New keeper to new keeper- my first month

Franquixote

Established Member
As a new keeper I wanted to create a thread for others from the beginner's point of view. I have had a few major frustrations and although did my research, here's what I DIDN'T learn until I tried it:

DO's
The misting system I have is the Monsoon, and without this I would be screwed. It's the only thing so far that is going exactly right. I would not consider hand misting.

Find a local source of dubia roaches or get a colony going with lots of small ones. They are the only feeder that hasn't let me down. The adults are huge and unless you like bugs are ugly suckers, but the little ones look like "rolly polly" beetles. They don't have an odor in the bin and have so far not ever been seen trying to climb at all.

Tools I needed but weren't mentioned in threads I researched:
a tweezers, a big tweezers, and save a bunch of plastic containers from take out, condiments, salad bars,etc. Also, a good source for "egg cartons" or cardboard for bug enclosures for me has been the 4 cup coffee holders from convenience stores. I asked for a dozen of them from Quick Check (like 7-11) and they were OK with it.

Also plan on putting about twice as many vines/climbing decor as you thought you would need- I underestimated what the animal would use tremendously!

PROBLEMS
SILK WORMS! My panther ate 1-2 and then refused them. 2 of them were dangling on the end of a stick like perfect bait, wiggling for 2 days and they were ignored. They are WAY stickier than I imagined, it's almost impossible to pick one up with a tweezers without having a bunch stick to it, and the silk comes out of their feet so they are hard to deal with. The chow they eat stinks- like mowed grass but 10 times stronger. they made a huge mess fast and were hard to keep clean. I dumped mine outside for the local birds to eat- waste of money. Of course lots of people have success, but I found them a TERRIBLE CHOICE for a beginner.

If you are building a custom enclosure, the smallest diameter hardware screen from home improvement stores has holes big enough for blue bottle flies and small crickets to get out of.

My ambilobe panther refuses not to climb to the top and hang off- which bothers me because I think the UVB is going to hurt his eyes. I am using a fixture from Lightyourreptiles (a sponsor here), a 12% Arcadia bulb. Don't get the quad with the timer unless absolutely needed- if the timer goes the unit is shot. Plan in advance for a way to keep the bulbs at least 10" off the top. I'm screwed on this point because my custom enclosure goes almost to the ceiling.

Sky diving- I freaked out the first time the chameleon fell 3-4 feet. Seems like it is a defense mechanism to jump. Be aware they do it but don't think he is a goner if it happens. Mine has pulled this trick a few times and seems OK.

TRY NOT OT USE USPS to deliver- they screwed me over bad- overnight delivery delayed- his poop/urates look normal now but no telling if there was organ damage because they had him in transit over 2 days.

Hope this helps someone who is doing their research. I'll add more as I think of it. Even though I waited for months and did my research there was a lot I wasn't prepared for, the silkworms being the worst of it since that was what I proposed to use as a staple. In fact, had I known they would have worked out so poorly, I honestly may have chosen to go with a crested gecko instead.

Good luck, and OM me if I can answer any questions.

Most of the things you stated are really not used like the tweezers, some chameleons won't touch Dubia roaches (Like mine) Silk worms are a great feeder, why is your Panther sky diving so much?

My cham will no eat dubia's either!! When he was younger all he would eat was crickets but after talking the advice of people who know what they are talking about he will eat almost anything!

Silkworms are easy if you follow the plethora of advice given by people with experience!

There is a lot of misleading advice you have given in your post. I encourage anyone who is new to keeping a cham or who is considering getting a cham to do your own research and to get advice from experienced keepers!!

Not trying to be hard on you man, but the monsoon is probably going to go on your "don't" list in a few months :/ also, weren't you keeping snails? Curious how it's been

Monsoon is keeping everything dripping where I want it- what's the problem with them?
Snails were a disaster- horribly messy and required as much care as the chameleon itself - donating them to the biology teacher I work with

Not sure how anyone could say silkworms are easy- they clump together, the food stinks, they need constant changing because they eat/crap so much...

Monsoons notoriously break after a few months, nothing wrong with the function itself that I know of.
I got my snails, they're pretty messy, but all are thriving, have them in a pretty large bin, tons of isopods/springs. I'll have to clean them soon(mainly the lids...), but once the custodians take off from all the waste, I suspect it'll be easier.
Personally, I agree with you on silkworms. I failed with them like 3x before getting off andee who had very high quality ones. Most of the regular silkworms from the feeder sites die easily if you don't constantly clean them, wash hands, etc. You need a good screen in place to allow poop to fall through. Even if everything's right they're still very delicate and a pain in the ass. I like to use them as treats because of this.

Yeah we seem to be on the same page mostly- honestly, in the summer as a teacher I had the time to devote to this but now that school is back in session I'm really worried about how I am going to care for him. It's like 10X harder than I remember my veiled being 25 years ago.
The bottle flies were kinda a huge etdown that they could fit through the screen, a problem I can't remedy now for at least 2 weeks, the silks were a complete disaster, and I'm letting crickets free roam in the enclosure which I know is asking for trouble.
I definitely bit off more than I could chew.
The Monsoon has been running all summer trouble free but I use distilled water which might help.
I'm kicking myself now for my hubris with assuming that most of this would work out.
I guess I should be thankful that the plan to scoop up a couple of 500 packs of mantis and stick insect ooths didn't pan out, it'd be like the scene in Creepshow.

Hats off to all you keepers that manage like a dozen colonies of bugs in addition to your lizards. I'm feeling pretty beat down today after dealing with first day back at work- 200 teenagers plus a chameleon make for a pretty tiring day : (

Honestly man, it's a lot to start out with, I was overwhelmed at first, spending hours a day...now I have 6 almost 7 chameleons. And I only spend 30 min - hour a day(I choose to take that long with my free time though). Once you get a routine going it's pretty easy to automate. Just takes time to get comfortable with. I jumped in with too much, like I always do. I'd start 5 bug colonies and order 2 chameleons at once, rather than get everything settled with 1 and move to the next.

Overall it's good you posted some first timer experience, I think some people were being hard on you for no reason. Hope you can work things out, post here if you have any questions.

English! Yes , high school.
I am overwhelmed. I have so much time and money in this setup though, plus I don't know how I'd go about finding a responsible keeper to take over.

English! Yes , high school.
I am overwhelmed. I have so much time and money in this setup though, plus I don't know how I'd go about finding a responsible keeper to take over.
I am new also and I, too, had the Monsoon. I then caved and got the Mist King (thank Goodness). I set it up by myself (I'm not handy, live in a one bedroom apartment and borrowed my partner's drill haha now I have my own from a sale on Amazon). You only need a bucket and lid and you're good to go. I kept the Monsoon around a few extra weeks before returning it once I was confident in my MK setup. It saves soooooooo much time and energy and stress. I promise you. If there's anything to invest in at this point to make life less stressful, it's a Mist King.

Question, just to make sure, why do you think tweezers are necessary?
Here's why..pick up the screen from silkworm containers. Pick out dead ones. Pick BSFL/waxworms etc. out of their bedding, and on and on! How can you live without them LOL. I leave mine soaking in F10 adn they are used every day.

Back
Top Bottom