Newbie: Flap necked vs Panther?

Andie

Avid Member
Hi.
Forgive me if this post is in the wrong category.....I've just joined and can't seem to figure out where to ask this question.

(I've read all the starter pages, have my cage set up, & all my accessories.)

I just wanted to ask the more experienced folks; I'm planning on ordering a Flap necked as my first Cham, but I keep reading that Panthers are so great with handling and everything.

So, purely from a practical point of view, since Panthers are much more expensive, would you say it's better to start with a Flap necked, just to get the hang of their care?

I absolutely love the look of flap necks, which is why I chose that first, but I also hope to acquire one that's able to accept a little handling.
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

-Andie
Dogs, birds, chickens, rabbits, fish & 1 lizard.

I think a panther is a better starter chameleon then a flap necked. years ago my I got a flap necked as my first it dies with in three days I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault but anyways it stopped me from owning chams for a few years. Then I bought my first panther absolutely love them, I now have 6 panthers 2 carpets and 6 pygmies! Hope this helps!

You have to be prepared for the fact that chameleons in general just don't like being handled no matter the species. Whatever chameleon you get might just hate you near him. I have two like that and I just feed and water them and let them live their lives...lol.

You have to be prepared for the fact that chameleons in general just don't like being handled no matter the species. Whatever chameleon you get might just hate you near him. I have two like that and I just feed and water them and let them live their lives...lol.

I guess they come in 2s cause I have 2 like the too haha :p

Flap Necks often are imported, and importation delivers a high mortality rate. If you van find captive-born or captive hatched, the Flap Neck would be a good choice. Welcome to the Forum!:D

Nick

lol. It's the worst when I work in their cage and don't see them. Sometimes I get too close and they literally lunge at me.

Mine likes to bite the hell outta my finger! Once I get him out he fine then sees my thumb and lunges at it, little bugger!

Dilepis are a great species! Pardalis are ok too I guess.

If you can find a captive born dilepis that would be all that I would consider just starting out. Wild caughts usually carry a high parasite load. You will have to deal with that along with acclimation. They can be tough to acclimate. As for handling I would say this is a hands off species unless it is a cptive born that is used to being handled.

Finding a captive born panther is no issue. You just need to pick the locality you like. Handling isn't much of an issue once they get used to you.

Just as a general rule of thumb chameleons do not like to be handled.

Carl

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I so appreciate your incite and advice.
I'm aware that chams don't tolerate handling too much, but ever since I saw them in an exhibit I've been wanting one.

They are amazing and adorable to watch. Can't wait!

-Andie

BTW, Dakota.....how one earth do you keep the pygmies alive? I read they're just a couple of inches long!

Back
Top Bottom