New Lady Chameleon (Luna)

TinyDiamond

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I think around 3 or 4 months. She is about 4 or so inches long from head to tail. She is a Jackson and have had her about 1 week.
Handling - Not a lot. Probably 1 or 2 so far.
Feeding - I use a feeder I made and I leave about 8-10 crickets in there and they are gone in about 36ish hours. I do use mealworms but very sparingly. All my bugs are gutloaded with fresh veggies and fruits. I also use a cricket food but they don't seem to like that much. Looking for a recommendation for calcium and vitamin spray. I mist normally twice a day and have a drip system the drips none stop so she can drink. I have seen her drink a few times. Her droppings look good. Bright white pee and perfect oval shaped poop. And there is that clear liquid around it.

Cage Info:
She is in a fully screened outdoor encloser. Stands about 48x20x20. It's pretty big and she seems happy in it. She gets all natural light. But I do have a heating and ubv lamp for days that it is a little chilly out side.. I do live in Hawaii so it's never really that cold.. right now morings are about 50 degree but heats up to about 75-80 middle of the day. The humidity ranges for 50-75% this time of year. I have live and fake plants. I can't remember the name of the plant. It's like a small tree and she never really leaves the branches unless to bask in the sun. Her encloser is outside on the patio. She get sun till about 1100ish then indirect sun light the rest of the day.

Current Problem - No real problems. Just wanted to get recommendations.

So my last Chameleon made a jail break and is off living his best life in the mountains if Hawaii. Long story but my daughter left his door open when she was feeding him. Naturally he skipped out. Hope he is well. But we decided to get a female Jackson this time. I have a few questions as I have never owned a female chameleon before. The first is about how old will be before she starts laying eggs? And what are the best set ups for her to have a smooth egg laying transition? How much should I be feeding her? I have seen uo to 10ish crickets a day! Seems like a lot. But I gut load with fresh fruit and veggies and cricket fed. My male seemed to be a roamer and was on the ground alot. But Luna seems to love being as high at possible in her encloser. Is this normal? When it comes to vitamins is there anything special for females? Or is it all the same? If there is anything else that I should know please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I think around 3 or 4 months. She is about 4 or so inches long from head to tail. She is a Jackson and have had her about 1 week.
Handling - Not a lot. Probably 1 or 2 so far.
Feeding - I use a feeder I made and I leave about 8-10 crickets in there and they are gone in about 36ish hours. I do use mealworms but very sparingly. All my bugs are gutloaded with fresh veggies and fruits. I also use a cricket food but they don't seem to like that much. Looking for a recommendation for calcium and vitamin spray. I mist normally twice a day and have a drip system the drips none stop so she can drink. I have seen her drink a few times. Her droppings look good. Bright white pee and perfect oval shaped poop. And there is that clear liquid around it.

Cage Info:
She is in a fully screened outdoor encloser. Stands about 48x20x20. It's pretty big and she seems happy in it. She gets all natural light. But I do have a heating and ubv lamp for days that it is a little chilly out side.. I do live in Hawaii so it's never really that cold.. right now morings are about 50 degree but heats up to about 75-80 middle of the day. The humidity ranges for 50-75% this time of year. I have live and fake plants. I can't remember the name of the plant. It's like a small tree and she never really leaves the branches unless to bask in the sun. Her encloser is outside on the patio. She get sun till about 1100ish then indirect sun light the rest of the day.

Current Problem - No real problems. Just wanted to get recommendations.

So my last Chameleon made a jail break and is off living his best life in the mountains if Hawaii. Long story but my daughter left his door open when she was feeding him. Naturally he skipped out. Hope he is well. But we decided to get a female Jackson this time. I have a few questions as I have never owned a female chameleon before. The first is about how old will be before she starts laying eggs? And what are the best set ups for her to have a smooth egg laying transition? How much should I be feeding her? I have seen uo to 10ish crickets a day! Seems like a lot. But I gut load with fresh fruit and veggies and cricket fed. My male seemed to be a roamer and was on the ground alot. But Luna seems to love being as high at possible in her encloser. Is this normal? When it comes to vitamins is there anything special for females? Or is it all the same? If there is anything else that I should know please let me know. Thank you in advance!
Jacksons chameleons do not lay eggs, the give live births. You can search around the forums for females who have not been bred passing slugs.

Congrats on your new little girl. I know you will miss your guy but you are right he can do quite well in Hawaii besides the hills of Kenya there is no place that they do better.

The basic supplement schedule here is acceptable if that is what you already have on hand but because you keep her outdoors you can skip the D3. Daily sunshine will do the job better anyway.
"Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

Females that have not been bred pass unfertilized ova or slugs. trioceros-jacksonii-xantholophus-slugs.86706/
Females are voracious eaters and as adults will become obese. After she is a year and 3-4 months old you will need to start limiting her intake or she will have trouble passing the slugs and you could lose her to a reproductive problem. I feed my adult girls no more than two feeders a day or 4 every other if that's your schedule. If the feeders are small then of course give more. You don't want her tail to look like a balloon animal or so thin you can see the bones.

Males tend to roam more than the females who I find to have a more set routine.

In your case it may matter less. Because you keep outdoors and don't give D3 you might not need much vitamin A/retinol. I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD on my indoor and outdoor Jackson's. I only use it once a month outdoors. It is a multivitamin with a lower dose of D3 and some Vitamin A. I could probably alternate Repashy LoD and a beta carotene multi every other month but most contain more D3. Don't use the Repashy Calcium Plus basic it has too much D3 and the HiD is worse.
I mix som powdered bee pollen in with my plain phosporus free calcium. It may not do anything but is found in their wild diet.
I'm really tiered and don't know if I'm making any sense.

In your case it may matter less. Because you keep outdoors and don't give D3 you might not need much vitamin A/retinol. I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD on my indoor and outdoor Jackson's. I only use it once a month outdoors. It is a multivitamin with a lower dose of D3 and some Vitamin A. I could probably alternate Repashy LoD and a beta carotene multi every other month but most contain more D3. Don't use the Repashy Calcium Plus basic it has too much D3 and the HiD is worse.
I mix som powdered bee pollen in with my plain phosporus free calcium. It may not do anything but is found in their wild diet.
I'm really tiered and don't know if I'm making any sense.
I just got the Repashy Calcium + LoD... since that is a Calcium and vitamin should I do that once or twice a month? I also have Zilla Calcium spray. I was gonna alternate powder and spray every other week. Does that make sense?

On my indoor jack jacks I use it about every two weeks or twice a month. 2-3 days per week I use phosphorus free calcium without D3. I use all supplements very lightly you should barely see the powder on them.
I just remembered you are all outdoor so once monthly on the LoD and 2-3 days per week plain calcium. I am not familiar with the Zilla product so I cannot say if it will be effective.

Back
Top Bottom