Online Cricket Purchasing

Supercilious

Good Morning Chameleon Lovers,

I just got a young veiled chameleon. He is roughly the size of my pinkie and is doing well in his new home. PetCo is the only store that has crickets small enough for him and they charge fifteen cents a pop, so I am going to purchase some online. I am thinking of ordering 250 of the smallest possible and storing them in plastic tub. It seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Does anyone have any experience with keeping this many crickets, if so and suggestions? What is the best place to order crickets?

Anything else, you suggest feeding this little guy, he is rather small and don't think mini mealworms will provide much nutrients.

Rainbowmealworms is where I get mine I would order the pinhead crickets and you can also gutload them with kale greens and veggies at home I keep mine in a critter keeper

+1 on rainbowmealworms.com . I think it's 200 for $4.50. You will loose some no matter what you do but if half die you are still way ahead on saving money. I prefer a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium with a hot side and a cold side.

Roaches are a great feeder staple and live longer. very few die.

I keep my crickets in a large plastic bin with most of the lid cut out and covered in aluminum window screen. I put 4 inches of packing tape around the top edges to prevent climbing out. I have heat supplied from below to about half of the bottom. I stack cardboard egg cartons vertically with some air space between. They get dry gut load and fresh veggies for moisture. I gut load the ones I plan to feed off with a variety of wet veggie gut load the day or night before.

I've purchased from Rainbow and flukers. Had a DOA box from flukers which they quickly replaced. I also use a set up similar to Jacksjill's description with a large tote and aluminum screen (they can chew they other screen types so stick to metal)

With that little of a cham., pinheads are a good choice. If ordering from Rainbow, try a culture of fruit flies too and see if they have tiny 1/8 dubias that they would be willing to ship, or find a friend with a dubia colony. Rainbow has been good to me and their cust. serv. is second to none.

Back
Top Bottom