no basking light HELP!!

julies liam

Hi my basking light (heat lamp) was working the last time i misted my little mans viv but i just noticed it had blown. Will he survive with out heat till 9 an tomorrow its now 7:13 pm. I am worried he will get cold. He is 6 months old. HELPPP:(

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
Yes, he'll be totally fine.

(Edit) Are you also using a basking light at night? If so, you don't have to (and shouldn't) since chameleons need to sleep in total darkness and unless your home is getting very cold (~15-13C or lower) you don't need any supplemental heat at night, unless he's sick.

julies liam

Oh good...no hes lights get turnt of at 8 at night till 8 in the morning. I dont no what time the bulb blow so will he still be ok? Xx

Sticktongue

Avid Member
Those bulbs are actually not what you should be using. They cost 4 times as much. Pretty much all of us use normal house held incandescent bulbs. They are super cheap and provide exactly what you need. Heat! They are like 4 for a dollar.
They also provide more light in the cage

Last edited:

ChamyLove

Those bulbs are actually not what you should be using. They cost 4 times as much. Pretty much all of us use normal house held incandescent bulbs. They are super cheap and provide exactly what you need. Heat! They are like 4 for a dollar.

Is the recommended wattage the same for these as the pet store stuff?

Sticktongue

Avid Member
Theirs not really a recommended wattage for any bulb. You'll need a temperature gauge. Just play with a few different watts till yiu hit your desired temps

Solid Snake

Avid Member

Indeed, they also replicate the Sun much better than a red bulb.

The chameleon will be much happier with a white incandescent.

Is the recommended wattage the same for these as the pet store stuff?

That can vary from brand to brand a bit.

The wattage isnt whats most important though. Whatever will bring the basking area up to an appropriate temperature will work. If its a bit too hot, you can go down in wattage, or move the bulb further away from the enclosure.

Generally, 45w-75w is what is going to do this for you. Depending on species, and likely time of year.

If on a really hot day your house doesnt get as cool as it would say in the winter, you may want to switch to a lower wattage to avoid overheating the enclosure. For this reason it is advisable to keep a few spares on hand. (you also wont ever be without if one breaks or goes out on you, as has happened here.)

ChamyLove

That can vary from brand to brand a bit.

The wattage isnt whats most important though. Whatever will bring the basking area up to an appropriate temperature will work. If its a bit too hot, you can go down in wattage, or move the bulb further away from the enclosure.

Thanks! I have a range of bulbs for basking, depending on what the cage temp is. But I was just curious if a 60w in the pet store stuff was like the same as a 30w in hardware stores... so this answers my question :eek:

Sticktongue

Avid Member
Thanks! I have a range of bulbs for basking, depending on what the cage temp is. But I was just curious if a 60w in the pet store stuff was like the same as a 30w in hardware stores... so this answers my question :eek:

Glad we could help and save you some money :)

Top Bottom