New plants? LIVE PLANTS!

Kittiekins

So I find it's time for me to go for some new plants, live ones that is. I got a new cage, some new vines and need a small new plant to live it up a bit. so since its a smaller 15x15x30 screen cage I need something small enough to fit properly. Any ideas on what is a small plant I use? Something a veiled would maybe like to munch on?:) I'm working on getting a Hibiscus outside on the patio, but lately with all these storms I need something indoors.

Before I start rambling on and on, home depot has this line of Bonsai trees, and I'm a sucker for them. But are they safe for my little growing chamie?
Some of the ones I was looking at, (I love the ones with flowers, but if their not safe I guess they would make good desk plants too)

*http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brussel-...?MERCH=REC-_-nosearch3-1-_-NA-_-202019281-_-N

*http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brussel-...H=REC-_-product-4-_-202019281-_-100651256-_-N

*http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brussel-...H=REC-_-product-2-_-202019281-_-100651244-_-N

*http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brussel-...H=REC-_-product-3-_-202019281-_-100651242-_-N

The first and second are okay. The second is an azalea cultivar but I can't say for sure about the 3rd and 4th.

The azalea cultivar is a rhododendron, they are not OK for chams. The umbrella plant and the fourth plant which is a type of gardenia are both OK. The third one is in the borage family and distantly related to solonaceae. The flowers and berries look very similiar to those of the deadly nightshade and I would not chance putting them in my chams cages. I know there is a ficus that is often found as a bonsai and that is safe for chams. You could also get some mini orhids to brighten up your cage.

The azalea cultivar is a rhododendron, they are not OK for chams. The umbrella plant and the fourth plant which is a type of gardenia are both OK. The third one is in the borage family and distantly related to solonaceae. The flowers and berries look very similiar to those of the deadly nightshade and I would not chance putting them in my chams cages. I know there is a ficus that is often found as a bonsai and that is safe for chams. You could also get some mini orhids to brighten up your cage.

I don't know how you knew this but thank you! I've been trying to find a min ficus but cant seem to find any that are in good shape around me. And the orchids always die way to fast):

No matter what plants you decide on, lighting and drainage will play a major role in determining if they will live in your enclosure. Ficus and arboricola are your two best bets but often the way they come potted is not good for high water situations and the plants will root rot. Also you will, most likely, need more lighting to keep them alive than most keepers run on their enclosures. If you don't want to up your lighting you can always buy additional plants to rotate in the enclosure so that they can get more light in another area.

No matter what plants you decide on, lighting and drainage will play a major role in determining if they will live in your enclosure. Ficus and arboricola are your two best bets but often the way they come potted is not good for high water situations and the plants will root rot. Also you will, most likely, need more lighting to keep them alive than most keepers run on their enclosures. If you don't want to up your lighting you can always buy additional plants to rotate in the enclosure so that they can get more light in another area.

I didn't even think of that. Yikes, that could have wasted some money. Thanks!
I don't think I'll have much of a problem with light or drainage though. At first I did, but then I lined up all the leaves of fake plants to have almost like a small river among the leaves starting from my drippier down to my bucket.:)
Took me a while to get it right. But I got it now! :D
And would the increase of light do any damage to my cham?

Funny thing is, I have the non bonsai version of each of those plants....And the answer if it would hurt your Cham, is both yes and no. As it depends on the amount of light because too mch can irritate their eyes. What really matter is what light you are going to put in.

talking through one's hat

These needs correction.

Rhododendron, which includes "azaleas", are poisonous and not suitable as houseplants, true enough.

The "umbrella plant" - Schefflera arboricola is safe, true; Gardenia however, is not at all safe, and difficult as a houseplant.

The third plant is "Fukien tea" - called both Ehretia and Carmona; it is safe, and it is not related to the Solanaceae. I find it is a challenging houseplant.

Ficus benjamina bonsai could work; I do not recommend orchids of any type, as they are treated with toxic fungicides, and not safe for eating.

As others have mentioned, bonsai plants will need very bright lights, and I read that you are already having problems with keeping the lights on. It might be wise to wait until that issue is resolved.

These needs correction.

Rhododendron, which includes "azaleas", are poisonous and not suitable as houseplants, true enough.

The "umbrella plant" - Schefflera arboricola is safe, true; Gardenia however, is not at all safe, and difficult as a houseplant.

The third plant is "Fukien tea" - called both Ehretia and Carmona; it is safe, and it is not related to the Solanaceae. I find it is a challenging houseplant.

Ficus benjamina bonsai could work; I do not recommend orchids of any type, as they are treated with toxic fungicides, and not safe for eating.

As others have mentioned, bonsai plants will need very bright lights, and I read that you are already having problems with keeping the lights on. It might be wise to wait until that issue is resolved.

I have no more issues keeping the lights on anymore.:)
Finally had a nice sit down talk with the boyfriend and we moved out, one reason all the reptiles got an upgraded or better quality cage to go with!
And since we moved out loco has been eating better and shedding normally, as well as growing properly!
An environmental change for her was for the better! I blocked off most my closet for her so she basically has her own little room with as much privacy as she wants with no traffic around, as well as it's become easier to keep her light levels on track without bugging anyone.

Thank you for the help with the plants though! I don't know much on that subject. But my boyfriend has an obsession with bonsai trees and makes them for his landscaping job every now and then anyways. He knows all the proper care for them.
I have to wait till next month to get a normal small ficus plant. Repticon is coming up and I figured I'll be sure to find a nice healthy ficus there! Unlike the shops around me right now. What kind of lights would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom