like pets and not groceries.
Cleaning out the enclosure yesterday I found 90% of what I have fed to him hiding in the bottom. With the warm weather coming I am getting nervous about uneaten critters escaping into the house and if Nick Barta's feeder doesn't work out, I think I might have to consider looking for someone to adopt. I appreciate the beauty of this creature but I don't trust him and the live insects are a hobby unto themselves.
I've always made his heath, feeding, and hygiene #1 and have done everything possible to be sure he never feels threatened but he is, for lack of a better word, sullen and jumpy.
He's a "teenager", but really how much will he calm down as an adult? In the last 2 months I've given up trying to handle him because apart from the fact they don't seem to enjoy interacting with humans, this one makes it clear it's a big stress. I never go for him, always let him decide whether or not to visit outside the enclosure by slowly extending a hand below him and letting him crawl onto me, but lately he wants no part of it. I have 2 small kids that have grown up around exotics so they understand the rules of handling but I'm completely uncomfortable even considering letting them handle him, his teeth are big now.
Very depressed at how this has all turned out.

I think you're making things more work than they have to be. If I were you I'd switch to substrate(bio if course) and never have to worry about cleaning. Everything doesn't need to be constantly sanitized. I don't clean my roach bins and I don't feed crickets. I spend so little time on this hobby as far as maintenance goes. I am constantly tweaking and upgrading things though, but that's out of my choosing.

Back
Top Bottom