Night time Heating

Darkside yautja

Hi All,

I'm currently using an exo terra ceramic heater on a dimming thermostat for day and night heating, But have been considering buying a mega rays mercury bulb to achieve optimal heat and uv exposure. But i cant use it at night... just wondering if i'll have to buy another dimming thermostat and keep the ceramic heater for night time?

Any other ideas?

For UV im currently using the exo terra compact top.

Thanks everyone :)

You need a basking light during the day and will only need a heating source at night if the temperatures drop below about 60. What chameleon do you have?

Its for a panther chameleon,

I currently use the ceramic heater for basking and ambient temps, and the compact for uv.

Just thought it make make life easier if i could save some room and get it all done in one.

Use a baskign light, i'm not sure how strong the heating is from the ceramic heater. A regular housebulb works well. Also, i'd switch that UV bulb for a linear reptisun 5.0 or a reptiglo 5.0

we have a panther, well two now now and don't use anything at night, our house is normally around 74 all the time. Apparently its good for their environment to drop by around 10 degrees on a night. That is just what we do anyway and for a basking light we just use a normal house bulb of 40, we use the long 5.0 repti glow strip lights for uv.

Its for a panther chameleon,

I currently use the ceramic heater for basking and ambient temps, and the compact for uv.

Just thought it make make life easier if i could save some room and get it all done in one.

What is "pretty cool"? Really, if your room doesn't get below 60 F at night you don't need heat. As long as the cham can get a good warm up each morning it should be fine. You don't want any visible light at night.

My house doesn't drop below 65 at night and I'm in England, during winters it may do though. In any case, a ceramic heater for winter nights would probably be the best bet, that's what I'll be using.

65 at night is perfectly okay for panthers... If your worried, I wouldn't be worried until BELOW 60.. Thats what I'd consider "pretty cool"... After some research on their climate, during June, July, and August their temperatures have the ability to drop into the low 50's (Fahrenheit)... This is their natural temps so figure against those... We sometimes forget that these guys are wild animals and have the ability to adapt... I would not worry about spending the money on a ceramic heater...

For those curious....http://www.climatetemp.info/madagascar/

The standard I go by is: can your family get up and go to the bathroom or the kitchen without pulling on extra socks and wrapping themselves up in a big robe or a blanket? If the answer is yes, then your chameleon is probably just fine without night time heat (unless you're weird, I have to make allowances for that).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom