Number of lights?

brighteyez

How many lights do I need for my chams enclosure?
He's a baby Jackson, in a 28"x16.5"x30" screen reptarium. At the moment I have one 18" reptisun 5.0 UVB linear, another 18" reti glo 5.0 UVB linear, a 75watt exo terra sun glo for his basking light, and a 75watt exo terra heat glo red bulb just to help with the temp. It just seems light not enough light is making it through the thick black screen, and often I find my cham hanging upside down under one of the UVBs. This is my first enclosure, so I'm still trying to work everything out! Thanks for the help~!!!!

How many lights do I need for my chams enclosure?
He's a baby Jackson, in a 28"x16.5"x30" screen reptarium. At the moment I have one 18" reptisun 5.0 UVB linear, another 18" reti glo 5.0 UVB linear, a 75watt exo terra sun glo for his basking light, and a 75watt exo terra heat glo red bulb just to help with the temp. It just seems light not enough light is making it through the thick black screen, and often I find my cham hanging upside down under one of the UVBs. This is my first enclosure, so I'm still trying to work everything out! Thanks for the help~!!!!

If you are using a mesh cage it will be a little darker. I have mesh on my sides but real screen on the top, works great.

Anyway, because you are using a mesh cage i would use the exact lights you are. The basking is a little hefty for a little jackson though. These guys will over heat real easy. You need to make sure his basking stays no warmer that 85 degrees. Maybe suspend the basking light. If he is a younger guy maybe even a little cooler. The rest of his/her cage should stay around 75 degrees. These guys come from higher and cooler alititudes. Therefore, they don't need the scorching heat. It is important to note they are aved baskers. Just because he/she spends a lot of time under the light don't mean it isn't warm enough. You will also need to keep in mind if he is hanging upside down under the UVB, you may need to suspend the light. Your cham should not be able to get any closer than 6 inches from the light. Or it could suffer from thermal burns.

Just wanted to add, it is completely normal for a young jacks to crawl upside down like that. I raised 18 of the little buggers once and some of them spent more time on the top screen that on the branches.

Hope this helps ya

Back
Top Bottom