nosy be info & experiences

junglefries

Avid Member
I'm having a horrid time trying to find nosy be info. Everything lops them into the basic category of panther. Just from the body shape, growth rate & behavior, I can tell they are a different cham all together. i would appreciate any info or past experiences, possible future issues that may arise, etc... please keep in mind i have glaucoma (the real kind, not get a weed card kind) so reading on a computer is very hard for me. if you could just spell it out here rather than a bunch of links would be GREATLY appreciated. it's ok to be concise if you must. Any nosy be specific books would also be great. i can read paper, just not a monitor or phone so well.

I have a nosy be and keep him the exact same way that I keep my other species of panthers. I really haven't noticed any difference in the boys except maybe my nosy be is a little smaller than my ambilobes.

I have a nosy be and keep him the exact same way that I keep my other species of panthers. I really haven't noticed any difference in the boys except maybe my nosy be is a little smaller than my ambilobes.

I agree with Jann, a panther is a panther, is a panther. You don't keep a panther any different between locales. Follow the care sheet for panther chams and you'll do fine.

educate

a panther isn't just a panther. Nosy Be females will cycle through the year continuously, while sometimes taking a 1-3 month break. Ambilobes have a distinct breeding season, while they can breed year round in captivity though. Male and females both are a little more slender than other panthers. They also grow a slower pace than other panthers. Not to sound like a jerk, but I once read something on a bathroom wall that I kinda modeled my life after "It is best to keep your mouth shut and appear dumb, than to open it and remove all doubt". If you don't know or aren't sure, then don't advise. For newbies on this site, check your facts against what someone tells you, yes, that includes me. Pick up a book once in a while, before they go extinct. Anyone can post something online. Doesn't mean it is true.

why did you ask if you knew so much?

Just follow the signs that your chameleon gives you and otherwise, give it the same care as a panther would have. A panther IS a panther.

As for the different breeding/laying seasons, it's just because they live in different parts of madagascar. They're all still panthers. Just follow the signs the chameleon gives you and you would know when it needs to lay.

Nosy bes are kept exactly the same as any other panther.

why did you ask if you knew so much?

Just follow the signs that your chameleon gives you and otherwise, give it the same care as a panther would have. A panther IS a panther.

As for the different breeding/laying seasons, it's just because they live in different parts of madagascar. They're all still panthers. Just follow the signs the chameleon gives you and you would know when it needs to lay.

Nosy bes are kept exactly the same as any other panther.

I am with you on this one. Panther care is a broad spectrum.... What may work for one keeper may not work for another. Same goes for individual chameleons. I have had some that like different tempatures and different supplement regiment than others. It's up to the keeper to find his or hers preference.

AFAIK, the books or articles you seek which differentiate Nosy Be's care and behavior from other panther locales does not exist. Maybe you should write them. There may be obscure studies out there that I am unaware of, but I believe the bulk of knowledge will come from keepers that have worked with several differing locales. Good luck.

I am very interested in how you came to the conclusion they were totally different animals. Around here we keep them in the same conditions as Ambilobes, Ambanjas, and the like. Since a bunch of us have scoured the available literature and have not found references to the differences you speak of I don't think we'll be able to help. You could contact one of the large scale breeders such as Kammerflage Kreations, The Panther Company, or Screameleons to ask for their opinion. But if they also have a single care sheet for all their panthers then you might settle down a bit on how you react to people answering your question.

I have heard of pink panthers being more sensitive, but no real specifics on what that means (too small of a group to judge from). Nosy Bes have bred and thrived in captivity for a couple decades. If there is a different way to keep them then we are all ears, but if you are concerned about a species going extinct you may want to work with a species that is more in danger.

Back
Top Bottom