New XL Cage and Feeding Issues

So now that we got the lighting issue taken care of... can anyone answer my question that was the reason for making this thread to begin with??
Brody did answer you. The size of the cage is not affecting his ability to eat. They hunt their food down in the wild just fine. It's more possible that you're just not seeing him eat because he has more space to hunt now.
Its also possible that his insufficient lighting is what was causing him not to eat.

Brody did answer you. The size of the cage is not affecting his ability to eat. They hunt their food down in the wild just fine. It's more possible that you're just not seeing him eat because he has more space to hunt now.
Its also possible that his insufficient lighting is what was causing him not to eat.
Well he’s been in his new cage for less than a day. The lighting worked fine in his much smaller cage and did not affect his eating so I doubt lighting was the issue. He’s in my office and I work from home. So his cage is right next to my desk and I watched him all day long since 6:30 this morning and did not see him eat a single thing. But we shall see how he does in the next few days with the two UVB lamps. If there is no improvement then what? Put him back in his smaller cage?

Well he’s been in his new cage for less than a day. The lighting worked fine in his much smaller cage and did not affect his eating so I doubt lighting was the issue. He’s in my office and I work from home. So his cage is right next to my desk and I watched him all day long since 6:30 this morning and did not see him eat a single thing. But we shall see how he does in the next few days with the two UVB lamps. If there is no improvement then what? Put him back in his smaller cage?
In the larger cage he is getting even less UVB than before, plus his lack of UVB that he was getting before can take awhile to manifest in to behavioral issues. So yes, it could be an issue with the lighting. I dont think you understand that appropriate lighting is one of the most important factors in chameleon husbandry.

He could also just be acclimating to his new environment. Changes in environment can cause chams to go on a hunger strike. The size of the cage is not the issue, so moving him again to the small enclosure will not help you.

We have had many new keepers on here freak out because their Cham hasn’t eaten in a couple days. From what I gather it takes them some time to acclimate to the change. Give him a couple days to get settled and I’m sure he will come around. :)
I also had my 2 mo veiled in a 2x2x4 and had a feeding cup. He had no issues hunting down escapees lol.

In the larger cage he is getting even less UVB than before, plus his lack of UVB that he was getting before can take awhile to manifest in to behavioral issues. So yes, it could be an issue with the lighting. I dont think you understand that appropriate lighting is one of the most important factors in chameleon husbandry.

He could also just be acclimating to his new environment. Changes in environment can cause chams to go on a hunger strike. The size of the cage is not the issue, so moving him again to the small enclosure will not help you.

Well I was told by the pet store that the lamp and lighting that I am using worked for my cage. I knew enough to know that it wasn’t enough for a much larger cage, which I’ve been saying from the beginning. I just didn’t understand why a tube light was preferred over the other options. So I can’t be faulted as though I was going to just use the one lamp for the larger cage.

Well I was told by the pet store that the lamp and lighting that I am using worked for my cage. I knew enough to know that it wasn’t enough for a much larger cage, which I’ve been saying from the beginning. I just didn’t understand why a tube light was preferred over the other options. So I can’t be faulted as though I was going to just use the one lamp for the larger cage.
Did you watch the YouTube video I posted? Here it is again if you missed it

No one is faulting you? We are telling you what you need to succeed with your cham. However, a quick search online would have shown you that the lighting you were using was insufficient. Unless you specifically went to an exotic reptile store, I can promise you the pet store you went to has no business giving information on reptiles. Hell, if you did go to an exotic reptile store they have no business even being I'm business. But at the end of the day their responsibility is not to you as a keeper, it is to their bottom line and the corporate sales goals set before them. It is your responsibility to educate yourself in the best ways possible for how to care for the living things that you took responsibility for. That doesnt mean taking the word of someone with a blue vest and a name tag.

No one is faulting you? We are telling you what you need to succeed with your cham. However, a quick search online would have shown you that the lighting you were using was insufficient. Unless you specifically went to an exotic reptile store, I can promise you the pet store you went to has no business giving information on reptiles. Hell, if you did go to an exotic reptile store they have no business even being I'm business. But at the end of the day their responsibility is not to you as a keeper, it is to their bottom line and the corporate sales goals set before them. It is your responsibility to educate yourself in the best ways possible for how to care for the living things that you took responsibility for. That doesnt mean taking the word of someone with a blue vest and a name tag.
Well I’ve done a lot of research and looking at other chameleon blogs. There is one in particular that says you don’t have to use a reptile heating bulb and that an incandescent bulb will work. I’m actually skeptical about that one.

chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
chameleon-uvb-light.jpg

Well I’ve done a lot of research and looking at other chameleon blogs. There is one in particular that says you don’t have to use a reptile heating bulb and that an incandescent bulb will work. I’m actually skeptical about that one.
Yes. This is true. "Reptile heating bulb" is just a fancy way of saying "over priced light bulb". Its exactly what I was saying before. The pet store trying to meet their bottom line.

I would suggest getting a dual hood for your uvb that you can then put a bulb for your plants in.
Well I have that dual ZooMed lamp that I am currently using for the UVB and heat lamp. Since I am getting the T5HO to run the length of the top of my cage, couldn’t I just put a plant bulb in the ZooMed lamp in place of the UVB? I also want to make sure my plants don’t die.

Back
Top Bottom