New Pygmy Enclosure

lrg83caleb

I am about 3/4 of the way now towards completing my new enclosure. Definitely lacking some sticks and twigs in there. I have springtails, a fern and some moss on their way from Josh's frogs. Any comments and helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PygmyEnclosure 001.jpg
    PygmyEnclosure 001.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 298
  • PygmyEnclosure 002.jpg
    PygmyEnclosure 002.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 286
Lookin' good!

As you said, it does need some more sticks.

Are the springtails for the 'clean up crew' or for feeders? If they're for feeders, they will be too small.

Adam

I have 1.3 Spectral Pygmy Chameleons on their way from Florida Chams. I should have them on friday.
I have the cage pretty well down by this point. At 6:45 am it takes 20 squirts of water from my mister with a 70 degree room temperature to have the cage dried out by 3pm. The humidity is down to 65 percent by that time too.
I attached a new picture to show my progress. I've added several new branches.

Attachments

• PygmyEnclosure004.jpg
    PygmyEnclosure004.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 234
Do you only spray once a day? I would suggest a heavy spray in the morning and a light-ish spray about a hour before the lights go out.

What size of cage is that? It might be a little to small for 1.3 Spectral Pygmys if its a 18x18x24.

Anyway, the enclosure looks good!

Adam

I wanted to get the heavy spray thing figured out because I read that you want it to dry down before spraying again. I will be sure to spray in the evening.
It is a 18x18x24 exoterra.
I was under the impression that this would more than accomodate 1.3?

I would go bigger if possible, if not then I would be sure to include several plants to provide "barriers" so that they feel more secure in their "own" space.
I would monitor them for any stress as well, for a while. Did you get any gravid females? I know they had some.. err maybe one.

Thom O

Looks good! That's the size EcoTerra I have; I got 1.2 brevs (about the same size as spectrals?), and could have easily accommodated 1.3. The ferns may or may not work out in the long run; none of my ferns made it (I think the light was too intense for them; maybe I could have provided more shade). Orchids have done wonderfully; every one (five total) I put in in January is still going strong, and they've grown.
You'll ultimately have to suit your misting to what your eyes and humidity gauge are telling you; one moderately heavy misting in the morning was fine for me during the spring and summer, but now that the furnace has kicked on, I need to do the heavy in the morning, lighter after work routine (like adamkwas said, an hour or so before lights out, so things can dry down a bit before bedtime).
I'd love to see pix of your pygmies once you get them!

The tank looks good. i might put in some smallish plants, the ones you have are quite nice but the all seem large.

Update

Of the 4 Pygs that came in, only 2 have made it. The heat pack was either a dud or spent by the time they made it to my house. It was exactly what I hoped would not happed.
The 2 females that made it are doing great. They are eating and drinking well. The darker of the 2 might be gravid.

Attachments

• FemalePyg 001.jpg
    FemalePyg 001.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 166
  • FemalePyg 004.jpg
    FemalePyg 004.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom