New Toy!

Got my new toy in the mail today. :D

KevinZamp05_21_20102443RS.jpg

KevinZamp05_21_20102449RSRC.jpg

This wasn't take with the new lens.... but when I was at Dave Weldon's house he let me use his brother's 70-200mm L IS USM... Took this shot in the back yard. Gotta get me one of deez lenzez!

KevinZamp05_15_20102340RC1.jpg

Wow, all the equipment in the world would never have me taking pictures like that, excellent. Guess we know who will be dominating the photo contests.:D

Howdy Kevin,

Neat! I'm thinking real hard about adding a macro like yours to that Canon T2i that I've been thinking about getting around the end of the month. How about posting that eyeball photo you took :). I only saw it on the back of your camera :eek:.

Howdy Kevin,

Neat! I'm thinking real hard about adding a macro like yours to that Canon T2i that I've been thinking about getting around the end of the month. How about posting that eyeball photo you took :). I only saw it on the back of your camera :eek:.

Here you are sir.

This photo is taken with the 100mm L Macro IS ISM.... out of my price range :eek: :p

With 550EX flash

KevinZamp05_15_20102374RS.jpg

With MR-14EX flash (had to hand hold the flash, doesn't fit on the end of the L lens :()

KevinZamp05_15_20102378RS.jpg

Here is Goldie on the 70-200mm L IS USM. I love this lens Dave... I am drooling over them on eBay..... :eek:

KevinZamp05_15_20102341RS.jpg

If you take that Macro and stick a 50mm on top of it (using a reversing coupler) you can get even closer.
Here are some macros of an ant I got using a Nikon 105mm macro with a Nikon 50mm lens added to it.

Attachments

• DSC_4505.jpg
    DSC_4505.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_4496.jpg
    DSC_4496.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 120
just your standard 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens. You can pick up the couplers from ebay or any camera shop. Just match the filter size of both lenses. This couples them together and you have the rear of your 50mm (or any other lens) to shoot with.
If you have your Macro at 1:1 and put the 50mm on top of it, you can get less then an inch away from your subject.

Congrats on the "toy"

Congrats on getting a new toy; that 100 macro is what got me to buy an SLR. Loved it. I'm sure you'll love what yours can produce.

just your standard 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens. You can pick up the couplers from ebay or any camera shop. Just match the filter size of both lenses. This couples them together and you have the rear of your 50mm (or any other lens) to shoot with.
If you have your Macro at 1:1 and put the 50mm on top of it, you can get less then an inch away from your subject.

had no idea you could do this. sweet!

I am gonna try this.... I was reading about how it can be 'hard' and the image's aren't that great... but your shots look pretty nice! Just gonna have to play with the light and settings. I have wanted to get a 50mm and getting the coupler ring isn't too much money for some 'play toys'. Can always use the 50mm as a normal lens (around $100) and the rings don't look to cost very much... so not a bad 'experiment'.

I am gonna try this.... I was reading about how it can be 'hard' and the image's aren't that great... but your shots look pretty nice! Just gonna have to play with the light and settings. I have wanted to get a 50mm and getting the coupler ring isn't too much money for some 'play toys'. Can always use the 50mm as a normal lens (around $100) and the rings don't look to cost very much... so not a bad 'experiment'.

It is trickier to get a good shot since your DOF is so shallow being this close to the subject. A tripod is a must and most people use a focusing rail to move the camera on the tripod. I do the opposite and move the subject back and forth to focus.
Here is an example of a Hibiscus macro. The bottom is a standard macro, middle is with the 50mm added and top is a 100% crop to show that you don't loose too much IQ from adding another lens on the Macro lens.

Attachments

• DSC_4398.jpg
    DSC_4398.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 94
oops....I guess PNG files get resized here....
Here are the individual jpgs.
left is standard macro (105mm)
middle is with the 50mm added on the 105 macro
last is a 100% crop of the 105 +50 setup.

Attachments

• DSC_4398.jpg
    DSC_4398.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_4378.jpg
    DSC_4378.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_4386.jpg
    DSC_4386.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 89
Very nice.

Can you explain how this works? I mean the operation of the lenses and how to operate it? Can you set a DOP, or is it just 'what ya get'?

Can you explain how this works? I mean the operation of the lenses and how to operate it?

Basically you mount your Macro lens like you normally do. Then using the coupler (make sure you buy one that matches the filter threads on both lenses) add the 50mm lens. Keep the aperture on the 50mm lens wide open or else you will get a black ring in your shots (this Aperture does not affect DOF).
You now have a camera with two lenses facing each other.
Adding the 50mm lens, lets you focus closer than your other lens alone will let you.
You operate your Macro lens like you normally do...it is just like adding a close-up filter(or a magnifying glass) on your existing lens.

Can you set a DOP, or is it just 'what ya get'?

I think you meant DOF....
DOF is Depth of Field. DOF on any lens is controlled by the Aperture, Focal length and Subject Distance.
The smaller the Apeture (larger number) the more DOF you get.
The closer you are to your subject, the less DOF you get. <<<<This is what you will experience, since you will be much closer to your subject. The ant shot was done with the ant less than 1/2 inch away from the lens.

Ya'll have taken some awesome pictures - wonder if you could snap a picture of a sneeze - get out the ole pepper and give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom