nosy be illness

MrBolt

Chameleon Info:Your Chameleon*- panther, male 5 months

How long has it been in your care? 2 months

Handling*- How often do you handle your chameleon? Every day too clean his enclosure

Feeding*- What are you feeding your cham? Crickets and baby locust

What amount? 5 of each

What is the schedule? Every day

How are you gut-loading your feeders? Sweet potato

Supplements*- sticky tongue minerall was every day for first month then cut back to once a week with prorep calcidust every feed.

Watering - bottle sprayed 3 times daily

How often and how long to you mist? Minuite 3 times daily

Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes

Fecal Description*- never tested for parasites. Poops near enough every other day. Solid white with poo coloured main.

History*- had what i think was a eye infection a few weeks ago. A waxy lump was flushed out and im currently giving him antibiotics that the vet gave me to put in his eye. Fusidic acid 'fucithalmic'
Cage Info:Cage Type*- reptibreeze 60x40x40

Lighting - on at 7am off at 7pm t5 arcadia, 100w basking bulb on microclimate thermostat. Temperature*- 95f basking with 79f ambient. Messured on digital exo terra thermometer

Humidity*- maintained with mistings. 50% towards 70%. Hygrometer.

Plants*- All fake plants.

Placement*- corner of downstairs room. Blinds are closed but light left on this time of year. Top of enclosure is around 1.2m from floor.

Location*- south England

Problem - the vet said his eyes seemed fine, checked mouth also and said it was fine. But he seems to always be cleaning them. His left eye seems worse, he spends most of his time dark and stripey so im guessing hes stressed, but also with either one eye closed or both closed. Then he perks up and runs around hunting then goes back to his previous state. The uvb cm2 measurement is 045 at the top and 009 mid way and 000 at the bottom. Hes eating lots just seems very tired but im not sure if its his eyes causing him a issue or something else.

Enclosure

Attachments

• received_10152690913888649.jpg
    received_10152690913888649.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 197
  • received_10152690913718649.jpg
    received_10152690913718649.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 191
I noticed that for vitamins you use Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall. I once was also using this until I spoke with their reps at a show. They told me that this formula actually has no vitamins, only minerals. If this is the only source you are using for vitamins, it is possible that your little guy has a vitamin A deficiency which can cause eye problems. I would switch him to an actual herp multivitamin and notify your vet so that they can help you treat for vitamin deficiency. Also, try gutloading with a wider range of veggies than just the sweet potatoes. This will add nutrients and vitamins to your feeders that will be passed on to your chameleon.

*At least he's been getting calcium and other minerals so you don't need to worry about MBD.

Thank you for the replies. I forgot to add i have been giving him vit A once a week for the last week because like you said i thought it might be a vit a deficiency. I have been gut loading the feeders with the sticky tongue vit all but recently stopped as ran out. Today after i posted he managed to push a big fibre almost like a eyelash out of his eye. Hes been sitting with his eyes open more since so continuing with antibiotics. Still very stressed by the looks of it. Will get better photos shortly

Better picture of enclosure. Picture of him currently

Attachments

• 20141213_165038.jpg
    20141213_165038.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 20141213_165105.jpg
    20141213_165105.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 190
Im still continuing his eye antibiotics and i think its drying his eye out. Anyone else experienced this?

I noticed today his eyes look a little bit sunken. His left bad one more so. Still drinking and bright white poo. Still not cured his eye issue though. Not sure what else i can do?

What kind of Vitamin A? Very easy to overdose with it and usually not recommended to do so. I was giving Repahy A once every two months, but quit upon advice.

Vitamin A, to much is bad and so is none? Eyes closed!

I have a small male veiled and have been dusting crickets with reti- cal's: herptivite and calcium with D3. He did great the. First month and now he usually has one eye closed and now both, and has been aggressively been wiping his eyes on branches... Is this usually related to dusting food items improperly, meaning to much, or inconvenience in schedule? Or more likely to be house keeping, cage type, misting, cleaning etc? I'm just trying to figure out which way to go. How much are the eye drops or antibiotics?

Closing eyes and rubbing them on branches can be a Vit A deficiency, but vitamin A is extremely toxic to administer - too much can kill your chameleon.

I dust ONE feeder with Vit A powder, once a week and put this feeder in with the others when I feed them.

Still not much improvement. Id say something is definitely stuck in his eye, he rubs it a lot and only opens it to drink and eat or if hes running away from medicine. Is there any way i can clean his eye out if something is trapped further in his eye? Because saline doesnt seem to do much now but dry his eye out?

Your basking bulb is way too hot. Even an adult male should only have a 60 watt bulb. As for the vitamin a it should only be twice per month like with the vitamin d3. As for your gut loading use a variety of veggies and fruits. I would also use many other feeders instead of just crickets and locusts. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you for you replies. Since i posted that i reduced the heat and he spends more time dark and basking, didn't change much else. Hes quite small still, what feeders are small enough for him? He tends to eat quite late in the day and i worry most of the supplements would of come off the feeders.

Hi everyone,

Little man still doesn't seem to be getting any better.

We continued his antibiotics for longer, with permission from the vet. He seemed to perk up for a day or two after treatment was finished, but has now got as bad, if not worse than he was before.

His left eye is pretty much closed the whole time now and his right eye he only opens when we are at the cage or have him out.

We have been taking him for warms showers for the past week, the first day it seemed to make him a lot better with a lot more frequent misting, but again after that he has gone back to how he was previously :(

We are really really worried, and have tried as much as we think we physically can, any help from now would be so much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom