New to the forums!

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
Hi! I’m new here and got a 3 month veiled chameleon, believed to be male, about 3 weeks ago! I am very excited to be able to post questions and stuff on here. Btw I’m also 12, so I gotta run a lot of things by my parents first. Just wanted to introduce myself! ?

Welcome to the forum!

If you answer the questions below we can check your care to make sure you're doing the best for your chameleon...

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thanks! Here is the info:
Welcome to the forum!

If you answer the questions below we can check your care to make sure you're doing the best for your chameleon...

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Veiled, male, 3-4 months now. How long has it been in your care? 3 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never except when we put him in the cage. Letting him get more comfortable.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Mainly crickets, also BSFL, every couple weeks a waxwork or two. Looking to expand the variety as much as we can. What amount? Around 20-25 small crickets a day. (I feed him from a feeder run cup) Is this too much?? He dosent always eat everything. What is the schedule? Put food in by noon. Usually earlier. How are you gut-loading your feeders? With cabbage, kale, lettuce, and some others that I really can’t remember. For gutloading the BSFL I am just using the stuff they come in. Trying to make a good dry gutload recipe for them soon though.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium without d3 6 days a week. Flukers repta calcium with d3 twice a month, and herptivite once a month, reptivite once a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting only. How often and how long to you mist? We have an automatic mister that mists 1 minute every 4 hours. Do you see your chameleon drinking? We saw him drinking the first day but we haven’t seen him drink since then.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown with a completely white urate. It is a little smelly if you smell it. Is this normal? Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. We bought him at Hewitt reptile emporium.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) screen reptibreeze. What are the dimensions?24 by 24 by 48. Inch.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? 1 Linear 22 inch t5HO 10.0 (reptisun), and a heat lamp, not colored. (His eyes should be fine) And one grow light near the bottom. Trying to save my dying umbrellas. What is your daily lighting schedule? On at about 9 am, off at about 9 pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Floor is about 70. Highest actual basking spot is 85. Sometimes he will climb up the screen to get closer after he jus went on a walk around, or ate. Is this normal? Lowest overnight temp? Overnight is normally 65-68. How do you measure these temps? With 4 digital, small ones that show temp and humidity. One cheap analog gage, (which I know is not the best so that’s why we also got the others) and one digital temp gun thing.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Normally 60-65 percent according to all 4 of the digital gauges. Is this to high for him to be in for a month or two? I can open a window for some breeze for airflow, but if it might cause RI I can just get a dehumidifier. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Don’t need to create any. Naturally humid here. What do you use to measure humidity? As mentioned above 4 small digitals and one analog guage measure the humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. If so, what kind? One large money tree, one dwarf umbrella, one Pothos. Have seen bites out of the money tree.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No fans or vents. I am passing through there multiple times a day. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 5.5 feet.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Seattle, WA
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

D95E9F49-9533-4D5B-AC7A-2F7103F25AAF.jpeg
D92CBCE5-6438-424F-9244-D8EC6CFC50CB.jpeg
70446C5A-9103-4CFC-98B4-29F7A5C283D9.jpeg
E89CAB40-BBAF-4F58-B201-5DE466AC1707.jpeg

Is there anything wrong with him that you can tell from the photos?

Well, not at the moment. Not at our house currently. I can post some more when we get back though. He/she has tarsal spurs. Can females have tarsal spurs at this age?

Well, not at the moment. Not at our house currently. I can post some more when we get back though. He/she has tarsal spurs. Can females have tarsal spurs at this age?
well females sometimes have small spurs, at least mine does. I'm saying that he looks like a she due to patterns and size of casque

Ok. So like what do you keep her basking at? And how much do you feed her? Just for reference
well when she's a baby/juvenile you can give her unlimited supply. But once she gets older, you want to cut the feedings so she dosent over-produce eggs. Adults should be fed about 3-4 feeders every other day

Back
Top Bottom