Optimus' big new home! - Build Thread

OptimusCham

Okay so the title pretty much sums up this thread really. Optimus is my 6.5 month old Ambilobe Panther & it won't be long until he will need to upgrade from his current 2' x 2' x 3' home.

I'm only in the planning stages of the new viv, taking measurements, drawing up designs and the like. I'll be posting any and all drawings & building work for this massive project.

If I miss something out & you want to know what I did for something just let me know & I'll either tell you or take some pictures for you :)

(sorry for the large images. I couldn't manage to upload them as attachments on the iPad :()

Okay so this is where I intend for the viv to go. I hope to buy a new, slightly smaller TV & to wall mount it at the end of my bed so it's out of the way, then shift the drawers up so they're level with the corner of the wall (where the laundry basket is). In the gap between the drawers & the wall (with the mirror on) I'll make a cupboard the same height as the drawers which will store a bucket or something similar for drainage water).
image_zpsa972c999.jpg

These are my plans so far. Just the rough dimensions & a simple floor plan to illustrate the shape & concept of what I intend to be making.
image_zps041b8568.jpg

Now that I've moved the tv from the corner (got it at the end of my bed on two plastic tubs with some wood on top, very ghetto tv unit ahaha), I can really see how much that corner of my room gets hit with the afternoon sun! Optimus is going to love that in the summer when it's warm enough for me to have my window open to hopefully let the natural unfiltered light shine in :D

image_zpsc0f12178.jpg

Thanks c: there's going to be so much planning, designing & preparation work going into this build, but as it's more than likely going to be his final home (unless a bigger space becomes available) I want to put a lot of effort into making it perfect :)

Thanks to that big storm we had Sunday night/Monday morning, this lovely big branch had broken off one of the trees at the end of the garden (technically it's behind our garden & I'm unable to get access to that area). So today I think I'll be cleaning & preparing it for the viv :) what do you all think?

image_zpsc1628b3f.jpg

Okay so a lot had happened in the past months and the build has gone in a new direction. Instead of the original design, I'm now converting a 3x4x2 ft vivexotic viv. The thing I'm most pleased about so far is the bottle feeder which I've tried to hide as much as possible.

Opinions on this idea please? :)
image_zps482deed0.jpg

Just a couple concerns... The enclosure is made of particle board which will swell and rot in no time flat once it gets wet.. all the exposed edges, seems, cracks, etc will have to be sealed with silicone.. Easier to do it now then have to build a new enclosure 3 months down the road

Just a couple concerns... The enclosure is made of particle board which will swell and rot in no time flat once it gets wet.. all the exposed edges, seems, cracks, etc will have to be sealed with silicone.. Easier to do it now then have to build a new enclosure 3 months down the road

Don't worry, I'm fully aware of that & have silicone & plastic edging to cover any exposed areas.

Back
Top Bottom