New Melleri: part cham and part seal?

chrisw

Established Member
Here is a pic of my new Melleri that I purchased from FluxLizard. If you've ever thought about owning a Melleri - now is the time! Rarely see these as CB and he has some good specimens and some good advice for keepers. Worth the extra cash IMO. Two things worth noting in terms of care and where these guys really depart from Panthers. First - they love water. I give mine a 20 minute misting twice a day and he sits and waits for it. My panthers, in general, do not like to be hit by the direct mist. The Melleri seeks it out. He sits directly under the mist for the entire 20 minute morning session - as you can see from the picture. He does not necessarily repeat this behavior in the afternoon. Also - Melleri like it cool. As advised, I offer him UV light, a warm incandescent basking spot but also a bright fluorescent (coil) alternative. I often see him basking under the fluorescent bulb. Until you own a cool weather cham, you may never use "basking" and "fluorescent" in the same sentence!

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 130
How old is he/she? I think it's interesting that Melleri just love water as a species and for other species, it seems to be individual preference. At least in my expxerience, I've had some individuals who just love a good mist and others who would literally run under a leaf to avoid getting hit with the mist directly.

I have a Flux melleri baby too and he enjoys his morning misting. Afternoons are different. He still drinks but not like the morning time. They are truly fascinating chams with lots of personality. Yes, they are a cooler species.

Are they not one of the cutest things ever! Your lil guy looks like a sweetie!!

I love my little Randy! S/he loves the water and the little free range time in the window. S/he waits for me every morning watching my every move until I unzip her cage for her morning shower.

I also have a rescue Earl and he is the biggest baby. They are just a wonderful species to work with :D

I think all offspring from Fluxlizard are abut 5 1/2 months old. Hard to tell but I would guess that mine is 3 to 3 1/2 inches in length - snout to vent. Love of water is certainly linked to locales. Chams from cool, rainy locales probably love water in general. Chams from drier climates need water but most likely tolerate it at different levels - maybe even based on how water was introduced by the breeder and later the keeper. They are different - like I mentioned, all 3 of my panthers like to drink but would prefer not to sit under the mister. My cooler weather chams like the Melleri and my Fischers enjoy the mist as expected.

Back
Top Bottom