Not sure if my baby veiled chameleon is boy or girl

I have had my baby for 5 days and I am wondering if I have a male or female! And also, The place I got it from said it was eaten about two crickets every other day and I've only seen to eat two crickets since I had it. I am so nervous I'm doing something wrong

Attachments

• IMG_20231002_152910_138.jpg
    IMG_20231002_152910_138.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20231002_140130_156.jpg
    IMG_20231002_140130_156.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 34
I have had my baby for 5 days and I am wondering if I have a male or female! And also, The place I got it from said it was eaten about two crickets every other day and I've only seen to eat two crickets since I had it. I am so nervous I'm doing something wrong
IMG_20230930_145646_688.jpg
IMG_20230930_145651_815.jpg
IMG_20230930_145646_688.jpg
IMG_20230930_145651_815.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_145658_176.jpg
    IMG_20230930_145658_176.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 21
Hi there. Ok so from those angles it looks like a little female. But to know for sure I need a side view and as close as you can get like these... A male veiled will have a tarsal spur like in the pictures and a female will not.

For the enclosure and set up this is going to be a learning curve so I want to start you out by going here and reading everything in this husbandry program. It will allow us to assist you better because you will have a base of knowledge. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You will have quite a few changes that need to be made quickly such as UVB lighting needs to be switched to a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. The compact screw in bulb your using will not work for a chameleon as it does not provide the levels of UVB the cham needs.

Also feeding a baby this young would be taking down a minimum of 2 dozen small feeders a day. So your wanting crickets that are no larger than 1/4 of an inch.

Once you read through the husbandry program let me know and I will post a husbandry review form for you. This way we can review every aspect including supplements. :)

Attachments

• tarsal Spur2.jpg
    tarsal Spur2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Tarsal spur1.jpg
    Tarsal spur1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hi there. Ok so from those angles it looks like a little female. But to know for sure I need a side view and as close as you can get like these... A male will have a tarsal spur like in the pictures and a female will not.

For the enclosure and set up this is going to be a learning curve so I want to start you out by going here and reading everything in this husbandry program. It will allow us to assist you better because you will have a base of knowledge. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You will have quite a few changes that need to be made quickly such as UVB lighting needs to be switched to a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. The compact screw in bulb your using will not work for a chameleon as it does not provide the levels of UVB the cham needs.

Also feeding a baby this young would be taking down a minimum of 2 dozen small feeders a day. So your wanting crickets that are no larger than 1/4 of an inch.

Once you read through the husbandry program let me know and I will post a husbandry review form for you. This way we can review every aspect including supplements. :)
Okay, thank you so much for your time and information! I will get to reading. Oh and the place I got her from said she was taking medium crickets now. I'll post another pic on my hand so you can see the size better..

Okay, thank you so much for your time and information! I will get to reading. Oh and the place I got her from said she was taking medium crickets now. I'll post another pic on my hand so you can see the size better..

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_174016_771.jpg
    IMG_20230929_174016_771.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230927_165851_547.jpg
    IMG_20230927_165851_547.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 27
Hi there. Ok so from those angles it looks like a little female. But to know for sure I need a side view and as close as you can get like these... A male will have a tarsal spur like in the pictures and a female will not.

Attachments

• IMG_20231002_160407_229.jpg
    IMG_20231002_160407_229.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 28
She is quite small so I would stay with the small 1/4 inch size. These are easier for them to take down and they will not back off of eating due to the size of the feeder.

And now that I am looking at her whole body... That is not a veiled chameleon. This is what a 2 month old veiled chameleon will look like. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-babies-are-two-months-old.190698/
See the casque on its head... yours does not have one so it is a different species.

She is quite small so I would stay with the small 1/4 inch size. These are easier for them to take down and they will not back off of eating due to the size of the feeder.

And now that I am looking at her whole body... That is not a veiled chameleon. This is what a 2 month old veiled chameleon will look like. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-babies-are-two-months-old.190698/
See the casque on its head... yours does not have one so it is a different species.
Hummm, okay. I have a phone call to make right quick!! 😭

Hummm, okay. I have a phone call to make right quick!! 😭
They very much got the species wrong on this one. And I am not well versed in all the other species... Looks a lot like a common chameleon or a flap neck. But that is just me guessing. Telling gender on this one would be different as well.

Thank you Michael. Would you happen to know any sources of correct husbandry info for this one? Such as supplementation and UVB/temps?
I have not personally kept them, but I have worked with and talked extensively with several individuals who have. They can be kept like panther chameleons, but go towards the lower range of acceptable temperatures and offer water a bit more frequently. This appears to be a female, but the sexes are not very distinct from one another for senegalensis. There might be more growing to do as well, hard to tell from the picture. Treat as a female for now and post in a month or two to see if a more prominent hemipenal bulge has appeared (although unlikely).

Basic chameleon husbandry stuff will still apply, like using a linear UVB bulb instead of the current dome coil bulb. This is a wild caught animal as well so may need a vet checkup/fecal float for parasites if things start to go downhill.

I have not personally kept them, but I have worked with and talked extensively with several individuals who have. They can be kept like panther chameleons, but go towards the lower range of acceptable temperatures and offer water a bit more frequently. This appears to be a female, but the sexes are not very distinct from one another for senegalensis. There might be more growing to do as well, hard to tell from the picture. Treat as a female for now and post in a month or two to see if a more prominent hemipenal bulge has appeared (although unlikely).

Basic chameleon husbandry stuff will still apply, like using a linear UVB bulb instead of the current dome coil bulb. This is a wild caught animal as well so may need a vet checkup/fecal float for parasites if things start to go downhill.
Thank you for the info

Thank you for the info. She was purchased at a pet store and said that they received from a breeder.

Thank you for the info

Thank you for the info. She was purchased at a pet store and said that they received from a breeder.
No problem :) hope it helps!
They are 100% lying if they claim this is a captive bred animal. There have been no documented captive breedings of this species in many years. Even if there were, the offspring would not likely be found at a pet store.

No problem :) hope it helps!
They are 100% lying if they claim this is a captive bred animal. There have been no documented captive breedings of this species in many years. Even if there were, the offspring would not likely be found at a pet store.
Oh wow. Well I know they are liars because they sold it to me letting me believe it was a veiled chameleon.

This baby is A stinking dorable!!!😍 what a beautiful little thing you were lucky to get! Please keep sharing pics and good luck-
Welcome to the forum, hope you both stick around a while! 😊

Back
Top Bottom