OH no! Foam

Chachi

Established Member
I just got home from work. I looked in Zero's cage. No Zero. (Female, panther, 10months old, got here with frozen back legs, never sick in her life)Then there, in the plant, at the bottom, she was. Hiding. I reached in, knowing something was wrong. I pulled her out foam covering her lips. Straight up panic. I ran to the cabinet for q tips, (thinking she had eaten 5 crickets yesterday, nothing else) searching in my mind for some reason for this. I held her while she threw her heard around. Tossing it up and down...more foam. She laid on her side, holding my finger. I thought she was dying. I put her nose and mouth into my mouth and blew breath into her. Idk, i did other stuff in a panic. Then, I stood her up and she opened her mouth real big and i could see a huge glob of white mass of gommy goo. My daughter said, get it mom, so i stuck the qtip down there and pulled out something i have never seen in anything. Saliva, so thick that it was a solid mass the size of a marble. I got it out and she took a huge breath. Her chest expanded and her eyes were open wide. There was this tiny black spider in the gommy stuff. I think it was killing her. I would love to hear what anyone else thinks or believes or if anyone has had an experience similar

Omg that's terrible. Do you have any pictures? Anaphylactic shock would have swelling in the airway and is considered a medical emergency. Treatment requires use of epinephrine

Sounds more like a choking episode because once you removed the blockage she was able to breathe. She's okay now, correct?
Yes. I let her sit on my shoulder and play w my hair for an hour. I can hear her inhale sometimes
Do you think it was from the spider. Im ready go call an exterminator, I gyess, but that cant be good for all 5 of them, u no?

I would keep checking her mouth For more "foam", most spiders are ok for chameleons to eat. The red velvet abdomin spiders aren't though. Point being the spider may not have had anything to do with her breathing problems- she could have an upper respiratory infection, if you still hear raspy breathing after removing the spider.

I would keep checking her mouth For more "foam", most spiders are ok for chameleons to eat. The red velvet abdomin spiders aren't though. Point being the spider may not have had anything to do with her breathing problems- she could have an upper respiratory infection, if you still hear raspy breathing after removing the spider.
Your know, I read that they can even eat venomous spiders, so, yes, it did occur to me that she had a uri but, Bob, this was acute acute. She was absolutely fine 1 hr before. No stringy zuf in her mouth, no gaping, no symptoms, whatsoever. But, i did keep a sharp eye on her and peered inside her mouth several times over the next few days. Nothing. Eating well. Nice looking urate/fecal material

Back
Top Bottom