Newbie needs lighting help! :)

shootapalooza

Hey Guys!

I am currently in the process of gathering the rest of my lights for a new cham.

So far, ive picked up the following items:

- Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 5.5-Inch Dome, Black
- Zoo Med ReptiSun® 5.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp
- Zoo Med Reptile Basking Spot Lamp 50 Watts

I am assuming that I will be able to use either bulb with the lamp clamp(Cut me off here if I am already wrong^^)

I was then planning to find a household light fixture for the basking light. Curious how the community feels as I would like to avoid burning down my place when possible :). im assuming porcelain is a must.

ALSO, if you are still reading, i was planning to upgrade to a tube light when replacing the compact bulb. Does it make a difference if I use a 24" tube fixture on an 18" cage? are there any negative effects? or is it strictly for aesthetic reasons?

Cheers,
Chris

Hey Guys!

I am currently in the process of gathering the rest of my lights for a new cham.

So far, ive picked up the following items:

- Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 5.5-Inch Dome, Black
- Zoo Med ReptiSun® 5.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp
- Zoo Med Reptile Basking Spot Lamp 50 Watts

I am assuming that I will be able to use either bulb with the lamp clamp(Cut me off here if I am already wrong^^)

I was then planning to find a household light fixture for the basking light. Curious how the community feels as I would like to avoid burning down my place when possible :). im assuming porcelain is a must.

ALSO, if you are still reading, i was planning to upgrade to a tube light when replacing the compact bulb. Does it make a difference if I use a 24" tube fixture on an 18" cage? are there any negative effects? or is it strictly for aesthetic reasons?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

First off grats on being a silly newb to the world of chams and gettin' into the hobby! Welcome to the community and hopefully you plan on staying! If you aren't planning on staying, it doesn't matter. We use force here :p.

With the compact bulb, regardless of the issue being fixed you want to monitor your cham's behavior. You don't know how old the bulb is and there is a slight chance it will cause issues with the cham's eye sight... This will cause larger issues because with eye problems comes usually a strong lack of appetite and such. The compact should be placed in a proper fixture, kinda like a small aquarium hood. You can find those online and in chain pet stores.

You can actually return the basking bulb and grab one from one of your own lighting fixtures to use it on your little one. They don't need extremes (110's +) my basking temp is actually sitting mid 80's.

There is no issue with using a 24 on an 18, the only thing that could possibly bug you is the overhang but usually you are out to eventually purchase a larger cage.

What is your new cham?

Chris,

First off grats on being a silly newb to the world of chams and gettin' into the hobby! Welcome to the community and hopefully you plan on staying! If you aren't planning on staying, it doesn't matter. We use force here :p.

With the compact bulb, regardless of the issue being fixed you want to monitor your cham's behavior. You don't know how old the bulb is and there is a slight chance it will cause issues with the cham's eye sight... This will cause larger issues because with eye problems comes usually a strong lack of appetite and such. The compact should be placed in a proper fixture, kinda like a small aquarium hood. You can find those online and in chain pet stores.

You can actually return the basking bulb and grab one from one of your own lighting fixtures to use it on your little one. They don't need extremes (110's +) my basking temp is actually sitting mid 80's.

There is no issue with using a 24 on an 18, the only thing that could possibly bug you is the overhang but usually you are out to eventually purchase a larger cage.

What is your new cham?
wow fast response :)

I have been doing a lot of reading on this compact bulb issue. some say that the problem was addressed and fixed in their bulbs a bit ago. I have also read that keepers add an extra visible light fixture which supposedly helps to avoid any eye issues just in case. Then again, this is all coming from a 3rd party source and not firsthand experience :p. Also btw, all of my equipment is brand spankin new, so I believe the compact light is good for 6 months.

I really like the hood fixtures and I will be buying a 24" cage at some point so Im thinking I will just go pick one up. Do you recall if the hoods accept both the screw in and tube bulbs? im guessing its product-specific.

I am still currently browsing the market for the cham itself. I have been trying to find some local breeders in my area to avoid any shipping issues. I would love to find either a Jacksons or a panther *cough cough* :)

wow fast response :)

I have been doing a lot of reading on this compact bulb issue. some say that the problem was addressed and fixed in their bulbs a bit ago. I have also read that keepers add an extra visible light fixture which supposedly helps to avoid any eye issues just in case. Then again, this is all coming from a 3rd party source and not firsthand experience :p. Also btw, all of my equipment is brand spankin new, so I believe the compact light is good for 6 months.

I really like the hood fixtures and I will be buying a 24" cage at some point so Im thinking I will just go pick one up. Do you recall if the hoods accept both the screw in and tube bulbs? im guessing its product-specific.

I am still currently browsing the market for the cham itself. I have been trying to find some local breeders in my area to avoid any shipping issues. I would love to find either a Jacksons or a panther *cough cough* :)

See, the issue I had with compacts happened when I had my Jackson's and it was recent. I took it out and he started drinking/eating again. The bulb was purchased brand new so at this point, I tend to share that bit of info as I hear otherwise.

I prefer the hoods as well but unfortunately the only screw in fixtures are the ones for compacts. If you want, when I get home tonight I can post all three cages w/ lighting. Also, a member on this forum could still be possibly selling a few kinyongia multi. Offspring from a clutch or so ago. Experience is usually a plus when it comes to variant species but with access to a good, well established vet as well as those who keep these beautiful creatures, failure seems a bit slim as long as you listen and keep an eye out.

I didn't pay attention and I'm sorry.. Where are you exactly?

you can use the cheap aluminum domes. They do not have to be ceramic. They don't break if you drop them either!:rolleyes:

See, the issue I had with compacts happened when I had my Jackson's and it was recent. I took it out and he started drinking/eating again. The bulb was purchased brand new so at this point, I tend to share that bit of info as I hear otherwise.

I prefer the hoods as well but unfortunately the only screw in fixtures are the ones for compacts. If you want, when I get home tonight I can post all three cages w/ lighting. Also, a member on this forum could still be possibly selling a few kinyongia multi. Offspring from a clutch or so ago. Experience is usually a plus when it comes to variant species but with access to a good, well established vet as well as those who keep these beautiful creatures, failure seems a bit slim as long as you listen and keep an eye out.

I didn't pay attention and I'm sorry.. Where are you exactly?
hmmm hearing that about your jackson really makes me wonder. I think im just going to steer clear of this and scrap the compact altogether after hearing this. I can make an xmas ornament out of the bulb:). Im also now thinking that I will simply use the 5.5" clamp for heat, then pick up a reptisun 5.0 linear tube + 24" hood.

If you get a sec, i wouldn't mind taking a gander at those lighting pics for comparison. And I live In BC Canada :) Do you recall if the breeder lives in CA or the US?

Thanks for all the help :). this forum has been an amazing resource.

Cheers,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom