Proper lighting

How am I supposed to lift the Arcadia Light 12 inches from the screen if it's laying flat?

the basking bulb i can understand, not sure about the UVB light?
You don’t need to raise the uvb 12” above the enclosure top and you wouldn’t want to. The distance between your 12% uvb light and the highest branch (aka basking area) needs to be 11-12”. So if you have your basking branch 8” below the top of the enclosure, you’ll need your 12% uvb to be elevated 3-4” above the top. This provides the distance of 11-12” between light and branch where your chameleon will be basking so that it will be able to get the ideal UV index of about 3.0. To raise my lights, I use wire baskets from the dollar store. You can buy Repti risers from Etsy. You can create your own method.

One little exception... Because it is a 12% bulb. To ensure that the screen is not getting a UVI level over a 6 you have to lift it more than the 3-4 inches. So you actually have to lift it 6-7 inches... Then branches 5 inches below the screen top. Otherwise the 12% bulb is going to be way too strong to have any closer. Especially if baby is screen climbing the top, it would be in over exposure levels if its not lifted 6-7 inches. Like I said as the baby matures and stops screen climbing you can change up your lighting. But you would want to drop back to a 6% UVB bulb and your branches would need to be 8-9 inches down from the screen. Then you can set the fixture directly on the top. But you can not do that until baby stops screen climbing which will take a few months. Finding a wire kitchen basking or a wire kitchen stand for a cabinet can work well to get it up higher.

So I was looking and reading this link - https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

I noticed the picture for the lighting schedule, I noticed the basking light is only on for about 3 hours? is this correct?

If so, what other lights are needed? I currently have 1 basking and I'm using the repti sun UVB until my arcadia T5HO 12% gets in this week. but if the basking light is only on for about 3 hours does this mean only the UVB stays on the 12 hours?

I feel like I'm missing a light.

So I was looking and reading this link - https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

I noticed the picture for the lighting schedule, I noticed the basking light is only on for about 3 hours? is this correct?

If so, what other lights are needed? I currently have 1 basking and I'm using the repti sun UVB until my arcadia T5HO 12% gets in this week. but if the basking light is only on for about 3 hours does this mean only the UVB stays on the 12 hours?

I feel like I'm missing a light.
The only lighting you would be missing is plant lighting. People use LED lighting (sansi or jungle dawn) for this and or T5HO fixtures with 6500k daylight bulbs.

Yes, their recommendation is to have the basking light on a shorter length of time. I run mine for 5 hours during the day. Approximately 2 hours after my UVB turns on I have my basking light kick on. I do this because the cage stays cooler during the morning misting so humidity does not tend to spike and stay higher for a prolonged period. So my basking timing also mimics more of what would occur in nature during the hotter part of the day when the sun is at its peak.

Back
Top Bottom