OK, i seriously need help

Cavin

i want to free range my adult jackson in my room. i have 2 elecrical sockets, a futon bed, a big desk with a computer, and 2 dressors. i have a medium ficus and i seriously need to know how to do everything id do with my chameleon in his cage with him out. he wont eat normally from a cup an to water id use a dripper. If u can give pictures of a free range habitat itd be nice with all informatin id need.

You will need a lot of trees to do a proper free-range. Why dont you just keep them in their proper enclosure? Did you ever add the proper "furniture" and coverage to your cages? Did you buy the new proper lighting? Did you adjust the temperature? Free range takes a lot of time and you would need proper drainage as well for when you mist, if you mist the proper amount you will need drainage, no way getting around it.

Better to get your husbandry problems fixed first. Before trying to do free range which brings on more complicated issues for a newbie. You need to fix the cage and quit changeing things constantly. This is just going to stress him further.

This won't work well if your room is dry (less than 60% humidity) or gets too warm in summer (over 80F without a serious cool down at night). You'll need a seriously large bushy plant for its main territory too.

Better to get your husbandry problems fixed first. Before trying to do free range which brings on more complicated issues for a newbie. You need to fix the cage and quit changeing things constantly. This is just going to stress him further.

which problems? i have a heat lamp, proper misting technique and timing, i feed 3-5 feeders per cham. every other day depending on size of feeders, i make sure my siblings stay away ( bellieve me that was the biggest problem! )
, any thing else i should be doing? if so let me know!

My opinion is that a Jackson's chameleon is not a good candidate for a free range environment.
I had a female escape and disappear once.
One of the cats had sat on her enclosure and the screen fell through. When I got home she was gone.
Found her way inside a dresser behind the drawer on an electrical cord.
Anyway, they are going to roam and can be difficult to find, and can get into some trouble;)

-Brad

free range

im all for free range but, once again, not to be rude, but, brad and some of the other posters are right, before you worry about free ranging you should learn some husbandry and get a handle on your cage care. free ranging will only make his husbandry issues more complicated. a proper free range enviroment requires more knowledge, forethought, and experience. thats why most chams are kept in cages, not just to keep them confined, but because it is the easiest place to monitor and care for them. not that eventual free ranging isnt an option, but for now the best thing for him would be to learn some husbandry, get his cage properly setup, and leave him in it, until he is acclimated and you have more experience in his care, this may be an issue of terminology, but what kind of heat lamp are you using?, he doesnt need a heat lamp, he needs a uva basking lamp of about 25w , did you ever get him setup with a genuine lineal reptisun 5.0? jmo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom