no poop?

crystal9534

we've had our veiled for a week and we haven't seen any poops. is this normal? is there any way to stimulate her bowels?

It could be a few things but what does your cage look like it could have got lost in a plant or something. If not you might want to be careful it could have some blockage or something and you might need to see a vet if it doesnt poop soon.

she's been eating, but haven't seen her drink. her basking area is about 80+. mom is checkin for poops in the plant. we planned on taking her to the vet anyway

Try putting her in the shower on a plant. Point the water at the wall so the spray hits the plant. Don't use hot/warm water. The spray should be lukewarm or slightly warmer than lukewarm. Warm to us is hot to them. Showers make my girl poop.

Also fill out the how to ask for help form please.

* Your Chameleon - veiled, female, about a year or so. had her for a week
* Handling - not much, only if we think she's falling
* Feeding - crickets and superworms. once a day. maybe 3 crickets, 1 worm a day, orange cubes sold in pet stores fed to crickets
* Supplements - nothing
* Watering - we mist enough to get all leaves wet. haven't seen her drink
* Fecal Description - haven't seen any poops
* History - egg impaction problems

Cage Info:

* Cage Type -screen about 3.5 ft high 18+ in wide
* Lighting - heat light and uvb i believe. uvb is 12 hours a day, heat is constant
* Temperature - temp is about 65-70 in the lower area. top is about 80
* Humidity - about 50%
* Plants - ficus
* Placement - next to a window, top is about 4.5+ feet off the ground
* Location - washington state

Current Problem - no poopies

You need supplements and you say heat is constant. Do you leave the light on all night? If so thats bad

we don't keep a warm house. its about 65 during the day and not sure about temp at night. she does have some repti-cal on the crickets but not sure if it washed off during misting or not

Okay, well adults only poop once a week or so. I'd give her another day orntwo before you spazz too much. I'd still try a shower though.

I would start feeding 5-7 crickets or equivalent of every other day. You can also feed 1-3 crickets every day, but not three and a worm every day. You need to start supplementing. Calcium without d3 at most feedings, calcium with d3 twice a month, and a multivitamin once a week.

Does she have a laying bin? A heat light should only be on for 12 hours a day and what brand is the UVB? Veileds can handle temps into the 50s at night.

Gutload with a dry gutload that can be bought or made and use greens like collards, mustard greens, dandelions, endive, and escarole. Fruits and veggies like squash, yams, sweet peppers, papaya, oranges, and berries.

Gutload with a dry gutload that can be bought or made and use greens like collards, mustard greens, dandelions, endive, and escarole. Fruits and veggies like squash, yams, sweet peppers, papaya, oranges, and berries.

is the greens and fruits and veggies for the crickets or for my cham? ok we'll turn all her lights off at night then. i believe the uvb light is zilla?

I think the zilla lights are really bad? You'll have to do a search, I can't remember. Either way, a reptisun 5.0 linear tube is recommended.

Both. If she will eat them, she can have them too. Does she have a laying bin?

I think the zilla lights are really bad? You'll have to do a search, I can't remember. Either way, a reptisun 5.0 linear tube is recommended.

Both. If she will eat them, she can have them too. Does she have a laying bin?

zilla lights are bad?:eek: am using it for my ambanja, should i change it?

no she doesn't have a laying bin. not sure how to set that up. we bought some jungle mix to put in it when we find a bin. still not sure on all the details of a laying bin

Again, I can't remember, do a search.

Substrate should be 10-12 inches deep. It should be big enough for her plus a few inches on all sides including above her. Most here use play sand, organic fertilizer free soil, or a mix of the two.

From the pictures in your other thread she is very gravid. Not getting the bin in the cage for her to dig in is risking eggbinding and you already indicated that she had egglaying issues. It needs to be in there NOW IMHO.

Since most insects used as feeders have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus its important to dust the insects before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to make up for it....especially when a chameleon is gravid.

I dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. I leave it to its exposure to UVB to produce the rest of the D3 needed. D3 from supplements will build up in the system.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Beta carotene won't build up in the system like prEformed vitamin A will...but there is controversy as to whether any/all chameleons can convert the beta carotene so some people give a little prEformed once in a while. Excess vitamin A may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD.

The crickets can be gutloaded/fed a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

There should be no light on the cage at night. If you need to provide heat, then a heat emitter would be better IMHO.

Placing the cage near a window in a cold climate can lead to fungal or respiratory infections.

You said that the chameleon isn't pooping...is she eating? Is she drinking well? Do you have a substrate in the cage?

You also said that you were told to cut down on the amount of food she was being fed...if she's gravid this is not the time to do that IMHO.

Question: am I wrong in thinking "needs to lay" is the bigger problem? To me, it seems that not pooping might well be a result of needing to lay.

she has a laying bin in there now. yes she's eating. haven't seen her drink though. she has an appointment with the vet on monday

Did you moisten the soil in her laying bin as well? Just making sure where you said you were unfamiliar with the laying bin idea. Also, i usually start a hole for them and they usually do use it. Saves on their little hands.

Back
Top Bottom