New panther not eating much. please help.

jojothefirst

Hi.
I got 2 baby ambilobe panthers 9 days ago. A 4 month old male and a 3 month old female.
The male is doing great but the female isn't eating much at all.
She is active and I have seen her drink but she is only eating 1 or 2 small crix a day.
The first day we had her she ate some dubia nymphs straight away but since hasn't eaten much.
The set up is all right with a 5.0 UVB and 25watt bulb, live plants ect.
But they are both in a 3ft tall and 1.5feet wide and deep cage. I know that's big for a baby but she is being cup feed so I didn't think it would be a issue.
And suggestions would be appreciated. I have kept and bred veileds but never panther.

She's probably not use to cup feeding. Do you have something smaller you can put her in to free range her crickets? Also are they housed together?

I could put her in something smaller yes, or reduce the size of her viv. Yes there in there own vivs, sorry I can see that not clear.

Iv moved her to a exo Terra 12"x12"x18" and feeding her smaller crix and fruit flys. She been there a few hours now and not eaten yet.
Any more suggestions

Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Panthers just need a while to adjust to their cages sometimes. Both of my panthers were started off at 3 months in 2x2x3 cages. And they both did not eat very well for a good 2 weeks. They were only eating between 2-6 crickets a day. As long as your female is staying active and drinking that is a very good sign of good health. She probably just needs to get more accustomed to her surroundings. Honestly from my experience, the worst thing you can do is move them to different cages and put food right in their faces. What I do is attach a small feeder cup right next to their basking branch. Make sure the cup is not clear ( see-thru) get a white plastic cup about 3 inches across and about 2 inches deep. Put your crickets in there and then put a stick in the cup so the crickets can venture out at their own pace. This is sort of free range / cup feeding. It has worked awesome for me. She will come around to eating more. My female was only eating 5 a day tops for 2 weeks or more, and now she is 5.5 months old and she eats 15-20 a day, and probably more if I gave the little piggy a chance to. LOL! Also make sure you cricket proof your cage as best you can. MAke sure there are no places where they can hide away from your Cham.

Oh yeah, JannB is right. I would warm her up too. Maybe bump that 25watt back to a 50watt. Just make sure you are not getting your bask too hot. anything in the mid 80's is OK, but when you get up into the mid 90's that may be too much.

Back
Top Bottom