Not Fertilized

ruffcuts

My female panther has never been bred...I know she is supposed to lay eggs regardless, I have made sure that her habitat is suitable to do so, but as far as I can tell she never has..she is over a year and a half..should I be concerned? Or how can I tell if she has laid eggs?

It's possible she might never lay. It's thought that with very controlled feeding and somewhat lower than "normal" temps, females might not make eggs at all or make them very infrequently and not make many when they do.

If she were going to lay you would probably see her get big, probably be able to make out "egg shapes" in her belly and start prowling the bottom of the cage.

If you keep a laying bin in there you can sift through it to see if you find eggs. If there is a plant in the cage with exposed dirt, you should check that too.

Hum thanks, I just put about twenty to fifty cricket is her cage a day so she can eat at her leisure...is that OK?

Are they really small crickets? If so, maybe it's okay, but if they're medium size or above, it seems like too much food. I would give her a couple of hours to eat and then pull as many as I could back out.

I would agree with Eliza. If they are in there for a long time they loose there gutloading. An adult cham should be eating large crickets and if they ate left they could bite your cham.:)

At over a year and a half, 20-50 large (3/4"-1") crickets is WAY too much. Most recommend only 4-7 large crickets (or the equivalent in other feeders) every other day to try and prevent egg laying/cycling. If you normally feed that many large crickets every day, I am really surprised that she hasnt had any eggs yet. If they are smaller, it still sounds like a lot unless they are tiny 1/8" crickets.

oh wow

She does eat them throughout the day the crickets are 1/2" maybe I exaggerated about twenty...she sheds once a month and seems to be quite healthy...except for the laying eggs???

She sheds once a month? That's a lot for an adult. Are you sure on her age? Maybe a picture of her near something of recognizable size would be helpful.

I got her from a pet store I kept going in there everyday when they got her..she was little and had one stick to perch on, no UVB in a glass box with a scorching hot basking bulb...i couldn't stand it anymore so I bought her $350 bucks later not including enclosure etc...I realized she may have MBD but I'm no vet..she has two kinks in her tail the owner of the pet shop said someone closed the door on her???? I know SOO SAD...anyhow I've had her since for about 1 year and 1/2..she seems healthy except for the laying eggs?
I am having a heck of a time trying to get a picture uploaded:mad:

Back
Top Bottom