new pygmy help

sophiechameleon

After much research I chose to purchased a male USAMBARA PITTED PYGMY CHAMELEON (RHAMPHOLEON TEMPORALIS) from FlChams and began to wonder if it would be okay to house this little guy alone. I know alot of people house many pygmy's together so I was wondering if he would be fine by himself?

Also if anyone wants to offer advice on taking care of this little pygmy i would really appreciate it! :)

Yes they do just fine by themselves! They don't need buddies but since they're like the only Chams that tolerate communal housing a lot of people go that route for fun. But they thrive on their own too.

One of the biggest pieces of advice is the housing of your little guy. Temps no hotter than 80°, and humidity over 70%. From there it is just basically food and water. Post some details or pictures of your setup, and others can help.

Why not buy a gravid female and go through the process of hatching eggs? If you buy a gravid female, you don't need a male. I believe they retain sperm for over 1 year, closer to 2 years?(I think) Then when you hatch the babies you can sell me some. :D Unless you already purchased it, then disregard. LOL

Really though, Pygmies in general are fairly easy to care for. As stated, a photo of your setup would help others help you figure out if you are on the right track or not.
Make sure you have access to the appropriate sized feeders would be another big piece of advice.

Thom O.

Why not buy a gravid female and go through the process of hatching eggs? If you buy a gravid female, you don't need a male. I believe they retain sperm for over 1 year, closer to 2 years?(I think) Then when you hatch the babies you can sell me some. :D

Thom O.

I was thinking about buying a gravid female but i would be afraid of doing something wrong and messing up the hatching of the eggs! I was really considering it though haha =)

Hatching the eggs is very easy. I let mine sit on a bed of moist vermiculite at room temp. They hatched after 90 days. The hardest part is remembering to check them, LOL

Stick with what you are comfortable with and you will have great success. I hope you post photos when he arrives. I think they are one of the cutest pygmies.

Hatching the eggs is very easy. I let mine sit on a bed of moist vermiculite at room temp. They hatched after 90 days. The hardest part is remembering to check them, LOL

Stick with what you are comfortable with and you will have great success. I hope you post photos when he arrives. I think they are one of the cutest pygmies.

After the eggs hatch do you leave them in the same cage as the parents or do you remove them?

And I will make sure to post pics =)

I believe they lay clutches of 2-3 eggs at a time. I would expect a clutch every 4-6 weeks, if conditions are favorable. I don't really know how many clutches they can produce from a single breeding though. I was told with my panthers that after 3 clutches, the retained sperm is usually used up.

My Pitted Pygmy laid three eggs on the 18th of October. I hear the can lay as many as 5. Just a reminder, just because you have eggs, doesn't mean they will hatch. I think there is an old saying about that. Had to do something with chickens. :D

Back
Top Bottom