New XL Cage and Feeding Issues

jenruss09

We’ve had our veiled chameleon since the end of April and he’s about 4 to 5 months old. He seemed like he was ready to transition to a larger cage because he was moving around it a lot and it was sometimes hard for him to move in it with all the plants and vines. He was in a screened cage that was about 18” x 12” x 20”. So I built him a new cage that’s about 3.5’ x 2.5’ x 5.5’ and placed him in it yesterday. It’s still a work in progress as I am adding more vines and limbs as well as putting in another UVB light and auto-mister today. But anyway.. he seemed happy yesterday and today he just roams around climbing from the top to bottom exploring his cage. I think he is hungry and is unable to find the free range crickets. I have not seen him eat today and I usually have no problems seeing him eat as soon as the food is placed in his cage. So I made a container for the crickets and worms out of a milk carton and he still hasn’t found it. Right now he is chilling at the top branch under the heating lamp.. probably tired from his explorations. His cage stays at 80 degrees all around (probably due to Texas heat and being in front of the window) with 60% humidity. My issue is: should I be concerned about his exploration and how can I help him find food? Did I move him to a cage that was too large for him at his age?

Attachments

• 194E35A5-2B41-4F9B-AA3C-84AB845EF44A.jpeg
    194E35A5-2B41-4F9B-AA3C-84AB845EF44A.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 58E362E8-48B2-4540-BA47-1B53FC3428DE.jpeg
    58E362E8-48B2-4540-BA47-1B53FC3428DE.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 144
  • CE740252-3006-4F6A-BC13-C344B4E54D18.jpeg
    CE740252-3006-4F6A-BC13-C344B4E54D18.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 103
I’m sure he can find his food source. Most likely it’s going to take a few days to a week for him to become comfortable in his new enclosure. One thing I did notice is that your basking perch is too close to the heat source. And where is your UVB light I hope it’s not the coil type.

I’m sure he can find his food source. Most likely it’s going to take a few days to a week for him to become comfortable in his new enclosure. One thing I did notice is that your basking perch is too close to the heat source. And where is your UVB light I hope it’s not the coil type.
I only have one UVB light right now and it’s a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb. I’m going to the pet store after work to buy another bulb. What is the coil type? That way I can make sure not to get one of those. I have the clamp light lamp for it and will be placing it on the other side of the cage. You may be correct about the basking perch. I had it placed about 5 inches below the bulb and when I placed the thermometer there just now to check, it went up to 100 degrees. So I moved it down two more inches. Hopefully that will be better.

I only have one UVB light right now and it’s a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb. I’m going to the pet store after work to buy another bulb. What is the coil type? That way I can make sure not to get one of those. I have the clamp light lamp for it and will be placing it on the other side of the cage. You may be correct about the basking perch. I had it placed about 5 inches below the bulb and when I placed the thermometer there just now to check, it went up to 100 degrees. So I moved it down two more inches. Hopefully that will be better.
If your uvb is in that dome, it’s the wrong type. You need T5HO.

You would benefit greatly from filling out this form.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

What’s wrong with the dome? It’s a ZooMed dome light specifically for chameleons. I’ll fill out the form in second reply.

Chameleon: veiled male (I think based on nubs growing on the backs of his hind feet). Approximately 4 to 5 months old. He was really small when we got him from the pet store at the end of April and they didn’t know his exact age. He’s been in my care a little over 2 months.

Handling: hardly ever. He’s been picked up about 3 times total since we got him.

Feeding: gut loaded crickets, super worms, wax worms twice per day. Approximately 10 crickets and 10 worms.

Watering: manual misting multiple times per day and dripper. Automist will be installed today, just waiting on delivery from Chewy.

He poops about once a day and it’s both brown and white.

Cage is 5 1/2 feet tall, 3 1/2 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet deep. It’s a screen cage with a plywood floor. Pics are above.

Lighting is a ZooMed UVB lamp and a reflector clamp lamp with UVB bulb. Two UVB light sources plus basking light. They are all placed on a timer for 12 hours on and 12 hours off at night.

Temperature and Humidity: measured by a hygrometer and thermometer in cage.. temperature at mid level is 80 degrees and humidity is 60%. Basking temp probably around 95 degrees.
Night time temps are around 76 degrees.

Cage is located in downstairs office on the floor in front of a window.

Live and fake plants in cage. Mostly live. Hibiscus, pothos vines, and “corn tree”.

We are in north Texas.. DFW area.

The problem is that the cage is new and large and wondering if I should be concerned about him finding food in this cage. How long will it take for him to acclimate?

Last edited:
Basically it has about an inch of UVB exposure, meaning UV doesn’t penetrate deeper than an inch
how much UVB light is needed when there is so much natural light flooding the whole cage? I can hardly even tell the UVB bulb is on because it’s so bright. I have to look under the lamp to confirm. I considered the fluorescent type tube bulb and lamp but wasn’t sure about placement and opted for a clamp light instead, which covers a large area of space. Here is a photo of one of the clamp lights with the plant bulb in it. Kinda hard to tell because of the natural light and purple color. But hopefully it will give some kind of idea.

Attachments

• BE68B511-BB1C-45C2-9D91-9666B4425751.jpeg
    BE68B511-BB1C-45C2-9D91-9666B4425751.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 73
I don’t actually like the purple light. So I’m going to find a plant bulb that’s more natural looking.

how much UVB light is needed when there is so much natural light flooding the whole cage? I can hardly even tell the UVB bulb is on because it’s so bright. I have to look under the lamp to confirm. I considered the fluorescent type tube bulb and lamp but wasn’t sure about placement and opted for a clamp light instead, which covers a large area of space. Here is a photo of one of the clamp lights with the plant bulb in it. Kinda hard to tell because of the natural light and purple color. But hopefully it will give some kind of idea.
As newer keeper I have learned that Uvb does not penetrate through glass, natural light and heat does but not uvb. You will have to get a linear light fixture to provide adequate uvb dispersion throughout the cage.

Light is not the point.... It’s like can you get a sun burn from sitting in a well lighted room? They need what gives us sunburns UVB

UVB provides vitamins to the chams that they require to live. Just like humans do. I think you would really benefit from reading some of the care sheets provided on the forum so you can learn more about how to provide your chan with what it needs to live a full and healthy life :)

So now that we got the lighting issue taken care of... can anyone answer my question that was the reason for making this thread to begin with??

Back
Top Bottom