new veiled chameleon owner

I just got my first vailed chameleon today from the driskel bloodline

Attachments

• Snapchat-60022338.jpg
    Snapchat-60022338.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 81
Feeding- I'd get some variety if you can, every bug has different contents so it helps to have a mix. Gutload with veggies, seeds, nuts, some fruit(there's lists you can look up). I'd skip the water crystals and just put a carrot or apple slice in for hydration.

Supplementing- calcium free of d3 and phosphorus every feeding, calcium with d3 1x every other week, vitamins (such as herptivite) every other week. Alternate weeks between d3 and vitamins, don't use on same week. Also don't dust with the plain calcium on the day you use your d3 calcium or vitamins.

Water- there are tons of different misting schedules, but ideally you probably want around 10-15 total minutes of misting split between 2-4 times a day. (Im a panther guy, so maybe a veiled keeper can give you more accurate input on that). We mist for what seems longer than necessary to clean out and hydrate their eyes, allow them to wash off, raise humidity, and give them time to drink. Often it might take them a little while to get a drink so it's important to just keep misting even if it seems like overkill.

If you can place the cage at eye level, it helps them feel safe and secure. They live high up in trees after all.

Also whoever told you not to measure temp and humidity is flat out wrong. For a veiled juvenile according to the caresheets temperature in basking spot should be around 85. 95 max for an adult. Humidity should be around 50% and spike to around 70 during mistings.

Hope that helps, goodluck

ill put and an apple in the tub now, only using the water crystals as I all ready had them and want to use them up.
ill look into herptivite any other good multi vitamin that's available in the uk?.....so just to double check every day use the calcium with out d3 and every other week use the reptivite and once I get a multi vitamin use that the week I don't use the reptivite?
ill look into a misting system too, but I have seen him drinking from the dripper that is set up.
the coffee table is only for the time being until I find something higher
the reptile shop I got him from,said I wouldn't need to keep an eye on temps and humidity as the light system that came with the setup cant be used with a thermistate, and if I mist 2 times a day it will be fine

Last edited:
You may not like when I say this, but then your reptile shop doesn't know what they're talking about and are inexperienced. Not trying to be mean I know it's not your fault! They are trying to make a profit, people here are just trying to help each other keep their Chams thriving. Reptiles thermoregulate, they all need correct temperatures to thrive. You need to be misting heavy like mentioned, the dripper only helps their drinking, but misting does more than that.

As for supplements, reptivite is a vitamin supplement, just be careful because that, unlike herptivite can be overdone and build up in their systems. Maybe @kinyonga can explain it better for you. You want a calcium with d3 to use once every other week on alternating weeks with the vitamin.

You may not like when I say this, but then your reptile shop doesn't know what they're talking about and are inexperienced. Not trying to be mean I know it's not your fault! They are trying to make a profit, people here are just trying to help each other keep their Chams thriving. Reptiles thermoregulate, they all need correct temperatures to thrive. You need to be misting heavy like mentioned, the dripper only helps their drinking, but misting does more than that.

As for supplements, reptivite is a vitamin supplement, just be careful because that, unlike herptivite can be overdone and build up in their systems. Maybe @kinyonga can explain it better for you. You want a calcium with d3 to use once every other week on alternating weeks with the vitamin.

I really appreciate all the advice on here is been a great help, so I don't need to get another vitamin supplement I need to get a calcium with d3? I have just purchased a temperature and humidity gage and will be here tomorrow :)

I have found this....
D3 needs to be used only twice a month along with Multivitamins twice a month as well. Normal calcium without d3 should be used almost every feeding for young chams. Once your chameleon is older, that's when you use calcium every other day. I don't use the zoo med supps, but repcal is a very good brand for d3 and normal calcium. Everyone uses it and rarely has a problem with it. Sticky tounge farm is a good brand too for multivitamins, you need to get the one without the d3.

My dusting schedule for young chams goes like this
Monday-Saturday: Calcium without d3 (lightly dust each feeder)
Sunday- Calcium with d3 then next Sunday Multivitamins. Switch each supp every sunday so you get each twice a month.

I got with my cham..... calcium without d3 and reptivite with d3.

so I need to get calcium with d3 and a multivitamin without d3?

I have found this....
D3 needs to be used only twice a month along with Multivitamins twice a month as well. Normal calcium without d3 should be used almost every feeding for young chams. Once your chameleon is older, that's when you use calcium every other day. I don't use the zoo med supps, but repcal is a very good brand for d3 and normal calcium. Everyone uses it and rarely has a problem with it. Sticky tounge farm is a good brand too for multivitamins, you need to get the one without the d3.

My dusting schedule for young chams goes like this
Monday-Saturday: Calcium without d3 (lightly dust each feeder)
Sunday- Calcium with d3 then next Sunday Multivitamins. Switch each supp every sunday so you get each twice a month.

I got with my cham..... calcium without d3 and reptivite with d3.

so I need to get calcium with d3 and a multivitamin without d3?
Every other day is because feeding usually are every other day with an adult chameleon.

Excellent !!. Are you new to chameleon all together or he's new to the house ?

First time owner
He has had his d3 for this week, and his reptivite, which one would you suggest to start with next week? As I don't want to over do it with either one. Also got turning up tomorrow temperature and humidity gages, next few weeks going to add live plants. And going to look into a mister and a new lighting system too. Just want best for my lil rango

Also I have see pics of chams eating out of pots with like mealworms etc in, where/what can I use so I can start feeding rango diff stuff

First time owner
He has had his d3 for this week, and his reptivite, which one would you suggest to start with next week? As I don't want to over do it with either one. Also got turning up tomorrow temperature and humidity gages, next few weeks going to add live plants. And going to look into a mister and a new lighting system too. Just want best for my lil rango
Ok so supplementation calcium with D3 is every 2 weeks . If he had it this week he won't have it till week of the 22nd . Multivitamin you want opposite weeks so last week of this month . Then from there mark either in your phone or calendar for reminders . Calcium with D3 every feeding which right now is every day .

Lights lightyourreptile.com Tod is whom you can chat with if you need to chat .

Plants when you get them you will need to wash them with soapy water rinse well change potting soil to an organic . It's recommended to put stone on top of the soil so your chameleon does not try to eat the soil .

Basking and humidity is very important the plants will help keep humidity and also stay wet a bit longer then fake . If your baby dehydrates it's a death sentence .

Automatic Mister we have climist love it mistaking is also recommended . If you go Automatic Mister make sure you have good drainage .

Last edited:
Also I have see pics of chams eating out of pots with like mealworms etc in, where/what can I use so I can start feeding rango diff stuff
Yup cup feeding . Mealworms are not best choice . Their very little nutritional factor and they're hard shelled . There's concern with impaction . I personally do not feed them to any of my babies. If you wish to not often .

A little understanding of why we dust: most feeders have a higher phosphorus to calcium ratio naturally. The calcium powder reverses this, allowing our Chams to get the calcium they need to live. It's more of a necessary extension of our feeder to dust than just a supplement that adds a some health benefits. There are exceptions like BSFL and silkworms that do not need to be dusted with plain calcium.

I'm glad to see you're taking advice. Thats a good sign for someone that will be succesful with chams :) no one here means to give a hard time, we all need help starting with these animals. they aren't hard but are complex and have specific needs. I am pretty new myself and it's amazing, I could not imagine having a cham without this forum.

IMG_4984.PNG
This is what we use . I got black , I've been told chameleons do not like red . They also work great for plants like small potho's . They have holes in the bottom I taped mine so critters don't Escape . We have a dragon stand with the ledges there perfect fit .

Back
Top Bottom