Ok so I'm not happy with the flexarium im gona make my own enclosure tips please

Josh diegosuarez

Hey people I got my flexarium set it up but it's inconvenient with the spraying as it comes out quite easy it's to dark and it's not very sturdy either :( .

So I'm making my own enclosure I'm thinking of a 4x2x2 wit wood sides n back n mesh top and front any thoughts people please it's my first attempt ? Thanks :) please be nice lol :p

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.712649,0.491690

I wasn't happy with my flexarium either and built my own. I started with two picture frame like squares, then built it up tall with 4 long pieces of wood, put a slant piece in every corner, then made a door, added some screen across all the sides, then to cover up the gnarled ends of the screen I used a corner piece that was cut all fancy like.

Hey! I actually justa built my own cage from cedar 2x2's made it a 2'x2'x4' with a black metal screen mesh material and it doesn't rust! You can staple the mesh on then cut it off with a box cutter. And then if you have the tools make yourself some to cover that. Depending on what you have at your disposal and what experience you have I can help you out!

I wasn't happy with my flexarium either and built my own. I started with two picture frame like squares, then built it up tall with 4 long pieces of wood, put a slant piece in every corner, then made a door, added some screen across all the sides, then to cover up the gnarled ends of the screen I used a corner piece that was cut all fancy like.

Got some pics of this?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.365606,-83.356551

This is a pic of the cage before it was finished!

Attachments

• Resampled_2011-12-22_17-46-13_426.jpg
    Resampled_2011-12-22_17-46-13_426.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 107
My Suggestion: Buy a screen cage on craigslist, cover the sides with plasic (corrugated plastic, or garbage bags) and you are done. I've found that building your own could cost the same or a bit more than buying one used. IMO

I'm in the UK too, and have just bought Monty a Reptibreeze for when he's a bit bigger. I plan on covering the back and maybe one side with plastic to help keep some humidity in for him. I

we got a temp set up for Arlo our panther cham but we went to second hand shop and got a welsh dresser that i am going to cut the sides out and replace with mesh, seal the inside and install a drain system and the works for him.

Tips? Let's see...I've made a few myself, and I'll tell you they're easiest when you already have a frame, like an old bookshelf, that you can line with plastic netting. Making a frame is not only costly, but trying to get it completely straight can be an art. The first ones I made all had wobbly frames I had to brace with L-brackets. So pay attention to the sturdiness of your frame.

Also keep in mind that if you have an auto sprinkler, you need to have a way to get rid of the water, whether it be a reservoir, absorbant cloths, or a straight up drain. Figure out a way to deal with it BEFORE you start construction, cause it can jam you up later on.

-Dave
SPF

My only tip is to add a foot of width, so it's 4'x3'x2'. Chameleons use a lot of horizontal space as well, I feel 2x2' is not big enough. I have a 5' wide cage and my panther patrols all of it, back and forth, all day long. He loves the extra width.

Use wooden frame, with black steel window screen. Make it as large as possible, i made mine 3X3X6.5 each cage. IF u have the space and the money make it BIG

Hey people I got my flexarium set it up but it's inconvenient with the spraying as it comes out quite easy it's to dark and it's not very sturdy either :( .

So I'm making my own enclosure I'm thinking of a 4x2x2 wit wood sides n back n mesh top and front any thoughts people please it's my first attempt ? Thanks :) please be nice lol :p

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.712649,0.491690

The only concern when using wood is rot. If you are planning on just using 2x4's for the post and screening around it, some good weatherproofing wood stain should suffice.

from what i've heard on other hobbyist forums though, a full wood panel will eventually rot even with stain... but a good MARINE GRADE EPOXY will seal it fully.

Back
Top Bottom