New owner / dark in color

Thanks so much.
So here’s more pictures of this enclosure. Tell me what you would do to make improvements with it until I can get a new one. Like how would u set a light in differently and what would u suggest. And I will do it. Like I said I really enjoy him and I want him to be happy !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 58
Thanks so much.
So here’s more pictures of this enclosure. Tell me what you would do to make improvements with it until I can get a new one. Like how would u set a light in differently and what would u suggest. And I will do it. Like I said I really enjoy him and I want him to be happy !
That could be problematical. Chameleon enclosures have screen tops that provide ventilation via stack effect and allow folks to put lights on top or raised up a little. You can get an idea by looking at these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...VRhXIEHaRJBQsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625

Is the top of your enclosure removable without compromising structural integrity? IOW, could the top be replaced by a simple screen that lights could be placed above?

That could be problematical. Chameleon enclosures have screen tops that provide ventilation via stack effect and allow folks to put lights on top or raised up a little. You can get an idea by looking at these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...VRhXIEHaRJBQsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625

Is the top of your enclosure removable without compromising structural integrity? IOW, could the top be replaced by a simple screen that lights could be placed above?
No but I think what I will do is get a long light and try to attach it some how at top on one side and then get some branches that I can make a square type shape and zip tie them together maybe make two rows. Just to get me by

Off topic and probably not great timing but where did you get that enclosure it looks amazing probably not for a chameleon but for a small gecko or something it looks incredible and I kinda want one. Also to add it could also be if the heat bulb is pointed to him that he’s dark because that’s his basking colors mine both turn dark to absorb as much heat as possible now not to say he isn’t stressed and needs to have a larger enclosure for chameleons bigger is always better but honestly that looks amazing for a crested gecko small day geckos as a display especially with that large middle branch

What do u think?
The cage is fine. With all screen sides it’s fine, a fan would solve any ventilation. It is still smaller than I would suggest. The trick is going to be mounting the lights. I am sure it can be done, but that is a nice cage so I would not want to mess it up. It looks like 24in round frame with Velcro holding the mesh sides . So maybe. My honest opinion is to invest in a new cage, it will be cheaper in the long run. If you can’t get a refund I would keep it and save it for another animal. You don’t need to spend a lot on a cage. Look up Diy screen cage. The things that will kill a chameleon fast are lack of proper hydration, proper UV, proper supplements, and lack of ventilation. It only maters that these are met. It doesn’t have to be pretty or brand name. Look up butterfly cage. 24x24x36 is a great size to start for about $40. Focus on getting a 24in 6% or 5.0 T5HO. The rest can be managed by hand misting

Look up Diy screen cage.
Don't know why I didn't mention that earlier. 🤦‍♂️
If you'd like to explore that option, there are countless vids on YT on DIY chameleon enclosures.
Here's a 4-part 'How to' that I liked on building one from window screen kits available at home improvement stores.

There's an old carpentry & quilting adage... "Measure twice—cut once."
IME doing DIY projects, I would extend this to any project design—don't just jump in and start cutting. Do your research (look at a godzillion different enclosures and take notes of the features you like), think carefully about what you want and how you're going to achieve it, and draw up an actual plan.

Drawing up a plan often exposes flaws and/or situations that weren't obvious during the thinking stages, and can cost a lot in BS&T if/when found during the build. It can save a LOT in the long run.

DIY enclosures can save some money, but IME they're also just as likely not to save you anything, BUT, you can get exactly what you want, learn a lot during the experience, and get that little boost of pride & satisfaction at the end. Win-win-win! 😃

The cage is fine. With all screen sides it’s fine, a fan would solve any ventilation. It is still smaller than I would suggest. The trick is going to be mounting the lights. I am sure it can be done, but that is a nice cage so I would not want to mess it up. It looks like 24in round frame with Velcro holding the mesh sides . So maybe. My honest opinion is to invest in a new cage, it will be cheaper in the long run. If you can’t get a refund I would keep it and save it for another animal. You don’t need to spend a lot on a cage. Look up Diy screen cage. The things that will kill a chameleon fast are lack of proper hydration, proper UV, proper supplements, and lack of ventilation. It only maters that these are met. It doesn’t have to be pretty or brand name. Look up butterfly cage. 24x24x36 is a great size to start for about $40. Focus on getting a 24in 6% or 5.0 T5HO. The rest can be managed by hand misting
Ya. I was thinking to just build one that’s what he needs and just do light adjustments for him temporarily until it’s done. But seriously this cage is so neat I am really thinking of keeping it for something else for sure

Ya. I was thinking to just build one that’s what he needs and just do light adjustments for him temporarily until it’s done. But seriously this cage is so neat I am really thinking of keeping it for something else for sure
Crested Gecko 👍. I really like the cage too.

Just about any new caladonian gecko that isn’t too big really chameleon gecko perhaps which maybe not chameleons, possibly even small aroboeal snakes or even butterflies

Back
Top Bottom