New to the hobby and looking for advice...

Dazlancs

Hi All,

I'm just looking in to getting in to this and i am looking at getting a Panther Chameleon however, i need to buy the full set up first. I don't want to do it on the cheap as i believe that you should always house an animal in the best way possible.

I'm looking at the following
4'x2'x2' enclosure with reptisun UVB hood with 10.0 UVB tube, ZooMed hygrotherm controlling an Arcadia deep heat infrared heater (50w) and a ZooMed ReptiRain. I'm planning on putting the heather inside an external fixture (such as an exo Terra basking lamp fixture) and then decorating with a waterfall, various plants, vines and branches along with a hammock (for chilling out).

I was just wondering if you guys and gals can advise if this is a good set up or not and if i'm missing anything on the list at all (except the chameleon itself, of course).

Thanks in advance,
Darren

No waterfall unless it’s got cycled biological filtration or it’s deep cleaned daily (deep cleaned=bleached/disinfected/sanitized/etc.-still deep clean the filtered waterfall).

You might want to get a little uva light next to the Arcadia deep heat projector so your cham can see where to bask

You might want to get a little uva light next to the Arcadia deep heat projector so your cham can see where to bask
The Arcadia does have UVA and UVB (according to the website) but i'm unsure as to which holder to go for as i'd like to have the lamp outside to reduce the risk of burns on the chameleon ideally (i don't want a big bulky cover on the lamp).

The waterfall is one of the Zoo Med kits.

Thanks for replying :)

The Arcadia does have UVA and UVB (according to the website) but i'm unsure as to which holder to go for as i'd like to have the lamp outside to reduce the risk of burns on the chameleon ideally (i don't want a big bulky cover on the lamp).

The waterfall is one of the Zoo Med kits.

Thanks for replying :)
Those don’t have any sort of filtration so you’d need to deep clean it daily, and if you wanted to, add your own filtration. Drippers are usually a better way to go, along with misting. I only said add a uva light because the deep heat projector has a very low visible light. Also, welcome to the forums!

Those don’t have any sort of filtration so you’d need to deep clean it daily, and if you wanted to, add your own filtration. Drippers are usually a better way to go, along with misting. I only said add a uva light because the deep heat projector has a very low visible light. Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the advice - could you suggest a bulb (I've just been looking at the Powersun UV (probably 80w)) that would be acceptable and give sufficient UVA/B for the Chameleon to identify the best position?

Thanks for the advice - could you suggest a bulb (I've just been looking at the Powersun UV (probably 80w)) that would be acceptable and give sufficient UVA/B for the Chameleon to identify the best position?
The power sun has uvb in it, so I personally wouldn’t use it. I use the Exo Terra intense basking spot bulbs, you’ll have to experiment with the different wattages to get the right temperature in your basking spot. Zoo Med basking spots are good, too!

I believe that the powersun would not be effective because of it's range and UVB output. Don't get a waterfall, even if you deep clean it every day, it is a pain and stresses your cham.

Back
Top Bottom