Newbie with a quick question.

Protocol

Hi everyone, just picked up a veiled Cham yesterday. He seemed friendly in the shop and was happy to be walking up my arm etc. last night and this morning when I tried handling him he's hissed, turned a darker colour and tried to get away. Am I correct in saying it just because he's scared and in a new environment. He looks pretty chilled and relaxed in his cage when basking under his lamp and looked like he slept ok. He's also in a bigger cage than the shop with no buddies to hang with.

As far as handling goes should I lift him out still, let him hiss and leave him on my hand to relax or is this a no no and stress him out more?

Thanks Guys/Gals

Col

Congrats on the new cham. I would say to leave him for a few days to get adjusted to his new enviroment, and then start getting him used to you by offering him handfeeding. Im sure with some patience and some yummy treats from you he will be too happy to crawl back up your hand and arm

Congratulations on your new baby and welcome to the forum. He will probably need some settling in time. I would give him a week and then start to introduce your hand. Try hand feeding and see how that goes. Oh and we need pics please.:)

Cheers for the info and the welcomes. I thought that's all it would be but was just being cautious as I'm new to chameleons. He seems happy in his cage and enjoys tearing leaves of his plant.

Thanks again
Col

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 97
NEW Chameleon

Hey i live in south africa and i just found a baby chameleon in my garden and i would like to keep is and raise it and i would like to know how to go about it? Really need help? Does anyone have any tips.

Congrats on your new pet, and welcome to the forum. :)

Your perception is correct, it will take some time for him to settle down.

It's best to put them in a quiet location and do not disturb except feeding only.

Check out my blog on taming chams.
Click on my name, and select blogs from the pull-down menu.

You may find something of use there.

Best of luck with your new friend :D
I just got a new veiled myself a few weeks ago.

Oh, and dont forget, we love to see pictures of chams :D

Hi, thanks for that. I'll have a look at your blogs and see what i can learn. I tried attaching a few pic earlier but could only manage one for some reason.

Thanks again
Col

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom