Ok.. So i bought the zoo med slider.. Please read!!!

scorpilon

Ok so I bought the zoo med slider the 30 " one to go on my 24 x 24 x 48 cage needless to say it sucks !! I bought it so I could use the tube lights that everyone said were better for the 18" reptisun 5.0 to fit in.. Anyway
What are people using for light the size light and wattage for there 24x 24x 48 ???? Please I am stuck with no lights now because I have to return this piece of junk!! They said it is the bett lighting out there bull---- !!

Personally for the 24" wide screen cages, I like the basic 24" hood that holds an 18" bulb. Nothing fancy and looks just fine. Then you can run your heat bulbs separate (there are multiple ways to do your heat, depending on the species you are keeping inside). You can either use standard ceramic dome lights, or the new zoo med combo mini deep dome fixture (pictured on our site in the light fixture section). The slider hoods are much more practical for a standard glass tank - not a screen cage in my opinion. Stick with the basic light fixtures for what you have. They will work much better for that cage!

Scott
LLLReptile & Supply
www.LLLReptile.com

Hi slider...I do what LLLReptile suggested for my 24x24x48 cage. Works really fine without spending more money then need be for fancy fixtures.

and you think that the 18 " would be just fine and i will not need a 24 " bulb ? Will it give off enough uvb for chameleons?

The 18" 5.0 is fine for that cage. Tough to find a 24" fixture that holds a 24" bulb. Ceramic bulb on a 4 foot cage? Probably a 100 watt, but totally depends on how warm your house gets during summer. Possible that it might be better to run a 60 watt ceramic, and maybe a 75 watt daytime basking bulb (this is why getting the combo mini deep dome fixture by zoo med works really well).

Good luck with the setup!

Scott
LLLReptile & Supply
www.LLLReptile.com

Hey scott well i ordered two 30" zoo meds and bulbs from you today I wish I wouldn't have ordered to quickly because i wanted to add drip trays to the order there are two types any thoughts on which one would be better for me i have live plants and am running a pro-mist system!!

I have the 18 " on there now and I dont' thik it was enough light for my heat bulb i am using a 60 watt glow bulb to help with my plants as well and it is getting close to 90 with it on!!!

Cool - hope those bulbs do the trick! As for the drip tray, one is to hold bedding, one is to catch water. There are pretty detailed pictures of both at the LLLReptile.com website as well, so whatever your preference. As for the 60 watt bulb, it is getting to 90 in a 4 foot screen cage? That's perfect if that's the case. One more thing you might add, which is great for people with more than one cage is an infrared temp gun. They are like 25 bucks, and are awesome. Then you can know the temp on the bottom, the top, and where your cham spends most of it's time. I even use mine when cooking! LOL. Great thing to have around, and they last (had mine 5 years now). Good luck again!

Scott
LLLReptile & Supply

You can buy a dual 18" lamp fixture from Lowe's for $20. You can install a 6500K lamp and the 5.0 lamp in the fixture. this will help your plants grow, provide more light and give your cham the UVB it needs.

Scott, do you guys sell Zoo Meds nature light in 18"?

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell dual 24" fixtures.... but they are T12.... I think it might be hard finding T12 5.0s though.

I picked up the 30 inch Zoo Med Combination Hood from LLL about a month ago. Working great so far. Holds the UVB tube, basking bulb (up to 75 watts) and a 6500K CFL for plants. My enclosure is 30 inches long and 4 feet high so I was able to set up a 40W bulb on one side and 75W on the other to provide some variety in temps across the top.

Costs a bit more than something from Lowes but I like that I can keep all my lights (UVB, heat and plant) all in one fixture.

Thank for the input I ordered two 30 inch ones (zoo Med) from LLLreptile they seem to be the cheapest on a bunch of stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom