New veiled not eating yet

Wow, this is so helpful. I'm crying though because with all the research we did, we still didn't get it right and my daughter did hours of weeding for neighbors to get enough money for all the equipment we do have...so, we'll see how soon we can swap these things out. She has to pay for each of the things. Now I'm realizing we should have joined the forum FIRST, to be sure she was set before buying the Cham. We will do our best though!

Here are pics of the supplements. The liquid calcium now we know is bad. If only these products could say “all reptiles EXCEPT for chameleons”. ?View attachment 276333View attachment 276334View attachment 276335
Like @Beman said, don't cry. We've all made "rookie" mistakes as keepers, and it's all part of the learning process. The important thing is that you and your daughter came here looking for help straight away and I can tell you're trying to do the right thing. You'll get there, and you have this community to help you out along the way :)

Well, Pet Supply Plus (where we bought the supplements) has told us no returns because of covid. It's ok, we will help her out with some of this. My husband was just trying to pull legs off of tiny crickets (to set them in a bowl for Yoda) and killed a few in the process, so we'll be buying the next batch of those at least. ha!

The good news is that Yoda did eat a few crickets for us eventually today and he was climbing all over and looking very happy green. We also caught a couple of the big crickets that were loose in the enclosure and got rid of them.

There is quite a run on live cham food right now! We went out today, tried three stores, called a few more, and finally found one with truly SMALL crickets that were actually alive. Those are the ones he finally ate, though we didn't have them gut loaded. We just wanted to get him eating something!

Ok, more answers for you:
We *think* we can see spurs on his back feet, but he is so little, that it's hard to tell. I will post a picture tomorrow (right now my phone is dead)

It is very encouraging to hear that it can take a few days for him to start eating again. In the morning we are going to set up a feeder like the one you linked to (the shooting range). We have a take-out container that is the same shape that we can attach to the screen and we'll see how it works in the morning. Otherwise, we may need to put him into a smaller terrarium with crickets for feeding time each morning to be able to monitor how much he's eating. We have one of those from when Ellie's big brother had a bearded dragon years ago.

Ellie seems to have a good grasp on the gut loading. She has been saying we need carrots and apples, etc, and to rotate the food. My goodness, what a lot to keep track of, but it is certainly keeping her brain engaged in positive information.

We have a cool-mist humidifier we can set up for the night. I'll try to do that after posting this.

Eliana had made sure the basking spot was 9" away from the heat lamp. However, she had a vine going all the way to the top under the uvb lamp. So, we need to change that.

Thank you for all of the helpful links. I've made a bookmark folder for Ellie with all of them- the youtube channel is one she was already watching regularly. :D

We will work our way through the other recommendations tomorrow afternoon. We will look at the husbandry link and hopefully, Yoda will be happier and healthier very soon.
Most of us order our feeders. You can take a look at the site sponsors. https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/?tag=food
I would do an order as baby will be taking down a lot of 1/4 (two week) old crickets every day. Plan on at least 15 a day for the next 3 months. It will be cheaper then buying that many from stores.

You can use a a plastic tub and cut out the top then add screen to it for this and then use toilet paper rolls for the crickets to crawl on.

Ellie can use a variety of fresh greens from the gutload sheet or use a commercial gutload like repashy bug burger.

Here is one of my tubs for crickets. It is about 15 inches deep (so they don't jump out when I pull the lid off).

IMG_2550.jpg IMG_2551.jpg

Today was a big school day and we've been pretty busy. We did spend time this morning trying to coax Yoda to eat. We put him in a terrarium with a vine and a bunch of crickets. We didn't see him eat any, but we did leave him for a while and don't know if he ate any or not. At the end of that time I observed a cricket crawl right underneath him and he did nothing about it. Sigh. So, after that attempt, we had to leave for a few hours, so returned him to the enclosure. When we got back, we did this (see pic). There were five crickets, and later only 4, but we think it could have easily jumped out. Eventually, I scooped up two crickets with a clamp scoop and held it open in front of his face and thankfully the crickets didn't jump out and he did get them both at once.

Our thought right now is to buy some repti-worms or some other food item that might be easier for him to see and catch in a food bowl. I do feel like this is as crazy as getting one of my newborn babies to eat, lol!

We will have more time tomorrow to help him.

@CBee7726 thanks for the closer look for the heel spurs. We had the same thought. :D Thank you also for your encouragement. Much to learn, but we are also enjoying him!

Today was a big school day and we've been pretty busy. We did spend time this morning trying to coax Yoda to eat. We put him in a terrarium with a vine and a bunch of crickets. We didn't see him eat any, but we did leave him for a while and don't know if he ate any or not. At the end of that time I observed a cricket crawl right underneath him and he did nothing about it. Sigh. So, after that attempt, we had to leave for a few hours, so returned him to the enclosure. When we got back, we did this (see pic). There were five crickets, and later only 4, but we think it could have easily jumped out. Eventually, I scooped up two crickets with a clamp scoop and held it open in front of his face and thankfully the crickets didn't jump out and he did get them both at once.

Our thought right now is to buy some repti-worms or some other food item that might be easier for him to see and catch in a food bowl. I do feel like this is as crazy as getting one of my newborn babies to eat, lol!

We will have more time tomorrow to help him.

@CBee7726 thanks for the closer look for the heel spurs. We had the same thought. :D Thank you also for your encouragement. Much to learn, but we are also enjoying him!
So while removing him from the enclosure may seem like a good way to get him to eat it will likely just cause further stress. he is in a very large cage for a baby. This can be done but the cage has to be set up properly with many branches and lots of foliage. Then with the feeder run easily accessible and loaded with crickets.

Example: This is the enclosure my newest one went into. it is 4 feet wide by 4 tall and 2 feet deep. He went into this when he was 4 months old and he is about to be 6 months now. You can see the feeder run is on the top where the basking level is... He has full sight into the run and can easily get to it as I have a few smaller branches coming up to it. When they are young specifically they spend most of the time high so placing the feeder dish to where they easily see it helps... After about a week they learn that is where their food is and will start going there on their own.

IMG_5235.jpg

So while removing him from the enclosure may seem like a good way to get him to eat it will likely just cause further stress. he is in a very large cage for a baby. This can be done but the cage has to be set up properly with many branches and lots of foliage. Then with the feeder run easily accessible and loaded with crickets.

Example: This is the enclosure my newest one went into. it is 4 feet wide by 4 tall and 2 feet deep. He went into this when he was 4 months old and he is about to be 6 months now. You can see the feeder run is on the top where the basking level is... He has full sight into the run and can easily get to it as I have a few smaller branches coming up to it. When they are young specifically they spend most of the time high so placing the feeder dish to where they easily see it helps... After about a week they learn that is where their food is and will start going there on their own.

View attachment 276370
this is very helpful, thank you!! Yes, we were going to put the dish up by the basking spot. I can also move the feeder run closer to that spot.

Here’s a pic of the take-out tray. It’s wet because we sprayed it to get them to move. ? Sorry the pic is sideways. There is also a larger cricket that must be from the first batch in there.

0F3518E4-5D22-4DD9-89C3-7AFD6CE745DE.jpeg

this is very helpful, thank you!! Yes, we were going to put the dish up by the basking spot. I can also move the feeder run closer to that spot.

Here’s a pic of the take-out tray. It’s wet because we sprayed it to get them to move. ? Sorry the pic is sideways. There is also a larger cricket that must be from the first batch in there.

View attachment 276371
Yes so the feeder run is way too low in the cage. Think of it this way. Low for a chameleon means the potential for danger. They stay high in trees to reduce threat from predators. So when you look at their enclosures apply the same thought. Bring that all the way up so it is level with where he sits for basking. Put a branch all the way to the front of it so the baby can easily access and load it up with size appropriate feeders.
IF you tie in a cup at basking level make sure that it is solid and not see through. They will not understand that they have to hit from above and will try to hit from the side if it is clear plastic.

Yes so the feeder run is way too low in the cage. Think of it this way. Low for a chameleon means the potential for danger. They stay high in trees to reduce threat from predators. So when you look at their enclosures apply the same thought. Bring that all the way up so it is level with where he sits for basking. Put a branch all the way to the front of it so the baby can easily access and load it up with size appropriate feeders.
IF you tie in a cup at basking level make sure that it is solid and not see through. They will not understand that they have to hit from above and will try to hit from the side if it is clear plastic.
Perfect, thank you!!

That is so cool that you made your own shooting gallery type feeder! :) Just make sure that the edges aren’t sharp. Either melt a little with a lighter or run a bead of hot glue along it.
Eliana sanded the edges till they weren’t sharp. She’s also the one who thought of the take-out container. ?

So, we have good updates!!! Today we were moving the feeder and Yoda was just waking up. He just sat watching us for a good while and then, suddenly, he started booking down toward us! We were very surprised and just stared in disbelief! Then, he stopped, turned his little head and threw out his tongue catching a big cricket! We hadn’t even seen it, but he ran at it half-way across the cage! After that he went straight to the waterfall and took a drink! We know that’s a problem item, but we are leaving it for the short term. Anyway, this gave us great hope that he’s hunting well and not as hungry as we had thought!

We also were able to get him a tiny hornworm (don’t know if he ate it or if it escaped the bowl) and got a pathos in the enclosure that he already loves!! Hooray!!

Attachments

• 79AD05F2-A873-4BD7-B788-B924AB115A0D.jpeg
    79AD05F2-A873-4BD7-B788-B924AB115A0D.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 75
  • E3EE5711-D148-49FC-AA9F-927E38CB2EEB.jpeg
    E3EE5711-D148-49FC-AA9F-927E38CB2EEB.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 78
So, we have good updates!!! Today we were moving the feeder and Yoda was just waking up. He just sat watching us for a good while and then, suddenly, he started booking down toward us! We were very surprised and just stared in disbelief! Then, he stopped, turned his little head and threw out his tongue catching a big cricket! We hadn’t even seen it, but he ran at it half-way across the cage! After that he went straight to the waterfall and took a drink! We know that’s a problem item, but we are leaving it for the short term. Anyway, this gave us great hope that he’s hunting well and not as hungry as we had thought!

We also were able to get him a tiny hornworm (don’t know if he ate it or if it escaped the bowl) and got a pathos in the enclosure that he already loves!! Hooray!!
great news that he is eating... I do cringe about the use of the waterfall. Are y'all changing and cleaning it out every single day? Really it is a bacteria breeding ground. if fecal or insects get into it then it is that much more disgusting. I would really encourage y'all to remove it and have Ellie spray the plants down really well instead.

great news that he is eating... I do cringe about the use of the waterfall. Are y'all changing and cleaning it out every single day? Really it is a bacteria breeding ground. if fecal or insects get into it then it is that much more disgusting. I would really encourage y'all to remove it and have Ellie spray the plants down really well instead.
thanks, it is really helpful to hear why things aren’t recommended. We will take it out today. Thank you again!!

hooray. they are all a little stubborn at first. I remember when I first saw my guy do it it was just like that he ran across the enclosure and boom he got the cricket with his tongue. :D It felt victorious in a way. Did it feel victorious for you.It never gets old either.

@Beman @MissSkittles and @jackthejellydragon , Ellie just wanted to update everyone on here that the fountain is gone, lots of misting is keeping the humidity around 40-50%, and three plants with rocks covering the soil have been added. We still haven't seen Yoda eat any more crickets, and he didn't eat any of the wax worms or the baby hornworm. The crickets are disappearing from the feeder run, so he must be finding them and eating because he seems happy (green) and active during the day. We think he's just very (VERY) shy and won't let us watch him eat. We still have a LOT to learn. Here are a couple of
IMG_5893.jpg
IMG_5896.jpg
pictures from earlier this week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom