One Sunken Eye Issue

Silverdusk

Hello all, first off I want to let you all know I have an appointment for Wilson Thursday afternoon. I wanted to post here beforehand and see if I can cool down some of my concerns with any help you might have to offer.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Alum. Screen Cage 24" x 24" x 36"

* Lighting - I am using a 48" florescent fixture with one 48" Reptisun 5.0, one normal 48" florescent bulb and one 65 watt frosted bulb for warmth. Schedule right now is from 6 am until 7pm Monday through Sunday

* Temperature Temps during the day are 100-95 basking spot down to 74 at the bottom of the cage and at night the temps are between 80-74 degrees. I use a digital therm. and a laser for accuracy.

* Humidity - Hum. is right at 76- 80 percent. I live at the beach, it's constant.

* Plants - I'm using a Schefflera - the right kind :)

* Location - Cage is in my bedroom. It's tallest point is 6'5". No ceiling fan, but occasionally a oscillating floor fan. My Cham is very mellow, not stressed at all.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Panther, Male, 7 months old. I've had him for 4 months in my care.

* Handling - Once a week to just check him over thoroughly. He actually runs to my hand so he can look around.

* Feeding - He eats once a day. I feed him during lunch. Approximately 10 medium crickets. He won't eat anything else. I've tried Dubias, Wax worms, meal worms, super worms, stick bugs, silkworms, phoneix worms. So with that said my crickets eat better than I do. They have a very good mixture of rice, grains, seaweed, bee pollen etc. I give them fresh vegetable and fruit every other day.

* Supplements - I use Herptivite Monday and Thursday, REpcal w/ D3 Tuesday and Friday, Mineral "Sticky Tongues" Weds and Saturday. and plain calcium on every other Sunday.

* Watering - He Drinks like a horse. I use a Mistking misting system. I run it for 3 mins at 9am, 3 1/2 mins at 1pm and 3 mins at 5pm. I also drip daily for an hour and hand spray from time to time.

* Fecal Description Firm and two part. White and black.

* History - I got him from a reputable breeder, we all know :)

* Current Problem - One of his eyes seems sunken in as you can see in the pictures and He blinks with the eye in question frequently I'm also a little worried about the lack of coloration around his eye turrets. He uses the eye and well. His aim is unwavering, he doesn't paw or rub at it, but does roll his eyeball in the socket from time to time. This is only been happening the last two days. I also have a female in the same room and on the same lighting, watering etc and she is perfect!

I was considering giving his eye a saline flush, but wanted to see the vet about that.

I've given him a couple of warmish showers for about 20mins each time, once a day for the last two days.

Thank you all for your help.

WilsonWorries4.jpg

WilsonWorries3.jpg

WilsonWorries2.jpg

WilsonConcerns.jpg

Last edited:
How long has his eye been "sunken" like this? I had a veiled that had the same problem, only much, much more noticeable. He was born with his eye turret this way and it never seemed to affect him in the least. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a diagnosis. Based on my own experience, if it were an abscess, you would typically see a swelling , rather then a retraction of the eye.

-Cala-

Thank you!! No the Turret was normal and looked like the other one since birth.

Does anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?

You said..."Supplements - I use Herptivite Monday and Thursday, REpcal w/ D3 Tuesday and Friday, Mineral "Sticky Tongues" Weds and Saturday. and plain calcium on every other Sunday"...is the minerall I or O (Indoors or outside)? I only use the vitamins (Herptivite) twice a month lightly. I use phos.-free calcium at most feedings and phos.-free calcium/D3 twice a month lightly. If the minerall is the indoors type it can be used in place of one of the two dustings of phos.-free calcium/D3...if its the outdoors type it can be used to substitute for one of the phos.-free calcium feedings.

Not sure if that can be playing a part in the eyes or not.

You said..."Supplements - I use Herptivite Monday and Thursday, REpcal w/ D3 Tuesday and Friday, Mineral "Sticky Tongues" Weds and Saturday. and plain calcium on every other Sunday"...is the minerall I or O (Indoors or outside)? I only use the vitamins (Herptivite) twice a month lightly. I use phos.-free calcium at most feedings and phos.-free calcium/D3 twice a month lightly. If the minerall is the indoors type it can be used in place of one of the two dustings of phos.-free calcium/D3...if its the outdoors type it can be used to substitute for one of the phos.-free calcium feedings.

Not sure if that can be playing a part in the eyes or not.

Why is it not affecting both eyes?

Possible irritation....

Irritation of the eye and discomfort can cause it to retract inward a bit. The blinking activity would go with that too. The vet will exam the eye and flush it with saline. You need a special perfectly smooth tool that fits onto a syringe to do that. He may need a topical antibiotic ointment too. Going to the vet is the best thing to do. He may have gone a particle stuck in there or scratched the eye somehow. It's a good sign that it still looks pretty clear and you didn't mention any discharge. Let us know what you find out though. It's always interesting to find out what something really is.

Thanks again everyone!! I'll keep you updated on the prognosis.

As for the supplements. I'm only following the advice Dave Weldon, the Kammers and Chuck w/ Heroic Chams use on their Panthers. The only supp. w/ D3 is the Repcal w/ D3 .. When they reach 9 months to a year I'll drop the supps to once a week as they've advised.

sunken in eye

HI, I was reading yours and it sounds alot like mine. My male Panther has been doing this all winter too. He allows me to rub it and he rubs it on a tree. I was wondering if it might be small bugs? That are trying to get mosture? I do not have all as perfect as you with care, but if you find out what it might be can you let me know. Thanks so much.

Where is the calcium w/o D3?

I use Herptivite Monday and Thursday, REpcal w/ D3 Tuesday and Friday, Mineral "Sticky Tongues" Weds and Saturday. and plain calcium on every other Sunday

Mineral has it ... Also this is what I was going by: From the Kammers

Due to the lack of scientific research, nutritional supplementation for chameleons in captivity is largely a mystery. This is an area of chameleon care that must be determined individually by the chameleon keeper. The needs of each chameleon can vary depending on species and life stages (i.e. growing babies, egg laying females, mature adult males etc.).

The conventional wisdom is that both a vitamin and calcium supplement should be provided to captive chameleons but with widely differing opinions as to "how much" and "how often". Babies and juveniles have higher requirements due to their rapid growth rates while adults and fully mature chameleons require less since they have reached full size.

One of the best ways to ensure chameleons are getting proper nutrition is through the foods they eat. Supplements are in addition to a healthy diet. When we supplement, it is done "lightly and routinely". The prey items should be evenly coated but not "laden down" or smothered with supplements.

We use the following supplement products:

Herptivite (multivitamin with beta-carotene) - Mondays and Thursdays
Rep-Cal Calcium (calcium with and w/out vitamin D3 - depending on indoor or outdoor use) - Tuesdays and Fridays
Miner-All (calcium with essential trace minerals) - Wednesdays and Saturdays

Our adult males are supplemented with vitamins and calcium one time each per week.

Chamer - I sure will. I'll know something Tuesday by Mid day. My Cham is not pawing or rubbing at his eye though.

Is it Minerall I or Minerall O you are using??
If the minerall is the indoors type it can be used in place of one of the two dustings of phos.-free calcium/D3...if its the outdoors type it can be used to substitute for one of the phos.-free calcium feedings.

Wilson has/had a small scratch on his pupil. The Vet says it's a natural reaction to withdraw the eye inwards to stem off any pain associated with the injury.

The Vet took an eye/ear scope with a light and showed me the difference between the two pupils. The healthy eye was a lot more dilated than the injured one.

Here is the medication and the procedure. I'm to dose once a day -> one drop -> for 7 to 10 days. If he stresses to much and stops eating I'm to skip a treatment.

Tobramycin
Medication.jpg

Catheter
Catheter.jpg

Application:
Application.jpg

Wilson has/had a small scratch on his pupil. The Vet says it's a natural reaction to withdraw the eye inwards to stem off any pain associated with the injury.

The Vet took an eye/ear scope with a light and showed me the difference between the two pupils. The healthy eye was a lot more dilated than the injured one.

Here is the medication and the procedure. I'm to dose once a day -> one drop -> for 7 to 10 days. If he stresses to much and stops eating I'm to skip a treatment.

Tobramycin
Medication.jpg

Catheter
Catheter.jpg

Application:
Application.jpg

WOW I don't know if I would be able to do that :eek:

Wait so he has to poke the poor thing in the eye? :(

Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better..
Human gets an owie, has to pour alcohol in to clean it which burns like heck, but thats what needs to be done, right? Life goes on..

Kudos to you dude for taking your cham to the vet and having the responsibility to get him well again! :) Praying for a quick recovery.

Wait so he has to poke the poor thing in the eye? :(

Yes, in a manner I do have to. I hope you do not think I'll be getting any enjoyment out of it ether?

I'm simply doing what I think is the best for my animals health. He's my pet and I love him. I'll be as ginger as I can with him while doing the procedure. Also, I'm not really sticking him in the eye. I'm placing a drop of ointment inside of his eyelid and I can tell you, Wilson seems a lot better after only one treatment. So, if doing this causes him to be in less pain for having to put up with a little discomfort on both our parts, damn straight I'll do it.

I posted this to hopefully help all of us, in case someone and their Cham is/was suffering similar ailments.

Last edited:
Im glad Wilson is doing better!!!

The eye thing gave me shivers. Fred wouldn't have held still for that. I congratulate you! :)

Back
Top Bottom