Oh no, not another noob...=)

Slackster

Hiya all...

Like you propably already figured, i am yet another noob here.

Short story first.
Me and the wife just moved to a bigger place and found ourselves with a corner of the living room unused so we began to talk about what to do with it.
After a bit of talking we agreed to put a terrarium there. Next thing was to determin what to put in the terrarium, since it's gonna be quite big ( 2.3ft deep about 6 ft wide and about 7 ft high ) theres gonna be room for more than one animal. Pretty soon we decieded that all of them should at least have legs. First we thought a waterdragon and maybe a Iguana, and "maybe a spider or two", my wife added. But now i had to put my foot down, you see, in my eyes spiders are the direct spawn of satan and does NOT belong in my home :eek: . Then we saw it.... An absolutely beatyful Panther chameleon. So there it is, the first inhabitant is gonna be a Panther chameleon.

Now, I have read qiute a bit around this forum and it's awesome but i have to ask a few things.

I read somewhere that you can't put two chameleons in the same terrarium, they will kill each other. Is that right? Or is it possible if it's big enough??
If not, is it possible to have another kind of reptile in there with the Chameleon? We dont want them to hate each other, after all they're gonna be neighbours :D.

You will not be able to put two chameleons in the same enclosure. Actually, you will not be able to put two of almost any kind of lizard, be it same species or no, in that size enclosure. You could possibly put two female Bearded dragons, or a small herd of crested geckos, but males of most species together is a no no. I am sure there are others, but chameleons are solitary animals, males will fight and kill each other, and if this is your first chameleon, you should not even be cohabbing females, as you do not have the experience to know what to look for as far as stress.

Hi there!!! Welcome to the forum!! You've definitely come to the right place to have all your questions answered :) I'm definitely not an expert on chams but it isn't advisable to have two chams or other animals in an enclosure together. It can stress your chams and lead to health problems. Chams are solitary species. There are tons of threads on here that you can search for more info on the subject :)

i am a newbie too, working on getting my 1st two Panthers, but my opinion counts too(i think), it sounds like you havnt bought the terrarium yet, so my suggestion if it doesnt have too many holes in it is to get 2 smaller 1's, fill them with Panthers, & have a solid barrier between them so they can't see each other! Hopefully the experts don't meed to poke a bunch of holes in that theory:eek:

Thx for the quick answers.

So, am i aiming to high sizewise for 1 cham??

Bigger is always better for adult Veileds and Panthers, which are good starter chameleons. Babies need something appropriate size wise so they can find food. I would suggest starting out with a young male Veiled, 4-6 months old. You can get an 18X18X36 cage to start out with, and them move him into the larger cage when he is old enough.

i am a newbie too, working on getting my 1st two Panthers, but my opinion counts too(i think), it sounds like you havnt bought the terrarium yet, so my suggestion if it doesnt have too many holes in it is to get 2 smaller 1's, fill them with Panthers, & have a solid barrier between them so they can't see each other! Hopefully the experts don't meed to poke a bunch of holes in that theory:eek:

I'm no expert, but I'm going to poke holes ;)
Get the biggest enclosure you can, appropriate for the species. No point in having 2 not-quite-big-enough enclosures just so you can have two chams. As a beginner, one chameleon is enough. Lots to learn and observe and possibly change. Once you gain experience then it's time to look at getting more chams, new enclosures, etc. if that's where you're interest lies. JMHO

Taller is better than wider...you'd be better off with a cage that was 4 feet tall and 2x2 feet wide. They like to go up and down, not side to side. While I agree that one chameleon is enough, if you just have to do two, they need separate cages and need a divider so they don't see each other. They are solitary animals. You should probably spend some time poking around the enclosure and health forums to get an idea what you are getting into.

I don't need to have 2. I just thought that my cage was gonna be big... (fail :) ) .

Anyway, I'm gonna try to go for the Veiled youngster in a smaller enclosure that was suggested. For starters anyway :D
There is just a small detail, here in Sweden theres not a lot of chams for sale (from what i've seen so far anyway). Are there any other chams that can be recomended for a beginner besides from the Veiled?

Your right in the Heart of Europe ( almost ). why not try looking around, i know theres dealers in Belgium. google search. Im living in Germany and found a few breeders over here that deal with pure lines, kinda like pedigree puppies for noobs! lol. I would get a panther cham, theyre not as difficult to look after as many say, although i suppose it depends on how much homework you do and how quick you learn. The forums here are amazing. So much help is just at your fingertips and everyone likes to help here.

Hehe... heart of Europe...well we'd like to think so here anyway :D .

I'll check around outside our borders.

And I agree about the awesomeness of this place, I've learn heeps in just a few days here...:)

Back
Top Bottom