New owner / dark in color

I have been constantly driving myself crazy trying to make sure Ozzy is ok. I wasn’t told exactly how old he was when I bought him.
I am thinking maybe 5 months
Is this color normal for all day?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 75
I have been constantly driving myself crazy trying to make sure Ozzy is ok. I wasn’t told exactly how old he was when I bought him.
I am thinking maybe 5 months
Is this color normal for all day?
Can you post a picture of the entire cage including lighting on top?

the light on roof doesn’t work on this side so I added one myself and he prefers that side to bask

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 62
Ok so that is what I thought... The cage is not the right type for him. While it is an awesome cage it would be better for a different reptile. And looks like your either using a compact UVB bulbs or no UVB bulb... They have to have a linear UVB fixture typically a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb. He is showing stress colors.

Start reading through everything in this husbandry program it will help you understand why he is not a happy guy. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Well what is wrong with this cage j/w. I am really disappointed. The pet shop didn’t sell me the right stuff the first time so I was out 150$ and I read a lot about cages and I thought the size of this one was ok and all the lbranches I just paid over 165$to do all this yikes.

Well what is wrong with this cage j/w. I am really disappointed. The pet shop didn’t sell me the right stuff the first time so I was out 150$ and I read a lot about cages and I thought the size of this one was ok and all the lbranches I just paid over 165$to do all this yikes.
We get that a lot (pet shops selling new cham owners the wrong stuff). You're far from alone.
Many folks have paid up to $1000 or more to get completely set up for a cham. Some corners can be cut, but chameleons are not a casual/easy pet.

He should be in a minimum 24" x 24" x 48"H enclosure, screened or hybrid depending on your location. All-screen can be made to work, but may take some modifying.

Neither of those UVBs are ideal. The first is just wrong (not enough range) and the second (T8) is older technology, and doesn't have the range or life of a linear T5.

You can find lists & sources of the correct equipment on https://caskabove.com/

This is the bulb I am using
I know it is never fun to hear that the petstore sold you all the wrong stuff. I was once a victim of petco as well. But with your cage there are no branches. There is the center column which is what he is holding on to. They do not bask from the side like that.

The UVB is incorrect as well. Compact bulbs lead to chameleons developing MBD. That one specifically has a very shallow depth of UVB penetration. And if he climbs on the screen he would be in over exposure limits of uvb. So you want a linear t5ho fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb and then the fixture sitting on top of the cage with the closest branch below being 8-9 inches down. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...8,B08P2D3GKK,B07DCTN9QY,B07PNK42W8,B091YFGSBP

Your wanting more of a set up like this because they are arboreal. And you want something that is at least 2ftx2ftx4ft tall.

Ok, well. That was a lot to take out n. This journey is a lot more expensive than I had expected and honestly I do feel like a victim of a pet shop! Because this purchase was a bad one unfortunately he is gonna have to be stressed out until I can save enough money to buy him another one. I thought these branches would be great for him. Ugh!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 49
We get that a lot (pet shops selling new cham owners the wrong stuff). You're far from alone.
Many folks have paid up to $1000 or more to get completely set up for a cham. Some corners can be cut, but chameleons are not a casual/easy pet.

He should be in a minimum 24" x 24" x 48"H enclosure, screened or hybrid depending on your location. All-screen can be made to work, but may take some modifying.

Neither of those UVBs are ideal. The first is just wrong (not enough range) and the second (T8) is older technology, and doesn't have the range or life of a linear T5.

You can find lists & sources of the correct equipment on https://caskabove.com

Wow that’s extensive. I guess this is one to remember for me. I really enjoy him and don’t want to give up. I felt extremely defeated for a few minutes there.

I’m so sorry you were Taken advantage of by the pet store. Most of us were to be honest. Welcome by the way. You have come to the right place and the first step is asking questions and taking advice and doing what you can to make things better for your Cham. Everyone here are very helpful.

I’m so sorry you were Taken advantage of by the pet store. Most of us were to be honest. Welcome by the way. I hope you can make some changes soon for his well being.
Me too. I actually just bought this enclosure a week ago. I guess I will put it up for sale and see if I can get my money back.
Otherwise it might be a couple of weeks before I can afford to do a bunch of purchases for him. It’s really my fault I should have thought more in detail and did more research before making an impulsive decision being a first time chameleon owner and all. But I have really enjoyed catering for him everyday. Watering and feeding him and watching him.

Don't give up. It sounds worse than it is. Where as there are upgrades that need to be made there are only a couple that are right now issues. Primarily a proper UVB. The rest can be handled fairly inexpensively. Though not perfect the cage with a proper light is ok for now. Branches can be collected outside. Is the cage screen. All is not lost. $165 isn't bad and much is still useable. A 24in UVB fixture and bulb is going to run about $50 - $60 . You can make due with the rest if you set it up proper. This will last till a larger cage. Look on my site www.caskabove.com and look at the cheap housing. The butterfly cages are very affordable.

Back
Top Bottom