New veiled not eating yet

@Beman @MissSkittles and @jackthejellydragon , Ellie just wanted to update everyone on here that the fountain is gone, lots of misting is keeping the humidity around 40-50%, and three plants with rocks covering the soil have been added. We still haven't seen Yoda eat any more crickets, and he didn't eat any of the wax worms or the baby hornworm. The crickets are disappearing from the feeder run, so he must be finding them and eating because he seems happy (green) and active during the day. We think he's just very (VERY) shy and won't let us watch him eat. We still have a LOT to learn. Here are a couple ofView attachment 276797View attachment 276798 pictures from earlier this week.
Please remind me what UVB your using? I see you have it raised up but it would appear that there is not a branch all that close. You put regular screen on the top panel correct? Daytime humidity only needs to be 30-40%. 50% would be the very max end but it is recommended in the 30-40% range.

Yes, it is raised up because we realized he was able to get closer than 6" to the top, and the bulb was flush with the top. The stick closest to the top is 4" away and so we raised the bulb another 2". Yes, there is a regular window screen on the top. The usual humidity has been between 35% and 45%, but it does sometimes get up to 50%. It is a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb, 15 Watts, 18-Inch, T-8.

Yes, it is raised up because we realized he was able to get closer than 6" to the top, and the bulb was flush with the top. The stick closest to the top is 4" away and so we raised the bulb another 2". Yes, there is a regular window screen on the top. The usual humidity has been between 35% and 45%, but it does sometimes get up to 50%. It is a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb, 15 Watts, 18-Inch, T-8.
Ok perfect as long as the branch is positioned below it at 6 inches so he has access to the UVB.

How many feeders are you putting in the run?

Yes, it is positioned below it at 6". This morning we put in 11. Yesterday my husband helped Ellie and they only put in 4, but they were more medium-sized. Two escaped when my husband tapped on the screen, and two were dead in the bottom of the feeder this morning. ?

Yes, it is positioned below it at 6". This morning we put in 11. Yesterday my husband helped Ellie and they only put in 4, but they were more medium-sized. Two escaped when my husband tapped on the screen, and two were dead in the bottom of the feeder this morning. ?
Where do you find baby is spending most of its time on the top level? You want that feeder to be positioned near it. Looking at the image... It looks as though it might be better to have the run on the right side rather then the left because the right side of the cage has more light. And you want to load it with like 2 dozen crickets so that it sees constant movement. Once baby realizes that is where the food is and this typically takes a few days then you won't have to worry so much. But he really needs to be eating.

Ellie's Mom here - we returned the waterfall and that's where we had gotten our tongs (they were thrown into the box as well), so the tongs had to go back. It was a struggle to get the crickets out in order to move the feeder. Very stressful for Ellie since the enclosure is in her bedroom. ? Two escaped, but we caught them with a toilet paper roll - we would just trap the cricket with it, and then it would climb inside.?

Ellie's Mom here - we returned the waterfall and that's where we had gotten our tongs (they were thrown into the box as well), so the tongs had to go back. It was a struggle to get the crickets out in order to move the feeder. Very stressful for Ellie since the enclosure is in her bedroom. ? Two escaped, but we caught them with a toilet paper roll - we would just trap the cricket with it, and then it would climb inside.?
My veiled is in my room (I’m 12 btw) and today I knocked over a container with about 15-20 crickets... in the hallway. I WISH it was just 2. ? I caught most of them though. But still... now I have some more escapee crickets to join the rest that have escaped in my room!!

So are they being kept in a bin? If so here is the easiest way to get them out... keep the tp rolls in the bin... They will need these to crawl on anyways. Then your going to want a plastic cup... Grab tp roll put into cup and tap the tp roll against the side of the cup then toss tp roll back in bin. My bin is the same one I posted a pic of earlier and is 15 inches tall so nothing jumps out when I do it this way. See pics below... No escapees this way.

IMG_5278.jpg IMG_5279.jpg IMG_5280.jpg

Hi my girl is a veiled chameleon I think she’s around 3 months I got her 2 days ago from petco. I have her is a self made enclosure until I can buy her a bigger one it’s around 2 to 3. I was told to feed her crickets which I’ve been putting small crickets in a feeder and she hasn’t ate any of them I have tried feeding her meal worms too. She drinks water though the day I brought her home I seen her eat one cricket since then though I haven’t seen her eat at all. So please let me know if this is normal or what. Thank You also what is the recommendation for feeding her what method to use also how do I get her to eat from the feeder.

@Beman Thank you again! Yes, they're in a cricket keeper with tubes. We were just shaking the tubes right into the feeder, which wasn't working too well! The harder part was getting the crickets out of the feeder itself in order to relocate it though. We're learning the hard way with a lot of this.

So, right now, the crickets are sitting perfectly still in the feeder. If we tap on the feeder, they move a bit, but not much. About 12 of them can squeeze into the top edge of it and hide there! Maybe Ellie just needs to use the money she got from returning the waterfall and buy an actual shooting range. ?

Hi my girl is a veiled chameleon I think she’s around 3 months I got her 2 days ago from petco. I have her is a self made enclosure until I can buy her a bigger one it’s around 2 to 3. I was told to feed her crickets which I’ve been putting small crickets in a feeder and she hasn’t ate any of them I have tried feeding her meal worms too. She drinks water though the day I brought her home I seen her eat one cricket since then though I haven’t seen her eat at all. So please let me know if this is normal or what. Thank You also what is the recommendation for feeding her what method to use also how do I get her to eat from the feeder.
Hi and welcome. :) I would suggest starting your own thread so that you can receive more personalized info.

You should look back at all of the advice that Beman gave us at the beginning of this thread. There is a TON to think through and learn before you start caring for one of these amazing creatures. Mealworms are not good for Chams. Up above in the thread there are also good pictures of charts showing what to feed your cham and what to feed the crickets before you feed them to the cham.

Back
Top Bottom