Ophelia stuck on tape... she's okay

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
Ya just never know what might cause harm, so I'm posting this in case it happens to anyone else.

New, big enclosure for Ophelia. As I was putting it together, the screwdriver slipped and I put a hole in the mesh in the farthest bottom corner. I only taped it up because I didn't want the hateful crickets to find it and escape. I put black duct tape on both sides of the mesh and spent what I thought was a decent amount of time squishing it all together. I would have bet money she would never go to that spot anyway.

Somehow, yesterday, she ended up wearing the black tape. Halloween costume, maybe? I dunno, but what the actual heck?!?! How did this happen??

I call the vet, and head the 2.5 hours in traffic to get there and they closed 30 minutes early (eventhough they know I'm coming. I'm pissed). Call an after hours vet who just happen to have a vet who works with reptiles. But I've never heard of him and it sounds sketchy (at least to an over protective reptile mom... don't even start in on me about the tape, m'kay? I KNOW! Ugh). But it's on my way home and shes already been in the travel box for over 3 hours now, so I go. Long story short (I'll omit how I caused a scene when they wanted to take Ophelia into the back without me)... they applied the adhesive remover they use when taking off a catheter or surgical tape. Took 60 seconds.

And happy ending. Shes fine, her delicate skin is fine. She is drinking and eating. I'll keep my eye on her, but WHEW!! what a night.

Attachments

• 20191031_143449.jpg
    20191031_143449.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20191101_091230.jpg
    20191101_091230.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 20191101_114139.jpg
    20191101_114139.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 146
Good on you for realizing that you need help removing the tape. If you would have pulled it yourself without a safe solution to dissolve the adhesive it would have caused some serious damage. Crazy how it ended up on her back like that, life is always on some bullshit lmao! Glad your girl is ok!

Bill

Good on you for realizing that you need help removing the tape. If you would have pulled it yourself without a safe solution to dissolve the adhesive it would have caused some serious damage. Crazy how it ended up on her back like that, life is always on some bullshit lmao! Glad your girl is ok!

Bill

So true... it's always something lol I am really stumped on how she ended up wearing it... honestly! I mean it's in the very, very back farthest most bottom corner. What did she do, walk down there and rub herself on the tape?? Omg seriously.

No, I took one look at that stuck to her and knew I didn't have the right tools.

Back
Top Bottom