Odd beardie. Need some advice.

DeFishy

Well, I recently got a little baby bearded dragon and he's a sweety. But over the last 4 days he developed a weird "habit". Whenever he walks or goes after food his head goes from side to side, like a bobble head (those things are creepy). It isn't nodding, I'm certain of that, it's like he has lost control of his head and neck. Its soo weird. So far, on the advice of several reputable experienced reptile owners I've: Changed his diet, he now gets no vegtables and i'm not adding anymore calcium powder, Given him several baths (warm water), And cleaned his tank. The next step since he isn't getting worse or better, is to remove all of the substrate (a coco fiber sand that was reccomended by Big Al's as it is digestable) and replace it with paper towel. He's in a 10gal temporarily but isn't more then 4".
He also thinks he is a chameleon and spends most of his time on his branch under his uvb lamp. Eepers. I know his tank is warm enough, I make sure of it. He's just odd. Any thoughts?

Usually any sort of uncontrollable shake in dragons can be chalked up to a lack of calcium… If anything I would up his intake of it a bit and perhaps the D3 too. Do you have a 5 or 10 bulb above him?

What are you feeding? Is he on soley pellets? To take him off of veggies and calcium I assume he has been totally converted to a pelleted diet....? What are his temps? Chad is right. Any uncontrolled movement is normally calcium problems and with you mentioning he is not being given any anymore make me wonder if possibly that is what it is.

Since you are also in cold weather consider getting carpet, regular home carpet just not much if any pile. It helps keep them warm. Also are you SURE you want to stop the calicum and veggies? I can't think of anything that would help. I have raised dragons for years and if I have a problem I usually up the calicum. Can you post a pic so we can see how he looks? Dragons are a lot hardier than chams so hang in there.

Licky was having trouble with balance once, and it could be shedding. Do you soak him in the warm water? Use a toothbrush to help loosen the skin. He also could be dehydrated. I bought an electrolyte from Petsmart that has D3. It seemed to help also. If he's eating veggies, let him eat them and make sure he's chewing them well. If not chewing too well chop up the veggies or go to baby food. Licky LOVES carrots. Try getting an organic baby food and using a spoon or butter knife for him to eat it off of. OR, you could dab a bit on something in his cage. Licky was in a 10g for awhile. Definitely go to carpet. You can get reptile carpet that's a tight weave at Petsmart and sometimes Walmart. The small roll doesn't have to be cut to fit the 10g. Make sure he's getting crickets too. I laid off the dusting because it caused some issues with him. He could have been getting too much, not sure. Anyway, make sure they are small, pinhead or a bit larger. The crickets shouldn't be any wider than his mouth. Good luck and let us know how everything is going!

Well, I recently got a little baby bearded dragon and he's a sweety. But over the last 4 days he developed a weird "habit". Whenever he walks or goes after food his head goes from side to side, like a bobble head (those things are creepy). It isn't nodding, I'm certain of that, it's like he has lost control of his head and neck. Its soo weird. So far, on the advice of several reputable experienced reptile owners I've: Changed his diet, he now gets no vegtables and i'm not adding anymore calcium powder, Given him several baths (warm water), And cleaned his tank. The next step since he isn't getting worse or better, is to remove all of the substrate (a coco fiber sand that was reccomended by Big Al's as it is digestable) and replace it with paper towel. He's in a 10gal temporarily but isn't more then 4".
He also thinks he is a chameleon and spends most of his time on his branch under his uvb lamp. Eepers. I know his tank is warm enough, I make sure of it. He's just odd. Any thoughts?

I breed beardies and your one is in-bred for sure. Believe me its a sign of in-breeding. Sorry there is nothing you can do, besides for shit the guy out that sold it to you

Ok, to answer some questions. He is not fed pellets, I feed him insects, meal worms (he has stopped eating crickets), I make sure to buy them small. I will continue the vitamen powder, but I don't want to give him any vegtables right now. I've been told that carrots are poisonous to beardies. I did feed him them. His lighting is at least 10. I'm not certain 100%, it was reccomended to me by Big Al's.

Ok, inbred, not good at all. I was thinking it might be it, but as none of his siblings have developed this then I was uncertain. but then again, he is a very odd colour, especially when compared against his siblings. He is a whitish yellow, with red lines on his ridge lines. All of his siblings are dark brown with red lines.

If this is the case, then is there anything you would reccomend? Increase of calcium like reccomended? He's healthy otherwise, though you are right where he has trouble shedding, and aligning himself to eat, but he does eat. And seems healthy otherwise.

He should be fed greens with calcium and properly gut loaded crickets. I am not sure why a breeder would tell you not to give calcium and greens....:confused: The only time I have ever heard of a breeder not feeding greens or calcium is when they are soley on repcal pellets..... Without the proper amount of calcium you will end up with a bearded with mbd.....

I didn't get him from a breeder, I wish I had. I got him from the store I work at. I was reccomended not to feed him that stuff from Big Al's. They were worried I might have poisoned him with to much greens.
Now he has had a seizure as well, when I picked him up he seized and convulsed for a couple of seconds. Afterwards he seemed jerkier then usual. I'm really worried now. I am dreading the worse, but if anyone has ANY advice please let me know. I would hate to do that to him, he's my baby, but I don't want him to suffer. Please help.

Last edited:
tremors are classic for lack of calcium. You will probably want to go to the vet and get some liquid calcium to treat him with for a week. It could be something else but I am suspicous it is a calcium thing since you are not feeding any. If you do research on beardeds, they should have greens, calcium crickets and worms. A growing beardie needs the nutrients and calcium.....

You misunderstand, I fed him calcium up until the last 4 days. He had the options of fresh greens, crickets and mealworms dusted with RepCal with a VD3 suppliment, at LEAST once a week (the dusting, not the greens). He stopped touching the crickets and the greens at a certain point and only ate mealworms with help. I was under the impression, based on other opinions that I might have been giving him to many vitamins. I use this method with my cham and she is in perfect health. (though she doesn't get greens, of course).

beardeddragon.org is a great site specifically meant for beardies. You should contact someone on there that is well experienced for advice. Sorry I can't be of more help; I am on my first beardie.

Keep the beardie on calcium as you normally would, since in-breeding is genetic you cant help the lizard at all but glad to here the little is eating on his own and healthy

If you hold a cricket with tweezers will he eat it? Sometimes I do that for Licky and it makes him want it more. When he was having trouble he would go after his food and miss. He wasn't bobbing, but it was quicker than he was. The bathes helped that. Definitely try offering him food with tweezers so that he can have that variety and the choice that he can "catch."

Back
Top Bottom