new jackson wont eat

metteycolin

I just recently purchased a male Jackson >1yr old, and i cannot get him to eat. The crickets that i am using pretty much crawl on his face (free range), and the meal worms in the feeder cup just sit there. I have read that he may be just adjusting to his new habitat, but i am still nervous, i just want him to eat. I have seen him drink ~8 times in the 4 days i have had him, also have seen him poop. Do you have any idea when he will eat? how long can he go without eating??? please comment!

Hello!

Welcome to Chameleon Forums! :)

Super glad to have you here. ;)

A healthy adult chameleon can go at least a week without food.

Water is more important, so if he is drinking, that is a good thing. ;)

If it has just been four days, I would not worry. They often do not eat everyday, especially when they become adults, or close to adults.

Could you share pictures of him, and how he is housed?

I would remove all feeders from the enclosure for now.

I have had a older male Jackson's that didn't eat for several days when I first got him. I have now had him 6 weeks and he is very regular. He likes to eat early in the morning from a hanging feeder cup, will still eat later sometimes, especially any escaped crickets. So get into a routine, maybe try a feeder cup? Give home some down time when you feed him and he should come around. Hope this helps.

I just took out the free range crickets, should i keep the meal worms in the feeder bowl for now? or should i take them out as well?

I just took out the free range crickets, should i keep the meal worms in the feeder bowl for now? or should i take them out as well?

Good :)

Free ranged crickets can eat on the chameleon at nite.
Its not extremely common, but it happens, and isnt worth the risk. IMO.

I would remove the worms as well.
Mealworms/superworms are not very healthy, and should only be given as a treat, maybe one, once a week at most. IMO

It usually takes a chameleon a few days, to a week to settle in, and feel comfortable enough to eat.
If the chameleon does not feel safe, it will be very hesitant to eat.
Does he have plants and foliage to hide in?
Just having foliage in his enclosure will make him feel much safer.

The best thing to do, is give him as much privacy as possible at first.

I would place two crickets in the enclosure in the morning, and see if he takes them throughout the day. If they are still there in the evening, remove them.

He will eat when he needs to, if food is available.

Are you dusting the feeders with any supplements?

Thanks thats very helpful, i dusted the meal worms with calcium w/no D3 but not the crickets. for foliage he has a quite full umbrella tree, and some fake plants on the side of the cage, lots of places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom