New panther chemeleons!

Ferrah88

Hello everyone, I'm back! I used to be a bit more active a couple of years ago when I had my t. elliotis (which ended up being so hard to come by it was hard to keep them...) and a female veiled.

For those of you that saw my post in the heath section know a bit about my chameleons already, but for those of you that don't know...

I saw a lovely male panther chameleon at a local pet store, one that I had instructed on the care of chameleons... I still can't believe they actually hired a new reptile guy that KNOWS what he's doing! He had a dripper, lots of climbing and hiding places... he looked really happy. He even came to the glass at the front to say hello as I stood by looking at him. I could tell he wanted to come home with me. The next thing I know, we are filling out his papers and paying for him (I needed to get his new home set up, so I couldn't take him that day). Because everything was clean and ready, just not actually set up, I was able to pick him up the next day. I felt bad as he was put into a fabric bag (I don't know how they usually transport chameleons, but this place puts them into a fabric bag with some paper to hold on to. It's dark so they usually sleep on the way home). He was NOT happy, but fell asleep fast.

He's not the most beautiful panther there ever was in terms of appearance, but his personality is amazing. He's super chill and comes out when I clean up his poop. He hand feeds and is more or less everything you would ever want from a chameleon!

We ended up going back to the pet store the next day to pick up some shavings for my new hisser colony and wanted to give the chameleon guy a heads up on how he was settling in. He wanted to know why I only took the male and not the female. I saw her there, but she didn't speak to me like the male did. She was kinda... sitting there, not moving a whole lot. She didn't look unhealthy, just a bit scared I suppose. I figured, why not take her too, it's probably hard for the store to sell a lone female. So I put her on hold, and set up a second viv and picked her up too. She was a pretty vicious thing in that bag they put her in. She tried to bite me loads of times through it, so I thought I'd take her out on the car ride home. It was a nice and warm, sunny day, so it wasn't a problem. She came out, and rested on my hand, watching everything, but was a LOT calmer than she was in that bag. In fact, she knew this bag so well that as soon as I put my hand on it, she would gape and hiss at it, so I had to remove it from her sight and put it in the back of the car to calm her down!

So I have had the male for a week today, and the female for just under a week. The male is still just as friendly as when we got him. I haven't seem him gape, puff up, or get angry at anything. I was hoping to get a picture of him fired up, but honestly, he is chill about everything! The female on the other hand is just as scared of everything as I imagined. She's missing a lot of teeth too, so she won't eat yet either, still working on that! I also think she MIGHT be carrying eggs... but I'm not 100% sure how to check or even tell. My female veiled never had any, even infertile ones. But I have put a laying box in her viv, just in case. I also have a bigger one in case I notice her trying to lay, but not liking what she has in there. Maybe one of you can tell by the included image?

Anyways, here's a picture of each!

Meet Ryu:
2nqv8e8.jpg

And Sakura (I removed the leaves from her basking spot to get a better image, which also made her unhappy! She is hidden again, as I replaced the leaves for her. She hates being watched!):
25ush2e.jpg

::EDIT::
I forgot to mention that they are not young. They once belonged to another, before arriving at the pet store, which is why I believe she MIGHT be gravid, as they might have been held together. They should be approx. 3 years old already.

Back
Top Bottom