OMG! What are you doing about heat lights after Jan1?

What was the temp at about 10'' (at basking spot)?

I don't know.

LOL

Seriously- I've had so many lizards for so many years that I set up a light, use the sensors built into my skin to check it often for the first few days and then when conditions change (hot or cold ambient) and then I observe the lizards to see if things are correct. Dark sedentary lizards or light hyperactive lizards = a problem.

Also keep in mind- I really don't care about exact basking temperatures because I prefer to set up thermogradients- large zones with gradual temperature changes depending on how near or far from the bulb. This is the best way for lizards- not hot spots of exactly such and such degrees and cold cages.

I do keep track of the ambient room temperature though. But there again- my ambient swings pretty wide too. Thermal gradients always give the lizards what they need no matter the room temperature, unless it gets truely hot in the room (mid 80s and above) and then the whole room is dealt with (hot air blown out of the building with a thermostatically controlled fan).

OK- so a quick update on what I've tried the past few days-

I got some soft white halogen 60 and 75 watt replacement bulbs from walmart- was 4 for about $6.

I also got a zilla mini halogen fixture and 50 watt bulb. $20 for fixture and $10 for the bulb.

I also got a 45 watt halogen spot from lowes. I think it was about $5

And I also found a clear halogen 100 watt replacement bulb at lowes. $2

The 60 watt replacement bulbs are OK- the 75 watt replacement would possibly work in my situation.

The zilla mini-halogen seems like a really good way to burn a lizard, and the light is so focused that it puts out hardly any usuable ambient light outside the spot and seems incapable of creating a gradient in a screen enclosure. It is hot hot in that spot though.

The 45 watt halogen spot was OK, but seemed a bit dim and not very warm. maybe a larger watt would work OK.

But my favorite by far was the clear halogen 100 watt replacement bulb. Looks a lot like a clear light bulb with a small halogen bulb inside the outer bulb. 72 watts. The light and heat penetrate all the way to the bottom of a 3' high screen cage, and creates a true thermal gradient when used with my 10.5" clamp dome reflector. The light is clean and white and bright. Might be a little on the strong side heat wise- didn't seem too hot, but at the moment I am having to refigure out the heat properties of my rebuilt building, along with far fewer enclosures. I saw a 75 watt replacement size of this bulb also at lowes- and I'll be checking that out to see if it is a better fit forlight my needs. But I'm pretty excited about these bulbs- I actually like the 72 watt 100 watt replacement bulb that I've tried better than the old regular incandescents. The light is so much brighter per watt- even brighter than the halogen soft whites by a lot too- and looks really nice and the heat gradient is better than a 75 or 60 watt incandescent too- the heat spreads further down from the bulb, yet it isn't super hot close to the bulb either.

That's probably the route I'm going to go with.

Hi, I also used these zilla bulbs and the fixture and my Tokay burnt all his feet. he was climbing the screen top and burnt himself. He fell right off the roof of the terrerium!!! DO NOT USE THESE!!!! The heat is way focus in the spot....

Thinking about buying the PAR20 FLood Halogens 50 watts, but am concerned about the size; does anyone know if it will fit in the ZooMed mini combo deep dome light fixture?

Thinking about buying the PAR20 FLood Halogens 50 watts, but am concerned about the size; does anyone know if it will fit in the ZooMed mini combo deep dome light fixture?

PAR20 lamps are small. Not likely more than 2" wide at the widest point. They fit fine into clip lights. You'll see people use them in small track lighting cans in home use.

PAR30 and PAR36's are the wider lamps that with just barely fit inside of a 4"clip light from Home Depot.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and purchased Philips '53w=75w Halogen Ecoflood light" from Home depot this morning. Fits in my light fixture dome like a charm and heats the basking area up to around 85 degrees. Don't know why i never thought about using these all along considering i having the larger ones in my outside porch and they're very durable and last long.

I'm just tired of those ZooMed heat lamps blowing out on me all the time with little use.

I too am going to stock up on some for out cooler months here in FL. Big Brother always is messing w/ stuff.

Last edited:
Are you guys getting enough heat out of a 60W bulb? I stocked up on 100, 150 and a few 200W bulbs earlier this year.

I'm currently using a 150W light bulb in my tank and it produces a temp of about 100-115on one side and 70-75 on the other side of the cage. And this is with the dome lamps resting right right on the top of the cage wire mesh!

My house is about 65 degrees in the winter with little or no heat being used.

60W bulbs NEVER got the temps were they needed to be. Store bulbs for lizards are WAY over priced.

I'm running to Kmart tommorow to see if they still had the 150W bulbs left. Krogers still sells the 40 & 60W bulbs. I guess they are using up all stock.

100-115 seems like that would be too hot for most chameleons. I keep mine in the low 80's. I have a jackson and a juvenile panther. With a bulb that hot, I'd be afraid of thermal burns if the chameleon decided to climb the screen or sit under the lamp too long.

Are you guys getting enough heat out of a 60W bulb? I stocked up on 100, 150 and a few 200W bulbs earlier this year.

I'm currently using a 150W light bulb in my tank and it produces a temp of about 100-115on one side and 70-75 on the other side of the cage. And this is with the dome lamps resting right right on the top of the cage wire mesh!

My house is about 65 degrees in the winter with little or no heat being used.

Ditto on the way to hot aspect. You are inviting your cham to burn himself. Regardless of the species, age, or sex, you need to bring those high temps down. If you can't get reasonalbe temps out of 60 watter, fine use the larger wattage bulb, but put an in-line manual dimmer on the larger wattage lamp and bring those temps down before you hurt your cham. Higher temps for a youngin can "cook" them. Higher temps for females can encourage eggs. Higher temps for all can burn. Caution Will Robinson. :rolleyes:

60 watt bulb I get 86 degrees. I'm in Florida though. Went to Walmart to buy more bulbs. Two Walmarts in my area are now out of stock on the generic 60 watt 4 pack for $1.00.

I've had to use 90 watt bulbs to get the temp to about 90 in the winter before (in a 60 degree room) but I've never had to use anything above that. 100-110 is really too warm for any pet species I can think of. Even 95 can be too hot for veileds if it's not set up properly (gradients and what not.)

Ditto on the way to hot aspect. You are inviting your cham to burn himself. Regardless of the species, age, or sex, you need to bring those high temps down. If you can't get reasonalbe temps out of 60 watter, fine use the larger wattage bulb, but put an in-line manual dimmer on the larger wattage lamp and bring those temps down before you hurt your cham. Higher temps for a youngin can "cook" them. Higher temps for females can encourage eggs. Higher temps for all can burn. Caution Will Robinson. :rolleyes:

yes I know. I'm looking at ways to adjust this. I've got a 100W bulb (72W halogen) I've put in his dome lamp instead of the 150W. Tomorrow morning I will monitor the temp.

On topic, I still bulbs in the local Kmart stores availble as "UTILITY BULBS" I wonder if these will be a loophole for these cheap, but well performing bulb?

I've had to use 90 watt bulbs to get the temp to about 90 in the winter before (in a 60 degree room) but I've never had to use anything above that. 100-110 is really too warm for any pet species I can think of. Even 95 can be too hot for veileds if it's not set up properly (gradients and what not.)

Out of curiousity, what size habitat? What type? (mesh, glass?)

EDIT: I tried a Walmart Great Value 100W Equivalent (72 actual watts). My temps are now in line. Stayed at 93 for most of the day on the hot side and 68 degrees on the cold side. Very happy...now to work on the humidity...

In case anyone cares, I'm using an Exo Terra 18x18x24 glass terrarium.

Back
Top Bottom