New here , and with chameleons :)

Dgood

Established Member
* #1 * * *
Today, 12:11 AM
Dgood

First jacksons chameleon! Any tips please?
Hey guys I'm new to the website and as well with chameleons. I have a pretty good knowledge of reptiles and there basic needs but I know chameleons are more challenging to own. I have a baby/juvinile female jacksons chameleon I picked up from a reptile shop in town, I have it in a Exxo-terra 12x12x18 to start, with lots of foliage for her to climb and hide. I also have a lot of branches placed throughout so she can climb as she pleases. I really didn't hear a good substrate to use if any so I have some jungle moss( no pieces are to small to ingest). But if any one has any suggestions about that please let me know! I mist the cage lighty multiple times a day because I have nothing better to do. I have two cups at the top for a drip system I only need to fill it up once a day, they drip pretty slow throughout the whole day. A reptisun 5.0 UVB build with a heat lamp. I don't use the heat lamp that much because it seems to heat up the whole cage to around 79 degree when I leave it up for long periods of time. The humidity stays pretty steady from 55-73%. I have a supplement with d3 that I have only used once, and am looking for a good calcium supp. But I've heard of so many different brands! What would be best for my jackson? I also have a mini fan a couple feet away from the tank, I figured this would help with the ventilation are circulation. Please ! Any feed back would be very much appreciated and I'm excited to be a new chameleon owner!!!

I don't own a panther so I can only help you with some things. :D

The cups are ok. As for misting your gonna wanna keep doing that a few times a day or buy an automatic mister it will make you life vary easy. Also if your Cham is older then 4-6 months your gonna wanna buy or build him/ her a new tank. As for substrate nothing is best sounds weird ( I thought so at first to ) but its because you don't want your Cham to be shooting for a cricket on the bottom and get a mouth full of moss. Witch could cause problems. :) and no one wants that:(

Other then that some pics would be great if you need help on how to get pics on here you can pm and I will help you out with that:D and other then all that every thing sounds good to me. But like I said I do t know much a out panthers so I would wait for someone with experience to give you some feed back on the rest. Hope I could help you a little. :D

Oh I almost forgot :eek: welcome to the forum a ton of great Info and great Knowledgeable guys and gals on her to help you out. :D

Hey there!

Here's going to be the first most helpful link:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Pay VERY close attention to the supplementation section. I personally use rep-cal, but everyone has their own opinion and some have it down to a science.

Next try to figure out how to get a basking area and cool area set up without baking the whole cage. I use a repti-breeze cage and put the basking light over his highest branch in the corner of the tank.

Lastly misting is very important because they drink off walls and leaves and and stay away from water bowls.

I think once you set everything up the way you like it though you'll be a pro. Have fun!

I'm not sure of her age but if I had to guess I would say about 3-5 months so a new cage is probably one of the next things I would get. It's a jacksons chameleon ha, but thank you for your info I'll defiantly take it into account :) I'm excited about my new chameleon and want to make sure she's as happy and as heathly as possible :D I'm glad to be a member!! Thanks!!!!

I just read the supplement page, it seems simple enough :) thank you. I've got the lamp in the corner with her branch so she can bask but I had to move the lamp way away. I will probably need to get two thermometers instead of 1 to be more accurate. I've seen her lap water off leaves a couple of times and off the glass as well. I was spraying the cage one day and she looked up on her branch and tried to lick up a drip that was falling from the bottle. I put the bottle a a little bit away from her head and let the bottle slowly drip and she actually took a couple drinks from it!! She must have been thirsty? Does anyone elses Cham do that? But thanks for the in fo :D

Mine will drink from the dripping mister nozzle. If you can align your dripper to drip down a leaf they will probably go to there for fresh water.

I agree with the two thermometers definitely. I have a temp/humidity under the basking spot and one in a cool spot, so I can keep an eye on the temperature options.

Yeah they're tons of fun and super cute. You'll have lots of fun with her, especially during feeding times ;)

I'm not sure of her age but if I had to guess I would say about 3-5 months so a new cage is probably one of the next things I would get. It's a jacksons chameleon ha, but thank you for your info I'll defiantly take it into account :) I'm excited about my new chameleon and want to make sure she's as happy and as heathly as possible :D I'm glad to be a member!! Thanks!!!!

Oh sorry lol it was late last night but its pretty general info. I don't know how I got panther out of Jacksons hahahaha:rolleyes::D

It's all good ha ha thank you guys for your input I will gladly take any help I can :). I cleaned her cage this morning and let her get some sun I removed all the substrate so now it's just a glass bottom. What do you guys think about the mini fan? A good idea?

If its a glass terrarium it might help I'm not sure or if its a room that doesn't get a lot of circulation you could probably use it. But I'd wait and see what others say cause i could be wrong. If you think the bottom looks bad you can use rocks that are to big to fit in your chams mouth. Also one thing you must make sure you have drainage Cause crickets love to die in standing water on the bottom. And they will cause respiratory infections and all sorts of bad stuff.

But I don't remember if you you had a screen or glass terrarium :confused:

Yea it's a glass exxoterra tank. But I'm probably going to build her a screen one here soon. I figured the fan would help evaporate some of the water at the bottom, and make it not stagnant. But her cage is on my tallest dresser in the corner of my room( which is the basement). About the drainage . . . . . I'm going to need to get a new tank unless I can cut a hole in the glass bottom. But I'm making sure there are no dead crickets at all in the cage, or even urates, I was told by the person I got her from that it's easy to get r.i for them so I'm being extra catuious with that:eek:

Yea it's a glass exxoterra tank. But I'm probably going to build her a screen one here soon. I figured the fan would help evaporate some of the water at the bottom, and make it not stagnant. But her cage is on my tallest dresser in the corner of my room( which is the basement). About the drainage . . . . . I'm going to need to get a new tank unless I can cut a hole in the glass bottom. But I'm making sure there are no dead crickets at all in the cage, or even urates, I was told by the person I got her from that it's easy to get r.i for them so I'm being extra catuious with that:eek:

Ya the screen enclosures are easy to build. You just have to be careful what use for screen some types will rip the nails off your Cham. As for drainage you can put pieces of paper towel on the bottom. That way your not In Her tank so much. :D:)

I sent you a pm I don't know if it sent. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom