New roof and tar smell...harmful?

Julirs

Ok-here is a question I have never seen...

I am getting a new shingle roof put on the house in a few weeks. If you have ever been near a house that is having a shingle roof put on, you know there is a strong smell of tar...

Can this be harmful to my cham herd and other herps?

We had a new roof put on a few years back; there seemed to be no ill effect on the animals (at the time, 1 cham, 1 leo, an assortment of fish, newts and frog). However, this was on a 2 story house (animals on first story, roof physically far removed from them) and in Michigan in February (no open windows or doors).

I really doubt it would be possible to answer that question. I've done some studies on exposure to asphalt (bitumen) fume and it can get complicated. There are a number of guidelines for HUMAN health exposure some of which depend on the benzene concentration of the asphalt (concern with cancer outcomes) and the actual particle size of the fume (how deeply it can penetrate the respiratory system). Given the complexity I would doubt that this has ever been studied for chams or other similar creatures.

I can say that assuming low benzene content (which is most often the case) the odor threshold is typically well below any level of health concern in humans. In other words, just because you smell it does not mean there is a problem. But again - this is for humans.

As a follow-up. Perhaps the best approach is as mentioned above; keep windows and doors closed, if your ventilation system has outdoor air intakes then block them off.

If you really want to take it to the next level maybe even consider not using exhaust fans (bathroom/stove) for a couple days as this can draw things in with negative pressure. An air filtration system with carbon beds would also help but this is probably over kill.

Are you sure they'll be using hot tar? We just had our roof replaced. There was no hot tar. They laid down tar paper and nailed the shingles over them. For flat areas they used a rubber/vinyl sheeting made by Firestone which was put on with a heat gun.

Are you sure they'll be using hot tar? We just had our roof replaced. There was no hot tar. They laid down tar paper and nailed the shingles over them. For flat areas they used a rubber/vinyl sheeting made by Firestone which was put on with a heat gun.

That is a good question and I am not sure if they will be using tar or not. I did see on the estimate something about a "stick on" moisture barrier, and the flat roof has already been done with the vinyl sheeting and heat gun.

Back
Top Bottom