Newbie with pics

timw1

Chameleon Enthusiast

Hi, wanted to wait until we finished the enclosure before I made my first post on the forum. I could not have built this enclosure without the ideas and suggestions from all the knowledgeable folks on here. Thank you all!
The enclosure frame is poly coated oak with screen front and sides. The base I made out of pine and houses the drain, drain bucket and Mist King. The only thing missing is the Panther we will someday acquire.

Tim

You will avoid the risk of your chameleon accidentally ingesting soil by placing large rocks on top of the soil. Rocks large enough so that a chameleon would not be able to eat them. Another issue I'm seeing is that there doesn't seem to be a sturdy branch for a basking spot near the top of the enclosure. Otherwise, great setup.

You will avoid the risk of your chameleon accidentally ingesting soil by placing large rocks on top of the soil. Rocks large enough so that a chameleon would not be able to eat them. Another issue I'm seeing is that there doesn't seem to be a sturdy branch for a basking spot near the top of the enclosure. Otherwise, great setup.

Thanks for the advise! I Before I purchase a cam I plan on using river rocks to cover the soil. There is a basking spot up near the top, just not visible in pics. There are branches embedded into the back wall that offer a nice basking spot, it stays about 85* Any and all input is welcome, I want to make sure I have all the bases covered.

Nice Ficus! I really like this species (Ficus alli) as it is tougher than the usual Ficus benjamina. Expect it to drop leaves lower down where the branches are shaded. They tend to "self prune" the leaves that don't get much light. If the plant thrives it will get a lot larger eventually. I once had one that was 8' tall, with a spread of about 5'. Used it in my melleri free range. You can also put pieces of window screen over the potting soil surface.

Thanks for the advise! I Before I purchase a cam I plan on using river rocks to cover the soil. There is a basking spot up near the top, just not visible in pics. There are branches embedded into the back wall that offer a nice basking spot, it stays about 85* Any and all input is welcome, I want to make sure I have all the bases covered.

It may come down to personal preference, but I've found that river rocks, especially in humid conditions, get pretty gross and make cleaning more of a chore.

Frequent mistings can quickly make poo soupy, which will succumb to gravity and be easy to miss when under or on the sides of rocks.

Not fun.

It may come down to personal preference, but I've found that river rocks, especially in humid conditions, get pretty gross and make cleaning more of a chore.

Frequent mistings can quickly make poo soupy, which will succumb to gravity and be easy to miss when under or on the sides of rocks.

Not fun.

What should I use to cover the dirt? screen?

Back
Top Bottom