New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male and female and age of your chameleon 6 months old. How long has it been in your care? Four weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Everyday when misting
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 50 What is the schedule?every day How are you gut-loading your feeders? With powder
Supplements - What brand reptical and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Everyday calcium
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? None How often and how long to you mist? Sometimes Do you see your chameleon drinking? Kinda
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Barely any poop white brown Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Died after eggs

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Screen?) What are the dimensions?18''18''36''
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat and sunlight from window
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have no clue 74 I think
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?40% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Gauge
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Tree
Placement - Where is your cage located? Garage Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 3 feet

As the other member stated you need to purchase a uvb bulb. If your cage temp is 74 you also need a basking light for your chameleon to warm up. About another 10 degrees would be perfect around 84 degrees under the light. You need a temp and humidity gauge. Basically, that care sheet will give you all the info you need to raise a healthy chameleon. Welcome to the forums and chameleon ownership!

One more question I picked up a UVB fixture reptisun fixture. Didn't come with a bulb so I need to find one. Would you recommend the reptisun 5 or 10. If the UVB can't go though screen like window mesh. That's what the top of the cage is windows screen fine holes. Reptibreeze

You did the right thing asking questions here. I use the 5.0 bulbs. You are going to 2 of everything. You will need calcium with and without D3 plus vitamins and food. Plus food to feed the crickets or roaches that you feed to the cham. Do you know if you have a male and female or 2 females? Your female needs an egg laying bin. The female can die if she is not handled correctly and gets egg bound. You MUST get an egg laying bin right away. Where did you get these from that they didn't tell you anything about them? You have to keep them in separate cages. You need screen cages that are a pretty good size. Can you post some pics? What kind of chams are they?

Is it normal for the female to laying on the floor of the cage. I found her this way today.

no, it signals that there is a problem. My guess would be Either related to egg laying, or poor husbandry generally. Do please read all the links you were provided, especially this one to start with:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

One more question I picked up a UVB fixture reptisun fixture. Didn't come with a bulb so I need to find one. Would you recommend the reptisun 5 or 10. If the UVB can't go though screen like window mesh. That's what the top of the cage is windows screen fine holes. Reptibreeze

ReptiSun 5.0 is good. Yes the screen mesh will block some of the UVB. Make sure each animal, in its own cage, can get within 12inches of the bulb.

Not to be mean but you should have done more research before you got your chameleons

Boy, you are a genius! The guy is trying to solve problems and get his situation right. You say should have done his research prior to purchase. What a way to help. If you cannot offer help then keep out of it. Those of us want to help so nothing happens to the chams.

Boy, you are a genius! The guy is trying to solve problems and get his situation right. You say should have done his research prior to purchase. What a way to help. If you cannot offer help then keep out of it. Those of us want to help so nothing happens to the chams.

I think something is fishy about this guy. He is asking how to take care of chameleons yet he just said in the help thread that his "9" year old veiled just died this morning after owning her since 2003.... so yea. just my two cents.

Trying to do what's right that's all. I made alot of mistakes with my 9 year old. I didn't have Internet back in 2003. Cut out the nonsense comments if you don't want me that's find keep your comments to yourself. Making me already want to leave. If it keeps going this way I will.
Thank you rcdrivertim and I thought I new what I was doing but admit I did wrong things.

Does he look alright just bit me little sucker.

Did it hurt? LOL Mine is feisty too. To be honest he looks dehydrated. His eyes are sunken in some. You can tell a male from female in the veileds by the little spur on the back leg near their knee. I would suggest double everything you have or return one to the store if you can. They can't be together unless she is wanting to or ready to breed. THEN you have to take care of the eggs as well. I have one and he takes time to take care of with his food, vitamins, misting, feeding and so on. I take mine out in the morning for most of the day in the sun. He has plenty of plants for shade, which is must outdoors.

You are doing the right thing by asking and reading here. If the store won't take one back then I would try to re-home it to someone on here.

Post some clearer pic as well, that helps the senior people help you.

It didn't hurt think he was hungry didn't want let go. I have a repti fogger in the back ill start misting again. Little dripper thing sucks drips to much. Spur ill look wish I can get better photos. They are fast and I get near them they mouth open hiss. I would post a photo of there legs.
Would this be ok 20 gallon on bottom and a steel topper with bigger holes for the UVB.
Could I bring the repti breeze outside and ill get another cage tomorrow need funds to be useable in bank. Would against the fense be ok my backyard is sunny. Has a lot of rabbits back there.
I just don't feel comfortable here members think am someone else. I almost have two of everything. Got the repcal calcium with d3 and herpivite I can't find without d3.
What's a good thing to do to provide water when your not home keep humidity 60-70% without spending a lot of money?

Are there photos of others setups to see on this site. Get idea I have golden pothos but if they eat the leaves get sick. It has fertilizer in soil use dirt outside but has bugs.

Well he came here saying I am a new owner, what do I do. It's almost like he just got a chameleon and a enclosure without learning about anything and saying "What do I do now".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom