Not eating

Kolinbarnes

I know it's normal to not eat or eat less after shedding for a little while but my guy has not been eating for about 4-5 days now. Maybe a cricket here or there a day but not his normal amount which was usually 8-12 a day. Should I be concerned about the length of him not eating and get him checked out?

I know it's normal to not eat or eat less after shedding for a little while but my guy has not been eating for about 4-5 days now. Maybe a cricket here or there a day but not his normal amount which was usually 8-12 a day. Should I be concerned about the length of him not eating and get him checked out?
Please fill out this and paste in your answers into the categories provided:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Note that photos are very helpful too

Yes, I would fill out the form please. If he is as young as he looks in your profile pic he should be eating really well regardless of shedding. They are little eating machines until they hit about 6-7 months old.

Yes, I would fill out the form please. If he is as young as he looks in your profile pic he should be eating really well regardless of shedding. They are little eating machines until they hit about 6-7 months old.
My male cham could eat endlessly if I let him :eek:

Veiled male about 5 months old, little to almost no handling. His crickets are gut loaded with flukers cricket feed. Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday he is fed around 11-12 due to my work schedule. Every other day he's fed around 2-3. I have a drip system set up for him which he drinks right from the dripper. Reptifogger to help with the humidity on a timer throughout the day. Fecal has been normal. He lives in a 18x18x36 glass terrarium with a screen top and air flow vents at the bottom. Average temp of cage is 75° with basking spots up to 85°-90° at the highest. Temp drops to around 60°-65° at night. Humidity stays between 40-70. Up to 70 when fogger is on. One live dracaena plant in the cage. His cage is 3 feet off the ground with about 2 feet from the ceiling. I live in metro Detroit Michigan.

He finshed shedding last Monday and ever since he has not been eating.
IMG_20190317_204701.jpg
IMG_20190317_204640.jpg

So I do see multiple issues with the info you provided. If you can please expand on the form please. Info on lighting used how many feeders are fed etc. How long do you have lights on and off completely? what supplements are you using?

A fogger should not be used when a heat lamp is on because they can develop respiratory infections. You need a misting system. The eyes are showing signs of dehydration. Normally screen enclosures are recommended but a glass exo terra is acceptable if it is done properly. So you are always feeding after noon each day? This may cause issues when it comes to having enough time to bask and digest the feeders. You need a different gutload for the crickets the one you are using is not providing any nutrients that will pass on to your cham. Basking should not be over 85. I will include additional resource images at the bottom as well as a link here for the Veiled care sheet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Also I am not seeing tarsal spurs which indicates gender in Veileds. It may be the angle of the pictures but you may very well have a female.
This is what tarsal spurs look like on the hind feet. If you have a female they will lay eggs without being mated so you have to provide them with a lay bin or they will become eggbound and die. I have a link I can give you to provide more info if it is in fact a female.
tarsal Spur2.jpg Tarsal spur1.jpg

Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

@Brodybreaux25 am I seeing a female here? They were told male... But I do not see tarsal spurs and the coloring seems far more female especially in the last image they gave.

So I do see multiple issues with the info you provided. If you can please expand on the form please. Info on lighting used how many feeders are fed etc. How long do you have lights on and off completely? what supplements are you using?

A fogger should not be used when a heat lamp is on because they can develop respiratory infections. You need a misting system. The eyes are showing signs of dehydration. Normally screen enclosures are recommended but a glass exo terra is acceptable if it is done properly. So you are always feeding after noon each day? This may cause issues when it comes to having enough time to bask and digest the feeders. You need a different gutload for the crickets the one you are using is not providing any nutrients that will pass on to your cham. Basking should not be over 85. I will include additional resource images at the bottom as well as a link here for the Veiled care sheet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Also I am not seeing tarsal spurs which indicates gender in Veileds. It may be the angle of the pictures but you may very well have a female.
This is what tarsal spurs look like on the hind feet. If you have a female they will lay eggs without being mated so you have to provide them with a lay bin or they will become eggbound and die. I have a link I can give you to provide more info if it is in fact a female.
View attachment 226040View attachment 226041

View attachment 226042View attachment 226043View attachment 226044View attachment 226045View attachment 226046
I use 75w basking light and 5.0 uvb bulb. Lights are on from 9-9. I use flukers cricket quenecher and repashy super food a couple times a month. Also it could be a female. It has very small tarsal spurs if any but no one on this forum has really helped with that. Mixed answers of male or female. I tried misting for a while but there was too much water building up at the bottom to continue misting constantly. Thanks for the info

I use 75w basking light and 5.0 uvb bulb. Lights are on from 9-9. I use flukers cricket quenecher and repashy super food a couple times a month. Also it could be a female. It has very small tarsal spurs if any but no one on this forum has really helped with that. Mixed answers of male or female. I tried misting for a while but there was too much water building up at the bottom to continue misting constantly. Thanks for the info
I am going with it being a female and she is starting to show receptive colors in that last pic so you will want to get a lay bin set up. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
You may want to switch her to a 24x24x48 screen cage so you have room for a lay bin and can start misting her.

I am going with it being a female and she is starting to show receptive colors in that last pic so you will want to get a lay bin set up. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
You may want to switch her to a 24x24x48 screen cage so you have room for a lay bin and can start misting her.
Okay I'll start doing research on laying bins. Also a screen cage is not really suitable for my house and region in general. Very cold Winters and low humidity throughout the winter. After all that info though I still don't have a real answer on why she might not be eating. I just find it weird especially after shedding. She was eating 8-12 crickets a day and now after shedding it's basically nothing

Okay I'll start doing research on laying bins. Also a screen cage is not really suitable for my house and region in general. Very cold Winters and low humidity throughout the winter. After all that info though I still don't have a real answer on why she might not be eating. I just find it weird especially after shedding. She was eating 8-12 crickets a day and now after shedding it's basically nothing
My main concern honestly with the not eating is that they tend to do that when they are getting ready to lay. Females are not my area of expertise though which is why I tagged @Brodybreaux25 . He is very knowledgeable and will be able to provide better info then I. Good luck with your girl :)

She’s not carrying eggs. It’s not uncommon for them to go on hunger strikes, as long as all other behavior is fine I wouldn’t worry until day 7.

Well that makes me feel a little bit better. All other behavior seems fine to me. Climbing and moving around the cage like normal to different basking spots

Just noticed she’s 5mo, no she should be eating.

No that’s what your gutloading with(which needs to change, recommend cricket crack). I’m asking what calcium and multivitamins are you dusting with and how often?

Back
Top Bottom